Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replace airconditioner cover on older unit

Received in an email from Barry:

Quote:
My 20 yr old Coleman mini mach still cools the coach well but the shroud succumbed to the elements and is no longer available, after checking the sizes of the replacement offered by Tuff Maxx I figured it was worth a try, the footprint is about the same but its too tall, 30 minutes later with a jig saw and some stainless sheet metal screws I have a cover that looks like it belongs there, I will be happy to give more details to anyone on the forum with similar unit.

1988 Xplorer, Nashville TN
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Silver Member

-If I had a nickel for all the RV A/C covers I've seen laying beside the roadway over the years..

Old 08-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

My AC shroud has seen better days. It's still on my AC and as far as I know, it's from 1977 when my RV was made.

It had become quite weather beaten and was breaking in numerous spots and was quite brittle. Since the AC is larger than any newer models, I couldn't find any new shrouds for it. I ended up sanding the shroud (very gently), used a special primer on it, took some mesh cloth that is used with liquid rubber, covered the shroud and then covered that with liquid rubber. It put a nice new flexible layer over it and it's now nice and solid but flexible.

I had some of the mesh left over from when I replaced the roof on my RV. It was full of holes and rusted through. (Yes, it had a steel roof). I replaced all the plywood, put one layer of fiberglass over the plywood and then covered that with the liquid rubber and mesh. It doesn't have any leaks now.

I did purchase a vinyl cover for the AC but it didn't last very long. All I do now is use a cheap tarpaulin and cover the AC when the RV is stored for the winter.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote