Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #41

Default Re: Spare Tire Carrier Spring Lift

I've read about that Leisure World Carrier but I wasn't able to find them on line. The posting about their carrier was circa 2006 as I remember.

I'd really like to keep it close to an RT carrier. Anyone purchased or know about this carier and what the link to LW is??

Thanks
Jack
forjack842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #42

Are these carieriers still available?? I have a RT 210 POP and really really need one! Wo is Leasure Travel now - Were they bought out??
forjack842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Leisure Travel looks like they are still in business: http://www.leisurevans.com/freeflight/index.html

The spare tire mount on the current Chevy van, seems to attach to the rear door. Very convenient for enter the rear of the van, but it puts a heavy load on the door hinges. There is a view of the spare tire mount, in one of the videos for this van.

If you contact Leisure Travel directly, they may sell you one of their tire mounts, or supply you with the vendor name, where they get the mount.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Leisure Travel looks like they are still in business: http://www.leisurevans.com/freeflight/index.html

The spare tire mount on the current Chevy van, seems to attach to the rear door. Very convenient for enter the rear of the van, but it puts a heavy load on the door hinges. There is a view of the spare tire mount, in one of the videos for this van.

If you contact Leisure Travel directly, they may sell you one of their tire mounts, or supply you with the vendor name, where they get the mount.
When I checked some time ago, before building the air assisted lift, Pleasure-Way will also sell you the parts to put the tire on the door.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #45
Platinum Member

I thought I would bring this one back up, as it currently an active discussion (again) on the Yahoo board. I know that some here are there also, so you probably have seen the discussion. The discussion has boiled down to convenience vs safety of the the spring loaded tire lifters, particularly Ezee-lift and Springy Thingy as aftermarket, and Roadtrek as OEM.

The discussion started with complaints of how hard the RT system was to use because of the automatic safety latch and gravitated to the Ezee-lift manaul lock bar to Springy Thingy and homemades with bar or no bar, to things with the springs going overcenter to hold the carrier down even without a wheel on.

I will certainly admit I am HIGHLY biased to the safe side on anything product liability related. In my past work life I was involved in helping defend against several product liability suits, as the representative from the Engineer department. Luckily never had to testify in court, but it was a real eye opener.

IMO, even a manually inserted safety bar is close to being a bad idea. If there is a good sticker with a warning, it would probably be safe enough, and defendable. The ones that use the extension springs like a Springy Thingy, and go over center, severely worry me, both from liability issue, but also due to the severe injuries that could occur. The overcenter force has to be small, as it adds to the initial lift weight, so you actually have more weight than without the springs. All it would take would be someone bumping the carrier as they set down the tire, or with good intentions trying to put it back up and out of the way. Anybody with Roadside assistance could be at risk.

As I said, I am very biased in this stuff, but I also have seen folks collect on things that were caused by their own stupidity, especially if they were badly hurt.

So what do the others here think? Would you have a spring loaded lifter that didn't have a locking mechanism? Would it have to be automatically applied?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #46
Platinum Member

When the spring set-up was first covered, I decided I would try that out. I got all the materials and made the set-up - but the voice kept going off about safety, and then its looks. I tried it a couple of times; once it was down - I held it and the wife got out what we needed, etc. When the Ez-Lift came out, I watched the info about it and decided that was the way to go, both from a safety viewpoint and appearance on the RT. My rationale about appearance was if I spent the money we spent buying a new RT, then why not make the investment into something that blended in, but was very useful, and safe. Just my two-cents on it. Safe travels, Ron.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #47
Platinum Member

You could use leverage instead of springs. I'm thinking of a slide out / up extension bar inside the vertical 2x2 steel tube. (maybe a 2' extension)

It could help with raising or lowering as it would give you something easier to grip. The weight of the wheel is a problem but that was compounded by the lack of handles or anything to grip. You be able to "walk" the carrier to the upright position with a leverage bar.

When the tire carrier was full of road grime and wet it was hard to handle.

Re: springs
Yes, an automatic lock is best if using springs.
re: over-center force - I'm not sure I like that now. It might give you a false sense of security.
With positive pull (under-center) the carrier arm would stay with the spare wheel as you tried to lift the tire. You might not even be able to get the spare wheel off the carrier. It would be like they were "glued" together.

For safety (with springs) slip the springs off when the carrier is in the upright position in the rare event you needed the spare tire because of a flat. The spare wheel probably has never been off the carrier on many Roadtreks.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
You could use leverage instead of springs. I'm thinking of a slide out / up extension bar inside the vertical 2x2 steel tube. (maybe a 2' extension)

It could help with raising or lowering as it would give you something easier to grip. The weight of the wheel is a problem but that was compounded by the lack of handles or anything to grip. You be able to "walk" the carrier to the upright position with a leverage bar.

When the tire carrier was full of road grime and wet it was hard to handle.

Re: springs
Yes, an automatic lock is best if using springs.
re: over-center force - I'm not sure I like that now. It might give you a false sense of security.
With positive pull (under-center) the carrier arm would stay with the spare wheel as you tried to lift the tire. You might not even be able to get the spare wheel off the carrier. It would be like they were "glued" together.

