Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek AC replacement

So the old Dometic Model Duotherm 41002.511 AC/heatpump in my 2007 RT Popular 190 finally leaked out its 'mojo', so a replacement may be in order, if any newer model will fit back there. I read Dometic doesn't make one, so what are my options? I'd dearly like something quiet enough to sleep under on those still, sweltering nights. TIA
Kyronecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Roadtrek is still showing the Dometic in the current literature for the Chevies, are you certain it is not available?

A couple of years ago we looked around to see if they were available because they weren't listed on the Dometic site, and the RV dealers could still get them.

They are also used in at least one of the A frame popup trailers, so that might also be a lead to a dealer.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have always thought if we had to replace ours in our 2007 RT 210P we would just fahgetabout the heat pump and find a regular window AC unit whose size and dimensions would work. The heat pump is nice but a little twenty buck electric heater works great in a B and our main concern where we live and go is to stay cool not warm. That being said, it was 23 this morning

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Could be an old page but at least it is a start

http://https://www.dometic.com/en-us...ol-cat-_-20787

http://https://pantherrvproducts.com...r-w-heat-pump/
Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

PPL out of Houston will sell you one. The new one needs a digital thermostat which you can get on EBay for $50 or so. Use 3 of the 13 wires to the analog thermostat to wire it up.

Camping World will sell you one. Any Dometic dealer will sell you one. It is still in production.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek AC replacement

As usual, you engineers out there that make this site such a goldmine of information for us 'non-technical pukes', have given me much to ponder. Yes, I see I was overly pessimistic about Dometic replacement. My local official service center (Campers' Inn of Raynham MA) checked with Dometic, and learned that the recommended replacement is now dubbed the "Cool Cat" (#441004AXX1) and presumably will fit in the space of the "Duotherm" without too much fooling around. The model is described as having an "under the cabinet heat pump", and I'm not sure whether that implies a different layout of the unit. The old unit all fits at the back of the roof line, not "under" anything else. I'm awaiting a formal installation quote.
I do appreciate Paul's suggestion about dropping the heat pump in favor of a little floor heater, which I already have, and prefer for its quieter operation. If I look elsewhere for "a regular window AC unit", I would hope to find a much quieter, preferably cheaper, AC that would fit and not cost the earth to install. But I must ask whether a window AC is rugged enough for RV installation. On anything but smooth asphalt, my RT gives a whole new meaning to the song "Shake, Rattle & Roll"! Is an automotive design essential? I hope somebody out there has already solved these issues, and can guide this "babe-in-the-woods"!
TIA, Guys
Bob
Old 02-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Can't say I have seen anyone who has replaced the Chevy unit with a window unit, but there have been lots of the Dodges done that way. They usually use LG models as that is what fits, and they seem to hold up well AFAIK.

The critical thing besides size is making sure the airflow in and out of the condenser end can be directed properly when not in a window and hanging in the open air.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
Platinum Member

As was explained to me the Cool Cat is a wall unit, not a window unit. All air is sourced or exited out the back, no vents on the side. A window unit has side venting. Also there is airflow to side ducts in the front.

Don't even think about replacing it with a different unit. Be grateful the original one is available.

The new one is exactly like the old one mechanically. It is rated 10,000 BTU as opposed to the original 12,000 BTU because the refrigerant is changed to environmentally friendly.

I have done it. My comments are not hearsay.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Can't say I have seen anyone who has replaced the Chevy unit with a window unit, but there have been lots of the Dodges done that way. They usually use LG models as that is what fits, and they seem to hold up well AFAIK.
I had to do it in my Chevy (link) but it's not the same model year as the OP (mine is a 1999).
Old 02-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Thanks, Arizona, for your experienced advice. I trust that you are saying the Cool Cat (441004AXX1) IS the correct, widely-available replacement unit for the original Duotherm. My local service center has quoted me $1630 to replace it and the thermostat. I wish it were possible to find a cheaper, quieter solution, but your warning re risk for a "non-handyman" is well taken. I almost never use the AC, furnace or generator because of the noise factor, but I suppose they would have to be functional were I to sell the van. I will probably proceed.
On a different issue, does anyone know how to get rust stains out of the soft ceiling material caused by the perennial leakage around the roof line? Very unsightly.
TIA
Bob
Old 02-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Sounds like a reasonable price. It cost me around $1000 out of PPL and a lot of work to get it installed. I would install an EasyStart while it is out but that would add a lot more expense. As you say, we don't use it much but traveling cross country in the summer it is priceless for a good night's sleep. Worth it to me.
Harry

Tags
air conditioner, replacement, roadtrek 190