Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Something similar to Roadtrek's Voltstart?

I'm still in the planning phase and I'm thinking I like the idea of an underhood generator (large alternator) vs a stand alone unit. One of the big draws to roadtrek is the voltstart for automatically starting the engine to charge the batteries. Is there any other make that has a similar product or any third party options?
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Try the search tool. You can autostart an engine in an ARV or you can get a DIY device to autostart an Onan generator.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I'm just starting out, so I didn't know what to search for. I'll give it a shot, thanks.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

There are two parts to implementing "autogen" functionality:

1) Automatically starting the engine. A car alarm company can install a remote-start kit for almost any vehicle. With modern cars, it is tricky, because of all the CANbus controls and associated security. Kits are available for most makes, though.

2) Deciding when to turn things on and off. This needs some kind of programmable controller connected to the remote start and to a battery monitor. ARV uses the Silverleaf system for this purpose. RT appears to use an industrial "HMI" device from a company called "Samkoon". DIY folks can use Arduino boards or similar.

Second engine alternators are great. But, are you sure you really need automatic starting? IMO, it is overkill unless you have a pet.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
Silver Member

TrippLite's RV Inverter/Chargers have an option to auto start a generator when the battery charge gets low. You should be able to tie that output to one of the aformentioned vehicle starters.
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdanielson View Post
TrippLite's RV Inverter/Chargers have an option to auto start a generator when the battery charge gets low. You should be able to tie that output to one of the aformentioned vehicle starters.
Good point. I had forgotten that many high-end chargers have this capability built in, avoiding the need for an external controller.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I think that whatever method that folks can get to work would be good to be based on some of the existing auto generator start setups, as they have the features in them to make them much more user friendly, and neighbor friendly when camping.

I just took a quick look at our Magnum remote manual to see what the do for the AGS (they don't have engine start).

Fully setable to be able to start from voltage, state of charge, time, etc. Can shut off from voltage, amps, time, state of charge, etc.

Has quiet time programming lockout so it won't come on when you shouldn't be using it.

Optional input for temperature controlled starting off a thermostat.

Easy to turn on and off.

What might be a problem in using a charger based system would be that they are going to be looking for a 120v input, not the 14v from the engine. The big question would be if all the controls would still work if the charging was done with 14v with no 110v input.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
Gold Member

Take a look at James’ FITRV Travato. He has a Magnum remote, AGS, BMK and has chosen to auto start and stop the gen based on SOC. Granted this is not an under hood gen sysem, but it may give you some ideas...

Watt’s Up, Doc? Determining 12 Volt Loads in our Class B RV
Old 02-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone. I'm new to RVs so I've got a lot to learn. This forum seems to be super helpful. Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

2) Deciding when to turn things on and off. This needs some kind of programmable controller connected to the remote start and to a battery monitor. ARV uses the Silverleaf system for this purpose. RT appears to use an industrial "HMI" device from a company called "Samkoon". DIY folks can use Arduino boards or similar.
My understanding of the Voltstart implementation...

The Samkoon touch screen display appeared in some initial Ecotrek vans but has not been seen operating and has not appeared since then. I think it was simply there as a system data monitor but hard to know since no one seems to have ever reported on its actual function.

The Voltstart system includes a dash mounted switch and likely a small control box to interface to the coach battery system and to the third party remote start module or possibly directly to the vehicle electronics. The details likely depend on the chassis. I have not seen any description beyond the operating instructions.

For DIY, the use of a small controller board like a small size Ardiuno type board would be the way I would go...

Connecting directly to the vehicle electronics without using a third party remote start module would be possible but likely not easily done without understanding a lot of technical details that may not be readily available to the general public. Probably not something worth attempting for a single implementation except by someone looking for the challenge...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Second engine alternators are great. But, are you sure you really need automatic starting? IMO, it is overkill unless you have a pet.
That's why we would need it as we wouldn't leave our pet in the RV normally, but if we went somewhere that wouldn't accept dogs.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Connecting directly to the vehicle electronics without using a third party remote start module would be possible but likely not easily done without understanding a lot of technical details that may not be readily available to the general public. Probably not something worth attempting for a single implementation except by someone looking for the challenge...
Yes. In current production vehicles, this would be a challenging project indeed. Increasingly, the engine start/stop process is completely under the control of the engine ECU. This is true whether or not the vehicle has pushbutton start. It is very clear when you turn the key of my 2014 Sprinter, the key is simply sending a CANbus "start" signal. Makes no difference how long you hold the key. We are way beyond adding a relay to the starter cable.

On such a vehicle, "autostart" is almost entirely about sending the right CANbus messages. And, just to make matters worse, all of this is tied up with advanced security measures.

It used to be the case that mainstream alarm systems included autostart capabilities built into their CANbus interfaces (such as the DBALL2). But, when you look carefully, many of these features are not supported on current-production vehicles. When I installed an alarm on my Sprinter, it had provisions for autostart, but it doesn't work in 2014+ Sprinters. Last I heard, there were only one or two systems that do so, and they were very expensive.