Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Installed new 275-70R-17 tires onto the 17 X 7.5 28mm offset Chevrolet alloy wheels today. Before I did I reinstalled the 2 inch steel wheel spacers on the rear axle, so the rear track is just barely wider than the front now.
I guess I haven't been paying attention, but is the standard Express rear track width about 4 inches less than front? Why would the vehicle be designed that way? I am trying to understand why you needed the 2" spacer.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Hondo's drop knuckles move the fronts out a long ways. Stock there is very little track difference front to rear.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Hondo's drop knuckles move the fronts out a long ways. Stock there is very little track difference front to rear.
That explains why the front tires look like they are sticking way out in his pictures. I had been puzzled by that especially since he had gotten rid of the AR23 wheels and their more outward offset.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
That explains why the front tires look like they are sticking way out in his pictures. I had been puzzled by that especially since he had gotten rid of the AR23 wheels and their more outward offset.
The latest set of wheels have the stock 28mm of offset vs 0mm with the AT Ledge wheels..this is abut 1 inch less track per side.

If you look at my thread you'll see that now the front tires are just about flush with the fender lips. Adding the rear spacers moves the rear track outward and now is wider than the front.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:18 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wanted to with the 265-75-16 in the rear, and 245-75-16 in the front, but when I started looking into it, I found that the ABS wouldn't like that much diameter difference and would probably disable itself, so we went with the 265's on both ends.
I was under the impression that the ABS system addresses each wheel discretely rather than addressing all wheels collectively. If that is true, why would the ABS system care if different wheels have different diameters?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I was under the impression that the ABS system addresses each wheel discretely rather than addressing all wheels collectively. If that is true, why would the ABS system care if different wheels have different diameters?

The rear drive vans look at it as a 3 zone system with independent front sensors and one for the rear unless it has stability control, AFAIK. The system compares wheel speeds to determine in any are slipping.

The sensors read rpm, so a different diameter at the same speed rotates at a different speed and different speed on different wheels indicates loss of traction, as it would with a wheel skidding. This will trigger the ABS to pulse the brakes, and eventually disconnect itself and go to standard brakes.

The consensus that I got from the good mechanics that I talked to was that they thought the 1" diameter bigger, 3-4% wheel speed difference would be an issue. There doesn't appear to be a method available to program it out of the ABS computer.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #47

Hi Hondo, I made some research but I wasn't able to find the wheel weight for the factory 17'' alloy wheel that you chose. Do you have this info?
Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:27 AM   #48
Gold Member

Quote:
The rear drive vans look at it as a 3 zone system with independent front sensors and one for the rear unless it has stability control, AFAIK. The system compares wheel speeds to determine in any are slipping.

The sensors read rpm, so a different diameter at the same speed rotates at a different speed and different speed on different wheels indicates loss of traction, as it would with a wheel skidding. This will trigger the ABS to pulse the brakes, and eventually disconnect itself and go to standard brakes.

The consensus that I got from the good mechanics that I talked to was that they thought the 1" diameter bigger, 3-4% wheel speed difference would be an issue. There doesn't appear to be a method available to program it out of the ABS computer.
Correct. I've experienced it in other GM vehicles, and have seen it on the Tech2 scanner. the ABS and traction control will see the 3-4% difference as wheel slip. negatively affecting braking and reducing power because the controller sees the difference as a biiig fat burnout! eventually faulting the ABS/TCS , which disables the system. The newer vehicles have electronically controlled brake bias and will set ~all front brake, minimal rear - cuz its "safe". Try slowing down an overweight pig with just front brakes, lots of weight shift causing all sorts of nasty.

this goes for 3 or 4 channel/zone brakes. Need to keep factory tire RATIO to keep the systems happy.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:34 PM   #49

Great info everyone! I need to read it all again after watching the video with a better understanding of offset and backspacing. I wonder if the same rims Booster used will work on my 00D190V? It sounds like the handling improvement may be well worth it.
Steve & Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:52 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Berta View Post
Great info everyone! I need to read it all again after watching the video with a better understanding of offset and backspacing. I wonder if the same rims Booster used will work on my 00D190V? It sounds like the handling improvement may be well worth it.

You Dodge would use different wheels as the offset is likely at zero instead of the +28 that the Chevies are starting in 2003. The previous generation Chevies were at zero like most rear drive vehicles back then.

You probably also have a different bolt pattern and maybe stud size and thread.

It is best to get the specs for offset, width, diameter, load capacity, bolt pattern, lug size and thread for the OEM wheels for your year Dodge so you know what to look for. Unless you are looking to go with bigger tires, you are probably fine with stock wheels. The Dodge handling issues are related to a multitude of other problems.