Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replaced Pleasure-Way Plateau TV with new HDTV

With the digital change over coming we decided to replace our old TV with a new digital HDTV instead of installing a converter box. Thiswas prompted by the fact that our Concept DVD player quit playing and also needed replacing.

The old Samsung TV is actually a computer monitor with a built in TV Tuner. Although it is an LCD it is still analog and needed a converter box. The screen was also more square than current HDTV standards. It was precisely built into the cabinet and there was no way we would ever find a suitable replacement that could fit nicely into the existing opening.

The old TV with separate Concept DVD player above.

To remove the old TV you have to remove a plywood cover at the bottom of the cabinet by removing 4 Robertson screws and then we could unscrew the TV mount by reaching up and removing two wing nuts on 1/4" machine screws that held the TV to a plywood mount.

This is the back of the removed TV showing the two screws that attached it to the mount and the other connections. As you can see Pleasure-Way created an elaborate custom plywood mounting system to attach the TV. Workmanship of the cabinet was precise and superb.

Inside the opening you can see the plywood bracket built in. You can see the 400W inverter on the left that the TV plugs in to. The little red box directly behind the brace is the antenna amplifier I believe. I didn't do anything with it.

We re-used the brace but drilled two new holes for mounting an adjustable wall TV arm with two new 1/4" x 1-1/2" long machine screws and re-using the two wing nuts along with a washer and lock washer. The adjustable arm can swing out so you can turn the TV around or left and right tilt or adjust its up and down tilt. You just have to make sure the arm you use will fit in the opening. We installed the new TV on the arm and plugged in the coaxial cable and speaker connection. The power plugs into the existing 400W inverter inside the cabinet so it can run on 120V or 12V. We left the DVD player (red, white, yellow) connections alone as they were no longer necessary.

The new TV we installed was a TrueTech 19" HDTV with a built-in DVD player that we bought at Target when it was on sale for $269. It probably isn't the best TV in the world but it works and solved two problems easily. We left the Concept DVD player alone for now just to plug the cabinet hole since it would have also been a pain to get to anyway. We could add a new DVD player or just a CD/Radio in the future if we choose.

We get a lot more channels with the new setup where we are at home compared to our old TV so we hope that portends a promising future. The Wineguard amplifier is needed or you get nothing. The Wineguard batwing antenna works. The new TV also scans for channels which allows you to narrow down the clicker to only found channels. Also, the remote works for both TV and DVD so two remotes are no longer needed. One more bonus. The inverter has two plugs. We now have access to it to use it for charging batteries, etc., without needing the 12V adapters. The mounting arm seems substantial enough with hand tightening knobs to hold the TV steady but if it proves otherwise we may stretch a bungie cord across connecting to two concealed eye hooks inside the cabinet.

The whole job including a quick trip to the hardware store for the two screws and washers took about 2 hours.

We are now ready for February 2009.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Replaced Pleasure-Way Plateau TV with new HDTV

I too purchased a new HDTV - kept it a few days then took it back to the store. Decided that I didn't need to spend more $s for something that I already have. (I've found that I don't really watch much TV while on the road - and, it's usually a DVD anyway).

I installed a (govt sponsored) converter box that has an analog pass-thru - the whole set-up (TV/DVD Player/Box) works very well - doesn't take-up anything but already empty space and I don't have any problem with another remote.

Good for you tho - bet you'll enjoy the new TV.
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Several things. As I explained I needed a new DVD player as well as a converter box to make the old TV fully work. The second is I have seen digital broadcast on a wider screen vs the letterbox of the picture and feel you get more bang for your buck with a wider ratio screen than the old analog 4/3rds standard. Also wide screen DVDs look better as well. I upgraded from a 17" to a 19" monitor. The converter box will enable you to see digital on an analog monitor but you won't get true HDTV reception.

Despite all that, we too watch little TV on the road. I usually can only tolerate catching a local weather forecast and a little bit of news. It will probably be used for DVDs on inclement days.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting your modification Davydd. I'd like to see more Pleasure-Way mods posted on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
...................... One more bonus. The inverter has two plugs. We now have access to it to use it for charging batteries, etc., without needing the 12V adapters........
That is a bonus. The inverter looks like it might be large enough to charge a laptop.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It should. It is a 400W inverter. Of course you would be draining one battery for the other. Kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I may take the old monitor and set it up with my laptop in my home office. It might be good for CAD work having the drawing surface on one monitor and the tools on the other. Same with Photoshop work. Being a computer monitor was the original intent of Samsung. Since it had a built-in TV tuner the B van converters adopted it for a TV.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #6

Davydd,

Since our DVD player isn't working right, we're going to have to make this change too. Took it to Best Buy the other day to have an installer (the repair guys often know so much more than the sales staff) suggest what we could do, and he basically threw up his hands. He didn't know, they didn't have anything that would fit. Even though the pictures have been removed (grrr), your descriptions are so clear it's easy to understand exactly what and how you achieved this fine result. We'll pursue that.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #7

Default HELP! Hooking up new tv to existing wiring!

Our 2005 Pleasure Way Plateau's old original Samsung tv/monitor died. We have installed a new Vizio 24" flat screen in it's place on a swiveling mount. The issue is......hooking up the wiring/cables the correct way. Have tv powered up but NO Signal!!!!! Now what do I do?
fxpthl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Coordinate the "Input" setting on your new tv to correspond with what source your signal comes from. For example, your tv may be looking for HDMI input when you're signal is coming in on a coaxial antenna.