For safety (with springs) slip the springs off when the carrier is in the upright position in the rare event you needed the spare tire because of a flat. The spare wheel probably has never been off the carrier on many Roadtreks.
Interesting that you mention the long bar to help with the lift, as I actually mocked one of them up before I did the airlifter. It got the wheel moving up well, but was really hard to get all the way, as DW was way to short, and me marginally to short to use it. We also did some tests with us, and other folks who didn't know a tire carrier from fried rice, to get opinions as to why the tire was hard to lift, especially for short folks. The results were interesting. Of course, the weight was always mentioned. The surprising part was that a lot of people said that getting the wheel moving up was not a big deal, as the grip isn't too bad, you are in good position, etc. Where the problem came was when you were part way up and couldn't go any further with your hands in the starting position (this point comes earlier and at heavier weight when you are shorter), so you had to get you hands turned from "curl" position to "press" position. This explains why a "Springy Thingy" works at all, because it does not change the amount of weight you lift initially, and even adds to it is you go over center like some have. The Ezee-lift does assist right from the beginning, so it helps over all the lift distance.

You mention getting the wheel off might be enough to start the overcenter types up. I have to totally agree with that, as even with a stock one you often lift the holder trying to get the wheel off.

I particularly like the idea of releasing the spring pressure, as it is the most foolproof way to be safe. No way to get bonked if you don't have the springs on. Perhaps, they could have a toggle type lever on them to release the pressure.

The mention of the rarity of needing to take the wheel of the carrier is probably why we haven't heard of anyone getting hurt to this point. Our wheel has been off a few times, but has always been because I was messing with something. We have never needed it as a spare, and most others are probably the same.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
......................... good sticker with a warning..................
That's a good idea. I try to think of modifications in view of selling the RV (either me or my estate )
It is very easy to attach some indication that spring loading is involved right on the spare. Your RV might change hands 4 or 5 times and your instructions to a purchaser might get lost along the way.

Booster - do you still use your air assist spare wheel lift? link: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/24307003.cfm
Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Quote:
......................... good sticker with a warning..................
That's a good idea. I try to think of modifications in view of selling the RV (either me or my estate )
It is very easy to attach some indication that spring loading is involved right on the spare. Your RV might change hands 4 or 5 times and your instructions to a purchaser might get lost along the way.

Booster - do you still use your air assist spare wheel lift? link: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/24307003.cfm
We think like you, and try to make stuff safe and easy to use. We also go for reversible, if at all possible.

We still have the wheel air powered lifter on, and would have it no other way. DW is 4' 11" tall and can put the tire up and down with no effort. She could not do it at all without an assist. There are a couple of little changes since that was written up. I had a toggle on/exhaust air switch on it to put it up (goes down by gravity and flow control on the exhaust air from the cylinder), but when we were chasing compressor and plumbing air leaks, I quickly decided there was no good reason to have the up air power on it all the time, as it is still held with the pin, too. I switched the toggle to a spring return on/exhaust, so you have to hold it while it goes up (safer) and then when you release it the pressure goes off of everything. The wheel goes over center,so it stays up with air off. I also added an extra flow control valve so I could regulate the air in and the air out of the cylinder as it was going up. The varying load as it went up would make it accelerate in the middle of the lift because the air in the cylinder exhaust side was getting compressed. By limiting the air going in as well as out, I could keep them balanced. It also does a much better job of keeping it at reasonable speed with the wheel off (like everybody else's concern).

The only things I may have to look at is that the cylinder shaft is showing a tendency to turn over time and twist the cable. It will be easy to put a guide block up against the cable clevis to keep it straight, if needed. Sometime, I also want to replace the plastic pulleys with aluminum, bushed ones, as they do take a lot more beating than the Ezee-lift puts on them. Oh-and maybe a hazard label!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Like most folks, we have not had a flat tire, and therefore have not been in a position to swap the spare onto an axle. And yet, I am always lifting and lowering this pig, just to open the rear door. PITA.

I am surprised there has not been a swing-out mount, designed to mount in the same receptical, to allow the tire to swing out of the way, so we can open the door. The existing flip-down mount could still be attached to the swing out.

Because we have never had a flat, I would never have needed to lower/lift the pig.

I have sketched out a couple designs for this type of swing-out, but have not had it built, because we are planning to get a Aluminess bumper, that will have a swing out tire and storage box.
http://www.aluminess.com/chevrolet/chev ... ar-bumper/
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Old 11-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Like most folks, we have not had a flat tire, and therefore have not been in a position to swap the spare onto an axle. And yet, I am always lifting and lowering this pig, just to open the rear door. PITA.

I am surprised there has not been a swing-out mount, designed to mount in the same receptical, to allow the tire to swing out of the way, so we can open the door. The existing flip-down mount could still be attached to the swing out.

Because we have never had a flat, I would never have needed to lower/lift the pig.

