Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #1

Default Security Locks - Dodge Xplorer 228 1988

Hi

I'm new here and from the UK. My van is stored in WA so I cannot just pop round and look at it. Back in 1988 security obviously wasn't such a big issue and I think anyone could break into my van with a bit of stiffish wire.

This link Motorhome Locks is just to show the kind of deadbolt I'd like to add to the Xplorer. There are several makes that do something similar. I'd need three unless there was some kind of internal bolt I could lock before leaving and just have the deadlock on one door. (They are expensive and would need matching keys).

My question is, has anyone done this and what was your solution?

Thanks
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It looks like a nice product. If you get it installed, please post a pic.

I notice that they do offer locks that are keyed on both sides. I highly recommend that kind. Latch locks can be defeated simply by smashing out the window above them and reaching around to open the lock.

My house was broken into, valuable contents removed, and then the interior of the house was destroyed some years back. Following that incident, I've always installed double-sided deadbolts on my houses, with door frame reinforcements. Need a key to get in, and need a key to get out. Some people don't like that because they worry that they won't be able to find their keys in a fire. Well, in a fire, just go out a window.

And with that people ask, "Well, if you can escape a fire out a window, can't a robber get in through a window?"

Yes, but they don't like to do it and, faced with a choice, will usually move on to an easier target. Houses with double-sided deadbolts are the first sign of higher-than-average security, and that is a deterrent on its face. They don't want to be slowed down by having to carry equipment out the window (which also makes them more visible to the neighborhood), so they typically stop when they can't open the door.

No guarantees, of course. Just general behavioral patterns.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #3

Very interesting and on balance I agree with keys both sides. Some years ago I bought a house in Spain, the number of keys to doors, gates, garage, rejas etc was crazy so I got into the habit of putting the keys in the main door each night ready for an emergency. I still do this today.

I think this would be equally valid in the camper, of course it might not be in the door you wish / need to leave by, but at least you'd be grabbing the key that would fit. (Assuming a matched set of keys of course).

It also occurs to me that leaving camp site drill would also have to include unlocking all the doors. Logic would suggest keys in the camper door overnight, but I wouldn't want deadlocks while on the road, the description of the product might then be just too accurate! lol

The actual picture was on a UK site and these would be dealer fitted in the USA, so still hoping someone with experience will tell me if they did it and fit easily.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

P.S. on what I said above, because some reader is probably going to call "bull" on a double-sided bolt in a vehicle context.

Obviously that would not be the ONLY lock you'd use. You'd have your regular door locks, and you'd only deploy a security bolt during those times when you felt that something extra was appropriate. So you wouldn't necessarily be bolted in every night fumbling for your keys if there were an emergency.

In my neck of the woods, contractors with vans carrying construction equipment... those are very high targets, so they use all kinds of clever locking devices to secure them. I'll try to dig up a few pics.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #5

Well of course yes, I agree, the internal key question is 95% useful when you're not on board. On board you might only use it sleeping in a rest area or similar, on a decent camp site you wouldn't need it.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #6

Kind of hard for me to believe that no elderly class B owners have not increased their security with deadlocks. I really would appreciate comments, product names and personal experiences.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Good thread bump. I'm still researching this subject as time allows.

On the subject of van locks generally, this video is potentially worth 3.5 minutes of everyone's time. The products being pitched are more for securing the van while the owner is away from it. However, a thief coming across such a van would see those extra locks and plates, and would be deterred from choosing that van as a target. Easier to choose one where the door lock can just be punched out in five seconds using established techniques. So, having this kind of equipment would potentially offer a deterrent to criminals while the van is occupied also (boondocking).

I don't yet know if there are analogous U.S. vendors.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:36 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Good thread bump. I'm still researching this subject as time allows.

I don't yet know if there are analogous U.S. vendors.
Doesn't matter. Looks like they will sell you a deadlock kit. That will keep you busy for awhile!
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Doesn't matter. Looks like they will sell you a deadlock kit. That will keep you busy for awhile!
Yes it would, which is why I'm looking for an American installer. This is the kind of job that I'd rather have done professionally. I have inquiries submitted with multiple sources, but it's the weekend and nobody is at work to answer email.

Edit with a factoid: Yet another UK seller, this one claiming that 20,000 vans are broken into in the UK per month. He does not provide a reference for this statistic.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Silver Member

Home - The Auto Bolt

Here is something to consider, still I am not certain this is the best solution. I am looking for something to secure my 2018 RamPromater
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Thanks - I'm going to look at that product.

I also took this question over to Sprinter Forum and hatched this thread below. Talks about the vendor issue generally, but may not offer much to you given that you are trying to fit a non-Sprinter vehicle.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=73615
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #12
Silver Member

https://youtu.be/K1p2litHx_o

ARV offers one for MB
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Thanks for this - I didn't know that they had already tackled this problem.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #14
Platinum Member

If someone wants in your van they are going to get in your van. It literally takes seconds to smash out a window using almost anything available, and tools designed to break windows are easily stored in your pocket.

Glass is always your weak point for your car, home, business. Look into a product called 3M Scotchshield. It's a window security film that keeps the glass together. Yes a thief could still get in, but the typical smash and grab thief does not want to work at getting in to your vehicle. The 3M film makes them work.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I already have 3M CR-70 on my cab windows. It was put on for heat rejection, not for security, but I will note that it seems to be as tough as nails. I can't even get anything to stick to it (like suction cups for device holders or sun shields).

We realize that no security measure is foolproof. But like you say, if they have to crawl in and out of windows, it's a huge deterrent. First of all they can't easily get in and out of the van - the Sprinter's windows are high off the ground. Second of all, even if they do, it's difficult, time consuming and conspicuous for them to be removing items in such an obvious way. The main reason thieves break windows is to grab the door handle and open the door, which is exactly what dead locks prevent.