Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2008, 12:44 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Hello All,
I just found and joined this great forum. My wife and I have been looking to get a Roadtrek for years. We are planning to order one in August of 2009.

This thread has been quiet for a long time. Maybe there are new developments.

Anyway, here goes nothing:

The spare tire will feel the heaviest, at the lowest position. As it comes up, more of the weight is held up by the hinge pin. At the very top position, the tire is very easy to move in & out.

Maybe it is just a photo illusion; but, when the spare tire is down, and the springs are stretched, it looks like the springs are almost aligned with the hinge pin. (I know it is slightly above the hinge pin. Key word is: slightly)

If this is true, the springs are not helping to lift the tire, when the tire is at its heaviest position. The springs are just pulling the two parts together, not helping lift the tire.

If the spring mounts could be moved to a position a few inches above the plane of the hinge pin (with the tire in the lower position), this would create a much stronger force rotating the tire around the hinge pin. The higher the springs mounts are, the more leverge they have on the mechanism, in its lowest position.

It would be easy to test, by placing a spacer between the spring brackets and the square tubing, and tightening up the U-bolts. You could even measure the force necessary to lift the tire, with a bathroom scale, before & after.

Just an observation from a geeky engineer. In any case, this is a wonderful forum, and I will probably not have much to add, until we get our own RT.

Happy Trails
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Photog.

Thanks for the input. That's a great idea - and easy to do.

For me, the hardest part of lifting the tire to its upright position came at about 50% through the lift at the point where you have to switch from lifting to pushing it up. (even harder when it was wet) The springs solved that nicely. I think I mentioned in the thread that, with the springs, I could do it with one hand!

I’m curious. Has anyone else tried this?

I sold my Roadtrek before I got around to adding some sort of mechanism to lock the carrier in the down position so that you could take the tire off without have the carrier snap back upright.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Welcome to the forum Photog.

Thanks for the input. That's a great idea - and easy to do.

For me, the hardest part of lifting the tire to its upright position came at about 50% through the lift at the point where you have to switch from lifting to pushing it up. (even harder when it was wet) The springs solved that nicely. I think I mentioned in the thread that, with the springs, I could do it with one hand!

I’m curious. Has anyone else tried this?

I sold my Roadtrek before I got around to adding some sort of mechanism to lock the carrier in the down position so that you could take the tire off without have the carrier snap back upright.
At the 50% point, your spring setup would have been pulling nicely. So the transition from lifting to pushing was the biggest problem? Is it just an awkward position?
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Yes, awkward and still heavy at that point.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #25

WE have used your idea for almost the last year. WE did make improvements like all stainless steel. We put eye hooks in the angle steel.We use #331 springs from tractor supply. I have a alum wheel for my spare this makes it work great one hand lift.The guys that have made their own use a piece of 1/2 in. pvc between the springs.I have made four for other people and several trekers have made their own.

I always tell everone it was Marcopolos idea and we inproved it.

Wirenut
wirenut34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Stainless & eyehooks..... I like that. Great improvement.

For anyone who has done this, send me a photo (or two, or three ) and I'll post it here. markopolo (at) classbforum (dot) com
Old 12-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default Re: Spare Tire Carrier Springs

I'd still like to post photos of this modification from anyone else who has tried it. I'd love to see any improvements to it. I still remember the first time I raised and lowered the spare tire on my Roadtrek with one hand!

Send me a photo (or go ahead and post it on here) if you've done this or something similar.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Marko, I bought all the materials some time back, but have yet to cut the material and install; it will happen!! I believe I picked up heavy grade springs, on purpose, Home Depot had all the materials. We are in FL, without the RT, and while out walking the other week, we seen two women attempting to lower the tire on a 170; we lowered it for them. Funny, they said it was only the second time in four years they fooled with it. As I was putting it back up I thought of your invention....and mentioned it to them. I referred them to this Forum, and also said I would run off the pixs, materials listing, etc. - said they would talk with a friend "Handyman" to check it out and install. I would have thought RT would have brought something to the table by now; I sent them an e-mail and told them to look at your site.....guess the slide out was more important, ha! Ron
Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Roadtrek tire lift update

With help from a friend - I have more info for anyone who wants or needs a Roadtrek tire lift device.

If you go back to the first page of this thread you find out how to make it yourself. It only takes a few parts and you'll be raising and lowering the spare tire on a Roadtrek with one hand. Mine looked like this:

Two commercial Roadtrek tire lift devices are available.

The first is "Springy Thingy" from Bill Johnson

billhotrodjohnson @ yahoo.com
The price is $135.00 +$15.00 =$150.00.

It is very similar to what I did but the "factory finish" looks much better. I don't see a way to lock it in the down position. I think it would be easier getting the tire on and off in the down position. If you can't lock it then I would expect it to snap back upright with startling velocity when the weight of the tire is off. I'll try to get more info.

