Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
db1

Default SUGGESTED CHEVY CLASS B & C MODIFICATIONS

After purchasing a 21' 2007 Holiday Rambler Augusta Class B RV, I spent the next 1 1/2 years getting it to handle to my liking. Here is what I found needing attention:
1. The rear leaf spring bushing are shot by 30K miles... CHECK & REPLACE as it handles like a hook & ladder fire truck without a rear driver with bad bushings.
2. Install the biggest Roadmaster rear swaybar you can find... NOTE: HELWIG SWAYBARS DO NOT FIT THE CHEVY CUTAWAYS!
3. Install new poly bushings on the front swaybar along with MOOG poly end links. A BIGGER FRONT BAR IS NOT NEEDED.
4. Install Bilstein or other good shocks as the GM shocks are shot at 30K.
5. Install new MOOG idler arms and pitman arms as the GM ones are shot at 30K. THIS REALLY HELPS WITH STEERING PLAY.
6. Now it is time for a good alignment... It is best to have it loaded for a trip, but AT LEAST FILL THE WATER TANK BEFORE ALIGNING.
7. A Roadmaster Rear Track Bar is optional after the above items have been completed. I installed this first and do not know if it is really needed as I found all of the other issues after installing it. NOTE: THE LOWER TRACK BAR BOLT WILL NEED TO BE GROUND DOWN FOR THE SWAYBAR TO FIT WITHOUT RUBBING THE BAR.

NOW YOU CAN SAFELY HIT THE ROAD AND NOT SCARE THE HELL OUT OF EVERYONE AROUND YOU WHEN IT GETS WINDY as your Chevy will now handle everything Mother Nature throws at it without a problem.

Other Chevy issues to look at:
Exhaust manifold bolts are known to break. After over 10 years of issues GM re-engineered new ones 2 years ago.
Engine rear main seal and front transmission seals are known to leak by 30K. Watch for leaks on your driveway.
Front brake rotors are warped by 30K miles. Do not let them turn them down, replace with a life time guaranteed pair.
db1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: SUGGESTED CHEVY CLASS B & C MODIFICATIONS

Might I suggest ARP studs/bolts for the heads instead? They are superior quality to anything a manufacturer puts out and you should never be disappointed with them.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Great idea to use parts better than the "just good enough to get by" parts the makers use. Their priorities are just good enough to sell and drive off the lot!

BC
Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

For the broken exhaust manifold bolts, I have heard from the pickup, towing, guys that the extra heat of towing or a heavy van will make it worse, so no surprise there. The solution that I have heard the most often is to open up the manifold mounting holes by 1/16" in diameter so there is room for it to move enough when it gets hot, especially the rear bolt holes. The ARP bolts for the manifolds were also mentioned as good insurance.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote