Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replacing Light Switch on Great West Van

OK, I am ready to head out again! One last thing I had to do was replace a double light switch to our front ceiling lights and our outdoor lights. This OEM switch has failed on me twice. The cheap toggle just gives up the ghost. Once it was repaired under warranty but I am now out of warranty. The original switch will not get a third strike chance.

It is held on with two small wood screws so comes off easily and as you can see the connections are just slip on connections requiring no tools.

The new replacement switch is pretty much a standard switch you see in RVs. In fact the under cabinet light switches in our RV are similar. It is a JR Products switch you can find online in a host of places. It cost me $8.75 but the priority shipping was a whopping $10.80. I figured an 80 mile round trip drive to an RV store would have cost me more. Here are the specs.

In order to put this larger dual light switch on so it would be flush I had to take a saber saw and increase the hole opening to 2-1/4" wide by 1-1/2" high as you see here. The connections plug back in easily. You just have to make sure the switch is in the right orientation to the way you want it.

To finish up I re-used the two wood screws from the old switch to hold the back plate flush, snapped on the cover plate and puttied the two old screw holes that are outside the new cover field. The old rough in hole is completely covered by the new switch plate.

Tools needed were a screw driver (#1 Robertson in this case), a saber saw, 1/4" drill bit hole for the saber saw starter corner, pencil and tape measure.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Replacing Light Switch on Great West Van

great job
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Replacing Light Switch on Great West Van

Nice work, I am sure that I will be referencing this post in the future.