Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2024, 01:54 PM   #881
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Yes then there's the thing about being able to work in your van. Why? The idea of having a van is to get as far away from work as possible! The priorities are completely bizarre.
If you have to work anyway you might as well do it somewhere nice. I meet a surprising number of people in campgrounds that are working from their RVs. I'm retired, but I have inlaws that are still working and take off in their van for weeks (sometimes months) at a time. Last summer they crossed the US and for the past couple weeks they've been in the mountains cross country skiing and snow shoeing when they aren't working. Work from home and Starlink have changed the game.
Punkinhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 04:38 PM   #882
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I could full-time in this, and there are not even upper cabinets. 18 drawers, 10 of them 28” deep, plus more.
Of course. Our van is full of windows and we still have plenty of storage.

The answer is not "more", it's learning to make use of what you have. As the travel experts will tell you about packing.. don't take the maximum that you can, take the minimum that you need.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:13 PM   #883
Platinum Member

Tents, truck campers and tear drop trailers don’t have windows. Some people like to be outside or have privacy and no light pollution inside. Typing this in Pico chair with a beer outside after hiking 6.9 miles today. Yes, I have plenty of windows but the Class B van next to us doesn’t have any windows other than the windshield and cab doors. I haven’t asked them how they like it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:55 PM   #884
Platinum Member

“ Tents, truck campers and tear drop trailers don’t have windows.”

That is simply not true. There are windowed versions of all of those. Some have absolutely huge windows.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:32 PM   #885
Platinum Member

What i take from many posters above is that everyone should want lots of windows all around. I don't think that is necessarily true. Aside from the kitchen and bathroom, the only rooms i use in my house are my bedroom and my office. I want the bedroom to be as cool, dark, and quiet as possible, and my office to be warm, sunny, and windowed. Class Bs are a compromise so i can't get what i have at home, but i can imagine that the best configuration for me would be front lounge layout with a permanent bed in the back. This was why i put a deposit on a Travato GL a couple of years ago (i never bought it because the dealer eventually could not live up to their promises, and i managed to get my deposit back). I like the smaller double pane awning style windows in the travato in that they offer less light and more sound and thermal insulation. If i want to see the outside i can sit in the lounge or sit outside.

I understand the need for full rear windows if you have a rear lounge configuration. After not buying a travato, i became enamored with the Coachman Beyond because they have the AWD ford transit, better tech, and better construction. The Beyond meant compromising the front lounge and having a puzzle bed, but that seemed like a reasonable compromise after reading about the quality problems with winnebago products.

Now my likely purchase will be a Panoramic. Although it does have windows all around, it has superior construction, reasonable tech, and a front lounge. I will do things to insulate the back sleeping area to cut down on light and noise and, hopefully, heat, but i would prefer smaller, Travato-style double pane awning windows in the back.

I was initially intrigued by the B-Box, thinking i could get an even better separation between sleeping and living areas. But they are very expensive, and for whatever reason ARV seems to standardize on Mercedes/rear lounge configurations.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:21 PM   #886
Platinum Member

I saw a Promaster the other day fitted out by a small upfitter in OK that I suspect you would like. Front lounge bright and open, rear “bedroom” cozy wood paneling.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:43 PM   #887
Platinum Member

Quote:
“ Tents, truck campers and tear drop trailers don’t have windows.”

That is simply not true. There are windowed versions of all of those. Some have absolutely huge windows.
Some is the watch word. There generally is nothing like you illustrated in them. You know the intent. If there are windows they are most likely to be placed more like the B-Box in strategic places and not surrounding a back bed or windows all around the perimeter.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:51 AM   #888
Platinum Member

Quote:
I saw a Promaster the other day fitted out by a small upfitter in OK that I suspect you would like. Front lounge bright and open, rear “bedroom” cozy wood paneling.
What is the name of that upfitter? Do they do quality work?
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:00 PM   #889
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I totally agree with you.

But, don't overlook the costs of those windows. Every window is at the expense of a large storage space. The Vanlife gang seems to care more about the storage than the warmth and brightness. I guess it is because they all fantasize about full-timing in their vans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Yes then there's the thing about being able to work in your van. Why? The idea of having a van is to get as far away from work as possible! The priorities are completely bizarre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
What is the name of that upfitter? Do they do quality work?
I didn’t get a name. South of Bartlesville, OK. Ideas were excellent, workmanship so-so.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:00 PM   #890
Platinum Member

Huh? I just saw my just previous post has quotes in it I didn’t intend to put there??