Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Talking UV Sterilizer for water system

Has anyone installed an UV Sterilizer for water purification? I just finished installing a Viqua S2Q-P/12VDC in my RoadTrek for an upcoming trip to Baja. I have not been able to find any posts of anyone doing this and wonder why, as it is highly effective.

The model I bought has a capacity of 3 gallons per minute and is in the line from the pump outlet. It about matches the stated pump capacity. It covers all flow: sink, shower even the toilet.

I didn't want to worry about pathogens in the water. As long as the water is clear you can hook up to the outflow of the local sewage plant and not get sick (I am not going to try that, however).

As near as I can tell the only downside is cost. The equipment, which runs on 12 volts, cost about $385.

I will report back on the success of the installation when we get back late in the spring.

John
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

"I will report back on the success of the installation when we get back late in the spring.

John"

Hope you make it back John, wishing you well.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default UV sterilizer report

We have been touring Baja in our Roadtrek for 3 weeks now and the UV unit is working great. While others in our group have been using bottled water or fiddling with Clorox, we have been using plain campground waterfor both washing and drinking. Some of the water supplies looked pretty sketchy, but no intestinal upsets or other problems. I had some worries when we encountered monster potholes and heavily rutted back roads as the unit is not shock mounted, but that concern turned out to be baseless. I am sold and plan to continue using the unit 100% of the time.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Glad to read your report. To improve quality and reduce turbidity you could add a filtration system as well.

Could you provide a link to the unit you purchased?
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:07 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default UV Sterilizer

This link is the same model I have at a better price:
https://www.amazon.com/Viqua-Sterili...243842&sr=8-54

John
Old 02-28-2017, 04:54 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
This link is the same model I have at a better price:
https://www.amazon.com/Viqua-Sterili...243842&sr=8-54

John
Is the light on all of the time or does it just come on with the pump?
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

In the same vein, does anyone have a passive / portable unit that they can also recommend?

I generally don't drink from our fresh water tank but instead carry a 10 liter military can that I love. I have a slot right beside the fresh water tank where it fits. So from time to time, I need to process another 10 liters as I fill that can back up, partly remotely (i.e., by fetching water from a lake or river).

When I was a backcountry camper, we kept it simple by running all drinking water through our Jetboils, so I never had to look into possible UV or other purification systems. I am a huge tea drinker so about 50% of my off-grid drinking water is still treated by boiling, but I could use something for the other 50%.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We have used a Steri-pen while backpacking for several years. Only one liter at a time, though.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default UV switching

I have it connected to come on when I turn the pump switch on. I wait for 10 seconds or so before drawing water to insure that the light is up to full intensity. The device is made for continuous duty for 9,000 hours but it draws about 1.5 amps so I don't leave it on, especially when boondocking.

John