Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Use in-dash radio when plugged into power

I'm thinking of making a short 6" jumper cable to connect the two outer posts on the isolator for when I am in an RV park with shore power connected.

I saw an FM transmitter that I could plug into my TV and play the TV sound through the 4 van speakers.............

I'd like to use my Chevy in dash radio / cd player more. Right now I only use it when driving because I don't want to run the chassis battery down by using it when the motor is not running.

I'd have to remember to take it off when I unplug from shore power.

Would this work?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I made my short jumper cable using 2 pieces of 10 gauge wire. I probably didn't need two pieces.

10 gauge is actually rated for 55 amp in open air. My charger is set to 11 amps.

For safety, I should put a fuse.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I found this FM transmitter that is powered by an internal battery or the van's 12v accessory outlet.

It works ok in my house with an mp3 player. I haven't tried it in the van. The 'stereo' indicator lights up on my tuner.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We normally use our TV sound system and DVD player to play music in the RV. We can play CD's, MP3 CD's or the Ipod. Those speaker have much better sound that the cab radio.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Default Jumper on isolator

I can't think of any reason that wouldn't work for the battery part. You could also use it for an emergency chassis battery charger.
How far will the FM transmit? Is your tv in the back and the radio in the front?
Old 02-04-2007, 03:23 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Re: Jumper on isolator

I tried this out today using a Pocket PC as an MP3 player.

The battery part works as hoped. I used the jumper cable to connect the two outer posts on the isolator and then measured 13.4 volts at the chassis battery which is my chargers float voltage. (my chassis battery was already fully charged)

The stereo in the Chevy sounds much better than my TV. Roadtrek added two rear speakers on the conversion.

I found that I had to keep the volume low on the Pocket PC for the best quality sound otherwise there was distortion. After a bit of adjusting I had good quality sound.

rv-n-agin - my TV wasn't in the van so I'll try it soon and post the results. I don't think the FM transmitter is very powerful. (I bought a very inexpensive unit). However, I happen to already have an audio extension cable so I'll be able to have the transmitter near the front of the van if necessary.

I could add amplified speakers or get a radio for the 'house' part of the van but I want to use what is there already. Less 'big' stuff, less weight etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-n-agin
............. You could also use it for an emergency chassis battery charger.....................
That's the bonus! I'll keep a look out for a simple relay to accomplish the same thing without having to pop the hood

Ken-o has a switch on the dash of his Coach House B Van which will temporarily engage house batteries and automotive battery for jump starts.

The jumper cable is an easy way to keep your chassis battery charged if your van is not used often (as long as your van is plugged in).
Old 02-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Default Jumper on isolator

Quote:
Ken-o has a switch on the dash of his Coach House B Van which will temporarily engage house batteries and automotive battery for jump starts.
I realize that the size of the jumper wire limits the jump current but if you had to jump the chassis battery, wouldn't it be better to let the house and chassis battery sort of equalize and then disconnect the jumper before starting the engine? I thought I read once that a deep cycle battery could be permanently damaged if subjected to the kind of heavy draw that the engine starter uses. - something about the difference in the plate thickness between deep cycle and CCA batteries.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I like the idea of "charging" or "equalizing" the chassis battery using the house battery(s) for emergency starting.

Maybe Ken-o's is set up to be used like that.

The CCA on my dual purpose house batteries is actually greater than the CCA on the factory Chevy battery
Old 02-05-2007, 02:09 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I tested the FM transmitter with my TV and DVD player today.

Again, the device volume had to be really low to avoid distortion. (I used a portable DVD player for the test) Moving the transmitter toward the front of the van using an audio cable extension helped.

It worked best using the headphone output rather than the audio out jack.

I'll give it a 6 out 10 so far.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Instead of the small jumper cable I think I might use this:

Inserting or removing the fuse would be my 'switch'.

Of course, popping the hood with jumper cables in hand would no doubt invite conversation as neighbors offer assistance