Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default replacing tv

We have a '99 Dodge Leisure Freedom. It has a tv that is up above windshield, between driver and passenger. A definite head bumper. We are thinking about replacing it with a flat screen. Has anyone done this, and how did your project turn out?
judyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: replacing tv

If that's where you want to keep it, there are mounting options available that might
allow you to store a new flat screen out of the way. Otherwise, I finished my replacement
project a couple of months ago and gained a bit of storage space by using a swing arm mount
and moving my new 19'" to the rear of the entertainment unit in my Roadtrek. I now use
the space for charging stuff and as extra storage for whatever needs stored.
Here;s a link with some pics - they're not my pics, but my setup is so similar I didn't need to
add any more.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1283
I went with a Sharp 19" very low power draw (29W nominal) so I could run it off
a smaller portable inverter. It also only weighs 8 lbs. so it isn't as likely to fall off the mounting
arm assembly (I hope!)
Old 11-25-2009, 02:23 AM   #3

Default Re: replacing tv

Hi,

Ours wasn't the greatest solution, but it works pretty good. We removed the box where the old tv was so it is flush with the other two cabinets. We made a new door for it. We bought a little 15 inch flat screen ac/dc tv. Naxa I think. We have a little holder that slides up and down and swivels front or rear. We placced it on the side of the cupboard, above the sink by the double doors. It is pretty much out of the way when going in and out the double doors. we watch ours in the front seats, but you need a neck rest as it doesn't lower as much as I'd like it to. Could easily watch it from the rear. We just added wires that go along the side shelf and into the cupboard up front where the dc outlet and antenna are. I wired it into the VCR also.
RTLover is offline   Reply With Quote