Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Transmission Temperature Gauage

Has anyone put a Transmission Temperature Gauage in thier Dodge Sprinter 2500? I am getting ready to tow and would like to monitor trans temp.
jerrygaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Transmission Temperature Gauage

Just out of curiosity, have you installed a towing package, and would you tow over the recommended maximums?
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #3

Default Re: Transmission Temperature Gauage

I don't own a Sprinter, but I do own a PW Lexor which is built on the Chevy Express chassis. I tow regularly, usually a 6X12 V nose with a motorcycle (and what won't "fit" in the "B") and made some mods before towing.

I've done three things.

1. I added an ATF guage to the "A" pillar. The "sender" is mounted at the exit line from the tranny to the ATF cooler in front of the radiator. I also added - to the same pillar - an oil temperature gauge, since neither Chevy, nor my ScanGauge II, report that info. With the installation on the "A" pillar, it is real easy to keep an eye on the temps.

2. I replaced the "factory" tranny pan with a "finned" larger aluminum pan. It allows me to increase the ATF capacity by three quarts.

3. I added an aux ATF cooler, with thermostatically controlled aux electric fan, in front of the conventional ATF cooler.

On flat ground, with outside temps around 90 degrees, my ATF fluid is about 165 to 170 degrees. When I've been climbing, while towing, the ATF temp will occasionally approach 200 degrees.

As I understand it, as long as I stay below about 210 degrees, I'm not hurting my tranny - and that's my objective.

I do realize that others may well think a somewhat higher ATF temp is "OK", but, at several thousand bucks a pop to replace a tranny, I'd much rather be safe than sorry.

Cheers.
retraite is offline   Reply With Quote