Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2008, 02:26 AM   #21
Silver Member

Today's project.... a carrier platform for the trailer hitch.
Pictures and details later, tired now.
kenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #22
Silver Member

I feel like I'm talking to myself, but on the chance that this all interests some one I'll continue.
The hitch hauler I built last night is 5x2 feet. It has an angle iron frame, 1/2" expanded metal floor, and a round bar on each end, bent at 90 degrees to rest on the bumper on each end, to keep the side to side rocking motion to a minimum. I installed tail-lights because I felt like it sticks out too far behind the bumper without proper marking. I'll post pictures hen I find my SD card.

Last night was the first night I've stayed in this van since it's been done to the point where I'd call it a camper sooner than I'd call it a van. It was the first night one the new cushions , which are comfortable enough, but I didn't sleep well.

Today I finished the 110v wiring. I can run the generator on the hitch hauler and have it plugged into the van to have power while driving for the fridge. There are also outlets for the microwave and tv converter box. Tonight I'm in a friend's driveway and plugged in so I could run the TV, computer, microwave, toaster or Forman grille (bought those applicances today). Pretty cool to have my outlets working with no extension cord trough one of te windows!

Got my table in today also, and even got 90% of the interior put back together... I'm a happy camper!
Old 07-13-2008, 04:47 AM   #23
Platinum Member

You're not talking to yourself ...........

As of today, there have been 546 views on this topic you started! I plan to read everything you and other do-it-yourselfer's have posted to see if it is something I could ever actually do.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 AM   #24
Silver Member

Thanks for responding I;ll keep writing, and will have some pictures soon *(I hope !)
Old 07-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #25

True, just cause we aren't replying doesn't mean we're not interested. I know my limits and will NEVER take on anything like you are doing here. But, I still find it fascinating. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #26
Silver Member

Default Keep posting, Ken..

I am a tinkerer too. I like to read about other folks modifications and I share my own too in the hope someone won't make the same mistakes as I

Besides, it's like watching Ice Road Truckers or Tougher in Alaska on tv..-It's relaxing to see other people working so hard when I'm not..

Best of luck with the van.
Chip
Old 07-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #27
Silver Member

Damn... I actually took pictures with my DIL's camera last night, but she hasn't been able to get them off her camera. I might have to go abd buy another card reader to get them off my own camera (said camera being a hit-or-miss deal when taking pictures as I broke the viewfinder screen a couple of years ago)
Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 AM   #28
Bronze Member

I'm in over my head on a van conversion project myself so I love to read about others' progress.

Keep posting.
K-mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #29
Silver Member

Red, is it similar to this pump?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1P811

I have a Grainger's close to me, so this is VERY tempting.... but it would be nice to have an automatic pump if I'm going electric. Fussy, aren't I?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #30
Silver Member

Ken, that's actually a better pump than the Harbor Freight one. The price is similar. I'd buy it instead.

Just make sure that you wire in a switch instead of a demand-like setup. Water pumps draw a lot of juice and can run the house battery down quickly.

Chip
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #31
Silver Member

Good thing I didn't read your reply before I went to Grainger's today...else I'd now have one more gadget! As it is I bought a switch...3p2d (I think...9 connectors, on-on, no center off) for selecting between inverter current and house current. I'm tired of moving the laptop plug every time I plug or unplug the van. I'm thinking the inverter is going behind my seat, and a remote switch and indicator light in the dash, the selector switch will be on the end of the box that holds the inverter, slightly recessed, but accessable while sitting in my seat. I plan to build the box oversized so that I don't have to build another when I can finally upgrade it.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:29 AM   #32
Silver Member

Default PICTURES!

Well, I finally found my card reader, so I shot a few pictures just now.
The easiest way to show them is a blog I think...so here ya go.
http://miteb.wordpress.com/

Tomorrow I'll try to make it more presentable and get some better pictures so the layout is better seen
Old 07-17-2008, 03:51 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Great job with the blog and the van. Wow - I can’t get over the deal you got on the high top Dodge van ….. $850 !
Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #34
Silver Member

Yeah, he had it for $1000, down from $1995. I offered him $800 and we split his storage fee. Had 131k on it...has 138 now ( 5 months use I think). I do wish I had looked at it a bit more, it's got some rust issues. Mechanically it's great though and doesn't use a drop of oil.
BY the way, counting buying the van I don't yet have $1500 in the entire project.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #35
Silver Member

As a followup... I did a post on the blog today where I list everything I've gotten for the van so far, I think it totaled up just over $1300, counting buying the van. I think that would qualify me as FRUGAL!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #36
Silver Member

Finished the actual walls today. Pictures on the blog.
Now have to do some trim work on that side and finish the sink cabinet and then I can stain! Once that's done all that'll be left is installing the new carpet! I can see the light!
http://miteb.wordpress.com
Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #37
Platinum Member

It's coming along nicely.

Will you stain the new wood to match the darker original oak?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #38
Silver Member

yes, that's my plan. I don't know how close I can match it, but I'm going to make the attempt. The original wood isn't as dark as it apears in the pictures, so maybe I'll come close.
I would love to be able to do it this week.... I'll be away for a week and a half and that would be the perfect time to get all those fumes gone. However.... time isn't likely to let me do that.
Someday too, after the conversion is "done", and the front end of the van is rebuilt, I'd love to find the time and money to paint the van itself. I'm thinking white or silver would help keep it a whole lot cooler in the summer, and look way better than the dark green.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #39
Silver Member

In Arizona, by far the most popular color is white. Even just painting the upper half of the vehicle white makes a noticible difference out here.

Hmm.. Maybe a two-tone? Yellow (Or red or whatever contrast) lower, white above the beltline?

Chip
Old 07-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #40
Silver Member

I like white vehicles...so that's the likely color. It matches my bass boat too.