The second is EZEE LIFT

EZEE FABRICATORS, LLC
PO Box 427
Mansfield Ctr, CT 06250

email: info @ ezee-lift.com

I've asked them for photos and will post them.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Here's the response from EZEE Fabricators

Quote:
Mark,

Thank you for your e-mail. I am more than happy to provide you with photos and information on the EZEE LIFT. I have had great response since I put the information out. What the EZEE LIFT offers is a high quality compact device which reduces the spare wheel load to a around 20 lbs. The major component is hidden from view under the van which leaves only the pulley block and cable anchor visible, and these blend totally with the sleek lines of the vehicle. The combination of stainless steel, powder coating and high tensile plastic components make the unit completely weather proof.

I have attached 3 photos which show clearly the real advantage of the EZEE LIFT, and I have also provided a link below which allows viewers to see the brochure. Scroll to see both pages.

http://www.unc.edu/~bdkjones/ezee/brochure.pdf

Thanks!

George Jones
EZEE Fabricators,LLC
Here are the photos of EZEE LIFT:

Update from George - new website is http://www.ezee-lift.com/
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Default Re: Spare Tire Carrier Spring Lift

Here's a photo of the link on the EZEE LIFT which locks the tire carrier support arm down when the spare is removed.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #32

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I can raise and lower the tire with one hand! - and I'm a small guy.

My wife like it. It's much easier for her.
that's great!!
LandMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Here are a few more photos of Springy Thingy:

The angle of the springs that keeps it down when the tire is removed. The springs are pulling down when in that position.

Bill also made a table

Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Almost makes we want to add an outside spare tire mount.
That's definitely class.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Here's an update re: EZEE LIFT from George:

Quote:
We last communicated late December when I sent you details on the EZEE LIFT. Since then there have been considerable developments. I now have a web site which not only provides many details, but also allows a purchase of the unit to be made right from the web site.The address is www.ezee-lift.com

The price has been adjusted a bit and I now have fixed shipping costs East of the Mississippi of $18.00 and $27.00 west of the Mississippi. These automatically calculate when someone fills in the purchase form on the web site.
Quote:
By the way, I just received an order from someone in CA who saw the reference on your forum. thank you!!

As more owners of Roadtreks have purchased and installed the EZEE LIFT the word has spread and I am pleased with the way sales have gone.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #36
Platinum Member

We have swapped legal residences, from VA to FL. I was going to copy Marco's design for the lift.....someday and health permitting. Since we are not going back to VA for awhile, I decided to order George's EZEE LIFT. I have tracked it since he brought it out and licked the fit to the RT. I just received an e-mail from George that they were shipping today. We are hoping to get out to the FL Panhandle for a couple of weeks, so I will put it on before we pull out. I know whatever route we take, it beats the lowering/raising as presently configured. Ron
Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #37
Platinum Member

I think you made a good choice Ron. George's Ezee Lift looks much better than my exposed springs in my opinion. Basically, this thread presents options for anyone who needs help with lifting the tire carrier - no matter what you budget is - from $20 to $300 - it can be done.

I would never have thought of using springs the way George did - I tip my hat to him and fully expect that his invention will be offered on new Class B's at some point.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #38
Platinum Member

I received the Ezee-Lift yesterday and installed first thing this morning - before it got hot out!! George has a great product and installation was straightforward, took me about an hour total. I put it up an down a number of times....sure like being able to get to that side of the Trek.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore
I received the Ezee-Lift yesterday and installed first thing this morning - before it got hot out!! George has a great product and installation was straightforward, took me about an hour total. I put it up an down a number of times....sure like being able to get to that side of the Trek.
Thought I would put a link here-first time post for me. I have been working with George on this for a while.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/24307003.cfm
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:22 AM   #40
Ron
Platinum Member

When Rose and I were in IN last week several times I had to get into the rear of the RT, this being on the drivers side rear door. I had to let the Spare Tire Carrier down each time, then I had to put it back up, and that was a B---h.

I sent George an E-mail, told him I was interested in the Ezee-Lift, George informed me that he only had one in stock, was expecting more, having a completion date 23rd of September. Told George I would take the one he had, told Rose on the way back home to MA I was going to stop at George's home and purchase the Ezee-Lift.

Heard what a difference a day makes, well what a difference the Ezee-Lift makes, glad I bought it, well worth the money.

Link to their WebSite:

http://www.ezee-lift.com/

Their E-mail address:\

info@ezee-lift.com

Ron,

Ron & Rose Cabral
New Bedford, MA
2010 Chevy/RoadTrek<>190 Popular
W/PB & Ezee-Lift
FMCA: 303873-02 ~K1RRC~
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote