Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2016, 02:07 AM   #1

Default Should i remove a bathroom

I have a 1999 Pleasure way excel that that has 2 seats behind the driver and passenger seats and a bathroom that just has a toilet. Only the toilet because the placement of the extra row of seats has placed the bath further rear and has part of the wheel well in the bathroom.

My questions is does it make any sense to remove the toilet and the bathroom walls for more room and put possibly a work table or additional storage? Will probably hurt resale if I ever sell but the van is already 16 years old. Any ideas on this? Anyone done it before? Suggestions?
rickzabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

IMHO, extra storage &/or work space in a rig that vintage are more important than a toilet you don't plan to use, especially if you boondock .
And, probably won't hurt resale much if you provided a cassette toilet.
Good luck. Ric.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think I'd remove unneeded seating for extra storage before losing the bathroom.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #4

Agree with Mark

I'd rather get rid of a seat up front and expand the bathroom to make it useable for a shower. That would increase resale value. You think not having a toilet/shower is inconsequential, but many base their purchases specifically off this
iplayguitarintheshower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #5

Default Remove bathroom?

I removed my bathroom in our RT170 several years ago. My reasoning was to allow for a larger bed. Use a porti potty. We have not missed the bath area at all.
clermontcubby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:40 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I don't think it would hurt resale value ... it would kill it. But, that's my personal opinion. I would never have even looked at a unit without a bathroom. If you were lucky enough to find a buyer that doesn't care, you'd be OK.
If you really feel that you won't use the toilet, here is what I suggest. Don't take out any walls. Just remove the toilet bowl, put a cover on the hole, and add a bunch of shelves in the bathroom. You'll have lots of storage, and if you change your mind or want to sell, you can revert back to the original design. The best of both worlds.

William
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #7

I agree with WJones. I did something similar. I left the toilet in place, but added a shelf right over it, and a couple more above that. They are all removable. Thus, you can add or remove the shelves as needed based on your trip requirements and bathroom utilization. Thus, when you need storage more than bathroom, or bathroom more than storage, you can easily reconfigure prior to your trip. In a pinch, such as heavy pouring rain, you can still use the bathroom even if configured for storage. Not convenient, but more convenient that trudging out in the rain in the middle of a cold night

IMO, its the best of both worlds.
Reflex439 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, modification, pleasure way