Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Stacker storage ideas

I don't find any reference to stackers on this forum... hopefully I haven't overlooked any threads.

There are differing opinions on whether stackers are necessary equipment, but my husband and I mostly boondock and the real world is not conveniently graded level like a paid campground space. I find that we do need to use stackers on a regular basis.

But storing them in a Class B is a bear. They take up a lot of valuable space. I came up with an under-chassis storage idea for the bulk of our stacker kit, including 8 Valterra stackers and 2 matching wheel chocks. I designed a shallow tray that sits on top of two of the outriggers that support our Class B's running boards and ground effects. There's a blog post with fabrication instructions here, and here's a photo of the finished project. The stacker bundles are wrapped in pieces of silver tarp and are those bungee-corded things in the middle between the two red chocks at either end of the tray:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I don't find any reference to stackers on this forum... hopefully I haven't overlooked any threads.

There are differing opinions on whether stackers are necessary equipment, but my husband and I mostly boondock and the real world is not conveniently graded level like a paid campground space. I find that we do need to use stackers on a regular basis.

But storing them in a Class B is a bear. They take up a lot of valuable space. I came up with an under-chassis storage idea for the bulk of our stacker kit, including 8 Valterra stackers and 2 matching wheel chocks. I designed a shallow tray that sits on top of two of the outriggers that support our Class B's running boards and ground effects. There's a blog post with fabrication instructions here, and here's a photo of the finished project. The stacker bundles are wrapped in pieces of silver tarp and are those bungee-corded things in the middle between the two red chocks at either end of the tray:
We carry two set (20 pieces) of the orange lego style leveling blocks in our 07 C190P Roadtrek. They don't take up all that much space and ride in the driver side outside storage bin. One row wide the depth of the bin and a few more right behind our small gas grill.

We use the blocks pretty often, and sometimes nearly all 20 of them, as we prefer being pretty level.

There has never been a time that we would have needed wheel chocks that I can remember over the last 8 years. They are a pain to haul around, I would think, as they are pretty big. If it is so unlevel that chocks would be needed, even 20 blocks wouldn't get us level.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The magic words there are "outside storage bin". Our Class B has zero outside storage of any kind. Just wasn't built that way. If we did have outside storage, that would be a no-brainer for stacker storage.

I like to carry the matching Valterra chocks / stoppers because they prevent me from accidentally driving off the edge of a higher stack. If the stack is only 2 high, there's no need for them of course. But I like the fail safe of having them lego'd into the more elaborate stack configurations.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Well conceived and built solution.
The only problem I would have is that it seems when I really need the stackers it is always raining or the ground is soft as a bunny's butt. Reaching under there to undo the velcro and bungies will require contortions I'm no longer able to accomplish, and I'd need a shower afterwards!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have the orange legos- I keep them inside the back door- they are the first thing we use and the last item on leaving.

PW on a chev so we have the bin side bin, but it is full.

My neighbor with a 2016 PW on MB has much much less storage ( in and out) compared to us.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

"Well conceived and built solution"

I agree obgraham, and it not just this work with Mr. InterBlog. I also feel fortunate to not have to go get those stackers.

But what is probably worth more than the stackers or the entire Airstream? That Smiling Dog sitting on the cargo carrier.

Oh, forgot to mention what some may not know that would like more stealth, dark colored stackers:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Mrs. Interblog is a mid-50's gray-haired lady who does yoga. Contorting and reaching under for the stackers is not an issue. I thought about the potential hassle of it, but I concluded that it's actually less of a hassle than having to get down and deal with the Valterra valves and slinky hook-up at dump stations. Plus I have to get down anyway to actually put the stackers under the wheels, so it becomes six of one and half a dozen of the other to me.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I agree about the newer units without outside storage. I don't know what we we would do without it. Our driver side pod has the the 20 blocks, our Magma gas grill, Coleman Fold-N-Go stove, two collapsible buckets, a collapsible traffic cone, our power cord, all the cord adapters, 15' propane hose, wye propane hose for stove and grill us, water hose and filter, cable tv wire, and also contains the air bag valves and controls, water hookup, and electrical hookup. The macerator hose and valves are in a separate compartment on that side. On the passenger side the forward of the rear wheel storage holds a full tool kit, tire kit, air hose for filling tires off the compressor, camp saw, fuses, meters, etc. The storage behind the wheel has spare parts like belts, an oil filter, oil additive, spare voltage regulator, etc.

I can't imagine trying to stuff all those things inside, especially since some of them get pretty dirty, and/or smelly.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I agree about the newer units without outside storage. I don't know what we we would do without it. ...
What you would do is that you would have a great gnashing of teeth, as is readily apparent on Air Forums, where nobody in the B Van sub-forum has it, and where people are frequently trying to re-jigger one thing or another to compensate for it. And you'd find yourself scooting around on your back under your rig looking for any available nook or cranny to develop into usable space, and you might just throw a party if you happen to discover a chassis bracket that is sitting there unused, waiting for something useful to be attached to it.

The easiest workaround, of course, is that people simply buy Sprinter EXT-based rigs and use that interior rear storage for most of the items that you list.

But ours is not an EXT, and yes, things like a BBQ grill are more difficult to accommodate. They just don't store well on the inside. To date, we've limited our cooking to in-camground BBQs (hit or miss on serviceability of the grills) or disposable BBQs, those glorified aluminum foil baking pans in which you can light a fire.