Edit: Once you've verified the above issue, be sure to run a new channel scan so your new tv can identify which channels are available.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:54 AM   #9
Platinum Member

12 year old thread. I see Photobucket has deleted my linked photos but they are still on Photobucket. Needless to say, I won't have anything to do with Photobucket now. They can hold me hostage for pay but they didn't honor linked photos prior to changing.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:13 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
12 year old thread. I see Photobucket has deleted my linked photos but they are still on Photobucket. Needless to say, I won't have anything to do with Photobucket now. They can hold me hostage for pay but they didn't honor linked photos prior to changing.
Photobucket is not alone; Google Picasa had similar regards for customers, fortunately they provided a way out.

I have all my digital and scanned photo corrections in my copy of the Adobe Lightroom, and recently Adobe decided to provide updates for subscription users only so I am in the long process of transferring to still new ON1. Luckily, I have all originals in my own storage in JPEG and RAW formats.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:09 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Photobucket is not alone; Google Picasa had similar regards for customers, fortunately they provided a way out.

I have all my digital and scanned photo corrections in my copy of the Adobe Lightroom, and recently Adobe decided to provide updates for subscription users only so I am in the long process of transferring to still new ON1. Luckily, I have all originals in my own storage in JPEG and RAW formats.
What is it that they say about "free lunch"?

I try to avoid cloud services like the plague. I can't wait until somebody writes a viable peer-to-peer forum system.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:29 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
What is it that they say about "free lunch"?

I try to avoid cloud services like the plague. I can't wait until somebody writes a viable peer-to-peer forum system.
It wasn’t free, individual copies had updates included for about 2 years, which was my time to purchase a new version and continue with Lightroom. By going to support for subscription users only my cost would triple and Adobe subscription-based software would force users to their cloud storage, I declined.

ON1 developed software capable to import corrections from Lightroom, it is fully comparable with Lightroom, in some aspect better in some not.

I am not alone Adobe is losing as a customer, perhaps they didn’t fully evaluate potential unintended consequences while being blinded by money. Just searched “Lightroom Classis Frustration”

ON1 has great RAW profiles and lenses corrections, for Sony better than Adobe.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpthl64 View Post
Our 2005 Pleasure Way Plateau's old original Samsung tv/monitor died. We have installed a new Vizio 24" flat screen in it's place on a swiveling mount. The issue is......hooking up the wiring/cables the correct way. Have tv powered up but NO Signal!!!!! Now what do I do?
New member posted this tv question yesterday, which is what I was responding to.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
It wasn’t free, individual copies had updates included for about 2 years, which was my time to purchase a new version and continue with Lightroom. By going to support for subscription users only my cost would triple and Adobe subscription-based software would force users to their cloud storage, I declined.
Exactly the same thing they did with Photoshop a few years ago. I am carefully preserving an antique Macintosh, because it it running the last unencumbered version of Photoshop.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I was an original beta tester when John and Thomas Knoll, pre-Adobe, developed Photoshop to work in black and white on the original Macintosh. I still have the disk (I hope) and my original first 100 day Mac but I doubt I could resurrect it. That was in 1988. I got John Knoll to moderate a sub-forum for Photoshop on my Macintosh Graphic Arts & CAD forum on Applelink Personal Edition that was renamed America Online.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Have tv powered up but NO Signal!!!!! Now what do I do?

do you have the antenna amplifier on ( usually in cabinet behind the tv)

I replaced the TV in my 2006 PW Lexor a few years ago

I chose a 21" samsung which is 14 volt DC native and has a headphone out, which worked with the previous wiring scheme

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #17

Im needing to replace my tv in 2009 PW. Can’t find 19” tv. How did you put in larger tv ?
jston1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:38 PM   #18

Quote:
How did you install your tv? Did you have to take swinging door off. What type of swivel mount did you use? I have 2009 Excel PW and needing to replace 19” tv.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #19
Platinum Member

I replaced my original 19" monitor with a 21" TV with integrated DVD player in my 2005 Pleasureway Plateau. My DVD player was dying and I hated the noisy inverter the monitor was plugged into. Mine did not have a swinging door for the TV, it was fixed in the cabinet.

I removed the cabinet and my partner screwed a bracket across the middle of the cutout for the monitor and I attached a bracket to it. The new TV height is less than the monitor, I always planned to come up with a better looking solution but so far I haven't. I rewired the whole mess, put in a new quieter pure sine inverter in the same location as the old one (which I don't use) and a 12v outlet, voltage meter and dual USB charger in the location where the DVD player had been. When we watch TV or a movie I plug it into the 12v socket, it uses less power than the old system and i use the USB chargers a lot.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I replaced my original 19" monitor with a 21" TV with integrated DVD player in my 2005 Pleasureway Plateau. My DVD player was dying and I hated the noisy inverter the monitor was plugged into. Mine did not have a swinging door for the TV, it was fixed in the cabinet.

I removed the cabinet and my partner screwed a bracket across the middle of the cutout for the monitor and I attached a bracket to it. The new TV height is less than the monitor, I always planned to come up with a better looking solution but so far I haven't. I rewired the whole mess, put in a new quieter pure sine inverter in the same location as the old one (which I don't use) and a 12v outlet, voltage meter and dual USB charger in the location where the DVD player had been. When we watch TV or a movie I plug it into the 12v socket, it uses less power than the old system and i use the USB chargers a lot.
I want to replace my tv in 2009 PW excel. I think I can remove door and use swiveling
Mount. But is the back of cabinet strong enough to support mount?