Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Seelevel gauges

As many others have done, we finally got around to doing the Seelevel conversion after our Horst probes started acting up on our last trip. We were a bit limited in where we could put the sensors because the Horst probes were in some of the best places, but that the way it goes. Stick wherever they will fit. Removing the fresh tank worked really well (thanks Dick Tillenger who had done that previously) and allowed using a sensor on each side of the tank to get better accuracy. Very easy to get the tank out and also allowed me to pad it a little to see if the ride gets quieter. It was relatively free to bounce around.

We used the three tank, two switch, version of the panel as we have only the outside fresh tank. Most of the conversions I have seen modified the Seelevel panel a little to replace the switches with the Roadtrek ones in the old panel, leaving the water heater switch in it's own separate place. Since it looks like the Seelevel panel added an "on" light to the water heater switch, besides the "reset" light, I wanted to use their panel for the water heater. We have forgotten ours on several times and hope the on light will help us remember to turn it off. To be able to do it that way, I had to move the Roadtrek 12 volt on/off switch to the location where the water heater switch was.

The advantage of this way is the water heater light and having the 12v switch where it is less likely to get bumped off (we charge all our stuff on the top of that cabinet). The down side is that the Seelevel wiring is much smaller, and both the water heater and pump run off the same 7 amp fuse. The original setup had them each on their own 10 amp fuse. I checked our draw and we were under 4 amps with both running, so we hope we will be OK.

As long as we needed to check the sensors for dead spots or other problems, we filled each of the tanks 1 gallon at a time from gallon bottle and kept track of the readings on the gauges. The results gave us a good look at the accuracy (not great with the odd shaped tanks), and also allowed me to make a quick chart of actual liquid in the tanks vs Seelevel gauge reading. We had a similar chart for the original 4 light gauge setup, and it worked well for us.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seelevel panel changes.jpg (246.3 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg Seelevel chart.jpg (167.6 KB, 421 views)
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Seelevel gauges

That's a nice upgrade. Problems with tank level readings are often talked about on forums. You and Dick are pretty skilled - and brave - taking out the tank(s) etc.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
Gold Member

Did you use the shorter sensors or the 12” standard ones?
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #4
Platinum Member

It has been a while, but I think they were 12". On the fresh tank I actually used two sensors, on on each side near the rear of the tank, to get full depth coverage, as you can tag them together without issue on the same tank.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:38 AM   #5
Gold Member

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-27-2020, 01:44 AM   #6
Gold Member

Where did you put the black tank sensor? I put mine kn the spot closest to the passenger side rear wheel. Readings are sometimes odd.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaDreamin View Post
Where did you put the black tank sensor? I put mine kn the spot closest to the passenger side rear wheel. Readings are sometimes odd.

That is where I put ours also as it was pretty easy to get at and didn't have old sensors (we had two sets in the tank already) in the way. It also appears to be the tallest part of the tank.

The tank is an odd shape, and it is on one end, so odd readings are probably as good as it will get in terms of linearity. That is why I made the mentioned above chart of readings to actual levels. They should, however, be consistent. Being on one end and a long skinny tank makes it pretty sensitive to out of level conditions, so you sometimes will need to allow for that issue.
Old 06-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #8

I have an older 1997 Pleasure Way STW and our KIB tank level monitor does not work . We boon dock and never do camp grounds so the level of our tanks is more critical . I would like to install a See Level monitor system . MrKabc from the Jayco owners forum has posted great step by step instructions however my wiring is slightly different and although my common sense says that I can do it I would like to get advice from some one who has done this on an older Pleasure Way if possible . My current monitor has grey, black , fresh , battery and light water pump switch .
gowason@rogers.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowason@rogers.com View Post
I have an older 1997 Pleasure Way STW and our KIB tank level monitor does not work . We boon dock and never do camp grounds so the level of our tanks is more critical . I would like to install a See Level monitor system . MrKabc from the Jayco owners forum has posted great step by step instructions however my wiring is slightly different and although my common sense says that I can do it I would like to get advice from some one who has done this on an older Pleasure Way if possible . My current monitor has grey, black , fresh , battery and light water pump switch .
"STW and our KIB tank level monitor does not work..."

What do you mean by STW?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:29 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"STW and our KIB tank level monitor does not work..."

What do you mean by STW?
STW - was just a model designation in those vintage Pleasure-Way vans.

https://pleasureway.com/wp-content/u...y-Brochure.pdf
Old 06-23-2023, 01:53 AM   #11
Gold Member

I just installed the seelevel sensors. EASY, and tehy work well. Taped them on to make sure I have them in the right spot first. I used the existing wires, 1 for all the (white wire) signal and ran the returns to nearest chassis with a self taper. Recommended for sure!!

*KIB is the brand of sensors that I had previously, it's stock Roadtrek stuff