Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #601
Platinum Member

Default VW California unit sales 2016

Just as an interesting point of comparison, Volkswagen in 2016 produced 12,887 units of their T6 California camper, the modern version of the classic VW campmobile that's ironically not available in California or any other US location.

That's about three times the annual US sales of all Class B's for 2016, but just a drop in the bucket compared to Volkswagen's overall 2016 production of 10,312,400 vehicles!

rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #602
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Just as an interesting point of comparison, Volkswagen in 2016 produced 12,887 units of their T6 California camper, the modern version of the classic VW campmobile that's ironically not available in California or any other US location.

That's about three times the annual US sales of all Class B's for 2016, but just a drop in the bucket compared to Volkswagen's overall 2016 production of 10,312,400 vehicles!
Wow... that's quite some perspective.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:27 AM   #603
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That is a major change with Winnebago topping 40% and ascending to number 1. Since Winnebago and Roadtrek both market Promasters that can't be blamed on the popularity of the platform.
;Maybe a lot of Travatos going out the door?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #604
Platinum Member

Quote:

Looking at how they are equipped it might be better to compare them to US conversion vans with a high roof, as they are closer to them than to a class B motorhome, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:33 AM   #605
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
;Maybe a lot of Travatos going out the door?
6 vans per day out of the plant, 6 days per week. Either 4 or 5 are Travatos. The other 1 or 2 are split between the Paseo & ERA.

Just toured the plant 3 weeks ago....
Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion
29' 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:14 AM   #606
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
6 vans per day out of the plant, 6 days per week. Either 4 or 5 are Travatos. The other 1 or 2 are split between the Paseo & ERA.

Just toured the plant 3 weeks ago....
+1

Old 08-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #607
Platinum Member

Quote:
It would be interesting to see the US market reaction to potential availability of T6 Campers at UK prices. I am sure VW must have done diligent evaluation of bringing T6 to US or not, but my gut feeling tells me VW is missing that market. Talking from experience for young family of 4-5 T6 Camper could be unbeatable, easy to use as a drive around vehicle, easy garage parking, less restriction for parking etc. T6 California is not a full B, but it could easily take away large population from the current B market plus newcomers. While in EU, every time I see T6 I say to myself, hwhy!
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #608
Platinum Member

Hymer put out a lot of product to fill the Camping World supply chain. I think all that inventory building put them ahead for awhile. But I suspect those shoddy units are not selling really well, so no re-orders. Another thing that might be going on is people turning away from Roadtrek/Hymer because of the long wait times on orders during the first quarter while they were building all that inventory.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #609

I took the Hymer/Roadtrek Factory Tour last month. According to the Tour Guide, the Sunlight Van Ones were being built at the rate of ONE PER HOUR (!!!) to fill Camping World's initial Order. Two Shifts, 16 Units per day. Explains the truly awful build quality of those Units. As the previous Poster commented, that Production came at a cost, delaying delivery of the other Models. I believe Winnebago will continue to maintain their Market Share lead 😉
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #610
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
……………………………. But I suspect those shoddy units are not selling really well, so no re-orders. ……………………..
This cheap and shoddy build strategy will hound them for long time, Hymer either misjudge the NA market or execute poorly their entry to NA. Hymer must have known Jim Hamill’s reckless strategy, so no excuse for Hymer such as - we didn’t know.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote