Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2022, 03:03 PM   #801
Platinum Member

On my current trip from Minneapolis to Pittsburgh to South Padre Island, I first didn’t see many RVs of any kind in a week of below freezing temps and much snow on the roads. We were kind of an outlier sleeping and off grid camping on the road. In South Padre Island the diesel pusher Class A’s dominate for winter Texans towing jeeps. However, this is our fourth trip over the years and noticed more Class B’s and interestingly fewer Class C’s.

We have seen a few short Sprinters 4x4s on the beach. My wife won’t let me venture out on the beach with our 2WD. The short 144 WB Sprinters are very nimble. I can make a U turn just about anywhere and can park just about anywhere. There is an excellent free bus service in SPI which we made frequent use of in the past but now I just tend to drive our van everywhere. We had the extended 170 Sprinter in our past trips to SPI.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:28 PM   #802
Platinum Member

...Given the large number of van upfitters not represented in these RVIA figures it's likely that new Class B vans already outnumber the larger Class A units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Van upfitters are probably listed in the figures...
There are a few more upfitters now joining RVIA, presumably to distinguish themselves as 'durable' players in the second or third tier of Class B builders.

VanDoIt, Modvans, and Storyteller Overland are now RVIA members and seem well positioned to become long term players in the second tier market (below the big publicly traded Thor, Winnebago, Forest River and REV Group conglomerates).

Among smaller third tier companies VanWorks in Ft Collins, CO has joined RVIA, and Panoramic RV of Quebec has opened a US sales office and obtained RVIA membership.

But most small upfitters still seem to operate outside the standard RV industry and certification sphere. Comparing publicly advertised van upfitters in some western hotspot van states yields the following numbers:
Colorado: 37 upfitters listed, 2 RVIA members (Antero; Vanworks)

Utah: 13 upfitters, none are listed as RVIA members

California: 59 upfitters, 2 current RVIA members (El Kapitan; Modvans).
Although not currently listed I wouldn't be surprised if Recon RV and Field Vans (previously SMB West) eventually become RVIA members in California also.

PS. If anyone knows of other small upfitters that are now becoming RVIA members please feel free to update the list.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:22 PM   #803
Platinum Member

Advanced RV has been an RVIA member since their beginning 10 years ago. They had a goal of 100 vans per year but I kind of doubt they’ve made that goal. They are now building almost as many Class C “B-Boxes” as they call them. They’ve also outfitted some commercial stuff like food trucks, passenger vans, etc. There was a period when they were installing air conditioners, levelers, and VB Air Suspensions on other van makes. I didn’t see that activity the last time I visited and they’ve de-emphasized it on their website.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:23 PM   #804
Site Team

Quote:
Advanced RV has been an RVIA member
Do they actually plaster those beautiful vans with all the ridiculous safety stickers that RVIA requires?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:29 PM   #805
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Do they actually plaster those beautiful vans with all the ridiculous safety stickers that RVIA requires?
Requires or upfitters just want to brag and impress? Just one on the sliding door post hidden just below the latch. You can only see it when the door is open.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:05 PM   #806
Site Team

Quote:
Requires or upfitters just want to brag and impress? Just one on the sliding door post hidden just below the latch. You can only see it when the door is open.
Definitey "requires", or at least it was last time I checked. I talked Great West into leaving most of ours off, but it was like I was asking them to rob a bank. With our old Aistream, I spent days peeling them all off.

I always chuckle at the "Exit" signs.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:15 PM   #807
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Definitey "requires", or at least it was last time I checked. I talked Great West into leaving most of ours off, but it was like I was asking them to rob a bank. With our old Aistream, I spent days peeling them all off.

