Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default RT Zion/Simplicity trim attachment repair

I have a 2016 RT Simplicity. While playing around with sleeping situation, I found 3 loose screws that hold the trim to the side of the vehicle. Upon attempting to screw back in, there was no bite. One was at the end so I put my hand behind the panel to feel for the hole and could not feel one. All I felt was solid steel (no hole for tab for screw to go into). This make me believe that the screws are supposed to tap directly into the body.

Can anyone confirm my thought or better yet, have a picture? Right now I am assuming they did not do it right at the factory and that I could readily fix. I have no desire to go to dealer with what is most likely an easy fix. Thanks.
aturner1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I understand you don't want to go to a dealer, but do you implicitly know what's behind that wall? Since it's pretty much new, I would suggest getting the dealer to put it back together rather than potentially screwing into electrical wires and voiding your warranty.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Dealer is a 3.5 hour OW trip. I am more of a DIYer and prefer to know it is done right by myself if possible. I have thought about taking all screws out and removing a panel to see what is behind it anyway. I will probably call dealer over next few days to see if they can provide any insight. Just thought I would check here in case others have done this type of thing or removed a panel and know what is back there. ON the last screw there is definitely only etal as I can get my hand behind the panel.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Personally I would do it myself after taking it apart and making sure I wasn't about to ground out some electrical wiring.

I guess what I was trying to say is that it all depends on your comfort level and safety.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #5
Platinum Member

pretty sure the trim is standard ram promaster trim on the simplicity

ram/promaster dealer could probably
help you
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I removed the entire panel this evening. After taking all screws out it dropped down about three inches. Picture is of top. No true holes at top holding it on - only held by screws going up at angle and into larger holes so they "hang" in the hole. There were holes in the bottom in the sheet metal of the body of the van in two places. On one end it was relying again on the "hang" principle. Upper right nada. I put it all back together and now need a few new screws as the old ones stripped. I am going to drill a pilot hole for one of the screws that had no chance in hell of being in from the factory. Not impressed, but learning opportunity.

Ironically, I called my dealer and a tech thought there would be wood that the screws went into. I lost a little confidence after DIY, although I am sure they work on to many types to really know. thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV trim.jpg (70.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-09-2017, 12:58 AM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner1973 View Post
I removed the entire panel this evening. After taking all screws out it dropped down about three inches. Picture is of top. No true holes at top holding it on - only held by screws going up at angle and into larger holes so they "hang" in the hole. There were holes in the bottom in the sheet metal of the body of the van in two places. On one end it was relying again on the "hang" principle. Upper right nada. I put it all back together and now need a few new screws as the old ones stripped. I am going to drill a pilot hole for one of the screws that had no chance in hell of being in from the factory. Not impressed, but learning opportunity.

Ironically, I called my dealer and a tech thought there would be wood that the screws went into. I lost a little confidence after DIY, although I am sure they work on to many types to really know. thanks.
This is NOT right.

You have to send this to RT.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Sent message to RT. Will be interested in response if any. I should have it all fixed to my expectation this weekend. Quick trip to Lowe's for a few replacement screws.