I have sketched out a couple designs for this type of swing-out, but have not had it built, because we are planning to get a Aluminess bumper, that will have a swing out tire and storage box.
http://www.aluminess.com/chevrolet/chev ... ar-bumper/
Interesting piece. How much does it weigh? With all the stuff you have added you must be getting close to being maxed out.

It looks like they support the vertical support off of the door hinge. It also looks like it is mounted to the part of the hinge that is on the door, so the support pole is going to move as you open the door. At least the top of it is. It also is going to put weight on the hinge while driving and especially with it pivoted out. It would be interesting to see one in person.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have sketched out a couple designs for this type of swing-out, but have not had it built, because we are planning to get a Aluminess bumper, that will have a swing out tire and storage box. http://www.aluminess.com/chevrolet/chev ... ar-bumper/
I too have thought that a swing out tire carrier would be the way to go. I got as far as looking at several models of swingouts for mobility scooter platforms. They are way cheaper than that Aluminess bumper (although that is certainly "a nice piece of kit"). The one I was thinking of starting with was: http://www.discountramps.com/docking_device.htm I would then use parts of this plus most of the original Roadtrek arm, and fabricate something new. But that's as far as I got ...

(There are other models out there such as http://www.stowaway2.com/class-2-hitch-carrier.aspx and http://www.easymobilityco.com/harmar_al ... option.htm)

Regards, Dick RT09/10C190P Allegany NY "no more deadlines"
dicktill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #54
Platinum Member

The Leisure Travel Vans Free Spirit Sprinter has had a drop down spare tire mount on the back of the van that acts as a table for a decade. I haven't read this whole thread. has that been mentioned?

I don't carry a spare on my Great West Van Legend. I even drove to Alaska and took the On Top of the World highway in the Yukon for over 90 miles of pothole gravel and survived. I did chicken out driving the 400 mile one way gravel road to Prudhoe Bay that I desired to do mainly because I wasn't carrying a spare.

At my age, if I have a flat I am going to call a service. Doing it myself is beyond my capabilities now.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting piece. How much does it weigh? With all the stuff you have added you must be getting close to being maxed out.

It looks like they support the vertical support off of the door hinge. It also looks like it is mounted to the part of the hinge that is on the door, so the support pole is going to move as you open the door. At least the top of it is. It also is going to put weight on the hinge while driving and especially with it pivoted out. It would be interesting to see one in person.
Nothing attaches to the door, and only a stabilizer bar attaches to the hinge fitting, under the tail lights.
When the gates are closed, all their weight is supported by the center locking point on the bumper, and the two towers at the ends of the bumper.

I'm not sure what the weight is. I sent an e-mail to find out the weight and to see if the center of the bumper can be modified to allow access to the propane tank.

The Ford bumper is designed a little different, since the door hinges have a different layout. THe Ford bumper has support bars that come around from the end of the bumper.
http://www.aluminess.com/ford/ford-vans ... ar-bumper/
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Old 11-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
The Leisure Travel Vans Free Spirit Sprinter has had a drop down spare tire mount on the back of the van that acts as a table for a decade. I haven't read this whole thread. has that been mentioned?................
Yes, mention of their spare wheel carrier is how this topic got started in 2006. I had heard about it and wanted something to help lift my spare wheel carrier. I never found a photo of the LT van carrier though.

I'd like to see a photo of Roadtrek's spring assisted lift that comes on new Roadtreks too.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #57
Platinum Member

I'll have to check through my 24,000 plus photos to see if I have a photo. There have been several LTV owners at our rallies and socials. You would think I might have taken a picture or two.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting piece. How much does it weigh? With all the stuff you have added you must be getting close to being maxed out. ...........
Here is the info I got back from Aluminess:

We can certainly make an accommodation in our rear bumper for your propane attachment. I'll first need to see some pictures of it and then I'll need to get some measurements from various points on the van.

The weight of the front bumper is about 90 pounds with the mounting brackets, and the rear with the swing arms and a large box is about 140 pounds. Remember that you will be taking off factory bumpers so the net additional weight is not as much as our bumpers weigh.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please let me know.

Thank you,

Kenny Gorham
http://www.Aluminess.com
Aluminess Products Inc.
619-449-9930
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #59

I purchased the ltv hitch tire carrier without continental kit, unfortunately, they sent the model for domestic vans not the MB. I modified same to fit different bolt configuration but tow a kayak trailer and the hitch mount doesn't work . However,the built in spring works really well. LTVs mount that attaches to their in house bumper and is not compatible with the Pleasureway van. I installed the pleasureway tire carrier with continental kit and very well made, but heavy. The ltv spring is ingenous and does not contribute bulk. However,love this van and layout and using dumbells to increase strength.
Ok pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #60
Silver Member

The new 2014 RT's has new cable assist spare tire lift maybe similar to the EZlift, it is hard to see the cable and the lift mechanism by just watching the low res youtube video. It also has an interesting latching mechanism which I have no idea how it works. Here is the youtube video (skip to 11:16):

[youtube:38b7lt87]21EddNySvCI[/youtube:38b7lt87]