I always chuckle at the "Exit" signs.
Maybe it is like 'do not remove, under penalty of law'............... I have one on mine, scared to take it off.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:35 PM   #808
Platinum Member

I don't particularly see membership in RVIA as a badge of honor for any van upfitter. In my view, that organization advocates antagonistically vs. customer needs (lemon laws, and on, and on). It serves its members / manufacturers, but not the people who buy RV's.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #809
Platinum Member

The upfitter we're using recently went for RVIA certification to make it easier for their customers to get loans. I feel like they've made some quality trade-offs in the process. For example, RVIA requires them to use Romex instead of stranded wire for 120V circuits. I don't think solid wire has any place in a situation where there's movement. Fortunately the compromises he's making aren't deal breakers, but I don't feel like RVIA is adding value.
Punkinhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #810
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
For example, RVIA requires them to use Romex instead of stranded wire for 120V circuits.
Really?!!
That's insane.

I suppose it inherits from the NEC's prohibition of the use of "extension cord" in concealed applications. It has to do with insulation being age-tested for long-term deterioration. But I totally agree with you--solid wire shouldn't be used in mobile applications.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #811
Platinum Member

Quote:
Really?!!
That's insane.
That's what they told me during a tour. I don't know this from first hand reading RVIA documents so it's second hand info.
Punkinhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:29 PM   #812
Platinum Member

One possible RVIA "benefit" to consumers: some upscale "RV Resort" places won't let you bring your rig in there unless it's built by a member of the RVIA. On the other hand, those joints don't usually allow class B RVs anyhow.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:32 PM   #813
Platinum Member

Quote:
One advantage of having worked with the same dealer for many years, those ridiculous stickers were all gone by the time I left to go home. Their detailer - usually with my help - removed all interior and exterior stripes and stickers.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:03 PM   #814
Platinum Member

Quote:
The upfitter we're using recently went for RVIA certification to make it easier for their customers to get loans. I feel like they've made some quality trade-offs in the process. For example, RVIA requires them to use Romex instead of stranded wire for 120V circuits. I don't think solid wire has any place in a situation where there's movement. Fortunately the compromises he's making aren't deal breakers, but I don't feel like RVIA is adding value.
Sounds like you are talking about Embassy RV. They were using stranded SJO extension cord for AC circuits, which is not allowed. Advanced RV uses stranded Triplex Marine Cable that looks like Romex. Much more expensive than Romex and apparently approved by RIVA.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/...or-500ft-spool
Old 02-09-2022, 05:15 PM   #815
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Sounds like you are talking about Embassy RV. They were using stranded SJO extension cord for AC circuits, which is not allowed. Advanced RV uses stranded Triplex Marine Cable that looks like Romex. Much more expensive than Romex and apparently approved by RIVA.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/...or-500ft-spool
Ah. That makes sense.
As for cost, no matter how expensive it is, it is going to be trivial in the grand order of things, and really important. I would really worry about any upfitter insisting on using Romex.

The fact that RVIA even allows Romex is kind of depressing.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:17 PM   #816
Platinum Member

Quote:
Do they use wire nuts?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:32 PM   #817
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Maybe it is like 'do not remove, under penalty of law'............... I have one on mine, scared to take it off.

Bud
Good for you Bud. Now I only have to turn in Avanti.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:11 PM   #818
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

Bud
No such compulsions here. All gone except the RVIA sticker itself, just in case… :loltu
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:33 PM   #819
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
No such compulsions here. All gone except the RVIA sticker itself, just in case… :loltu

Yep, me too, and none of my pillows or mattresses have those tags anymore either.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:12 PM   #820
Platinum Member

Default Class B Market Share 2021

Statistical Surveys Inc (SSI) has provided 2021 annual Class B manufacturer market share data:
40.5% -Winnebago
27.6% -Thor
7.3% - Pleasureway
7.0% - Forest River (Coachmen)
6.5% - REV Group
4.8% - Rapido (Roadtrek)
2.8% - Storyteller Overland
Individual brand shares within manufacturer:
19.4% - Thor Motor Coach (Thor)
6.5% - Airstream (Thor)
1.7% - Entegra (Thor)
4.8% - Midwest Automotive (REV)
1.7% - American Coach (REV)
A big thank you to the folks at Statistical Surveys Inc. for providing this extended market share data representing combined USA and Canadian Class B sales registrations.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote