Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #691
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 158
Default Don't want to go out in the snow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Why is 4 season plumbing only of value with full timing? I think this feature has less to do with the extent of use and more to do with the freedom to enjoy full use of the coach wherever and whenever you wish. I think its bizarre that while we make all sorts of non-negotiable demands regarding relatively superficial stuff like cabinetry, jazzy lighting etc, when we learn that for 3-4 months out of a year we can't use our RV plumbing, we cheerfully accept it.
Cruising, you're absolutely correct.... four season plumbing is not really an issue unless you are in inclement weather.. last fall we were traveling in December and actually got into some freakish weather in Birmingham Alabama... snowed December 10.... extremely early for the area....

I live in Southern California... we'll try and avoid the snow .. we're not full time... and probably won't do that ever...bad financial move...

If I ever decided to go full time...I'd likely get a 40 foot class A... Probably won't do that either... again, bad financial investment...
__________________

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #692
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 158
Default Good to know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Class Bs hold their value. There is more demand than supply. Thatís the concept everyone forgets. To get in, yes, there is a great cash outlay, but once youíre in trading up is not so onerous. You only live once and you have so many years of RVing and most donít get into it until retirement. Thus, few short years for most. Maybe Iíll change my mind and just buy a Corvette instead.

David, I followed my father in law's advise... retire early and enjoy your retirement...no do overs....
__________________

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:06 AM   #693
Bronze Member
 
kite_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: OR
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbaty View Post
Example: Where is the fresh water tank on the Banff/Axion? It took me 10 minutes of prying to deduce it must be in that black shelf behind the drivers+passenger seats. My conclusion stems from finding that the water fill inlet is in the driver's side door jam (nicely hidden). There is also a black plastic cover behind the driver's seat leading down to the shelf. I took special interest in this because that cover keeps the driver's seat from rotating completely. When I asked a salesman who had visited the factory he said that black cover hides electrical equipment. One of us is wrong.

DougB
You are a mile ahead of the sales guy. Everything you see behind the driver's seat is the freshwater tank (covered by that black cover). When we picked up our Axion we were told that the *only* way to fill the fresh water tank was through the 'city' water connection outside the van behind the driver's side front wheel. Of course if you actually do this you get water spraying out of the fill in the drivers side door jam. Our dealer had thrown way the orange cap that covers the fill and was convinced that this was only a vent

Anyway, I've got plenty of examples (and I'm many other do too) that prove you really need to do you own homework on these Class B rigs and be very weary of the dealer 'experts'...
__________________
__________________________________________
2017 Carado (Hymer) Axion. 136" HT Promaster V6 Gas.
Previous: 02 VW Eurovan Camper, 99 Eurovan Camper, 86 VW Westfalia Full Camper, 82 VW Westfalia Full Camper (All VW's well used and sold at a PROFIT!)
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #694
Platinum Member
 
Mat Mobile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Quebec
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have a thread called Advancing Alvar on here that went from design conception to build to use on our B. Iím contemplating a new B called Mies - ďLess is moreĒ or as my wife likes to call it, Get Shorty. I tend to name my Bs after famous 20th Century architects.
Yes, please do start a thread for your next B! I would be really interested.
__________________
Currently building Gandalf (1998 Roadtrek Versatile 200 2WD)
Instagram account: @the_bohemivan
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #695
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
Yes, please do start a thread for your next B! I would be really interested.

Agree - Davydd you have great experience and a good sense for design of B-vans.


- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #696
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,370
Default

Well, when the cost of a high end SUV can approach six figures, it's not all that hard to justify a Class B van, retired or not.

I don't know why anyone would consider full-timing to be a bad investment? You can spend alot of money each day, or very little. Depends on how you like to be entertained. Hiking, kayaking and biking are pretty cheap.

Sitting at home, bored, is when I find I spend too much money.
__________________
2017 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, 2000 Xplorer 230 XLW (soon to sell) 2019 Travato GL (on order)
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #697
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 158
Default It's all about a depreciating asset....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well, when the cost of a high end SUV can approach six figures, it's not all that hard to justify a Class B van, retired or not.

I don't know why anyone would consider full-timing to be a bad investment? You can spend alot of money each day, or very little. Depends on how you like to be entertained. Hiking, kayaking and biking are pretty cheap.

Sitting at home, bored, is when I find I spend too much money.
Of course it all depends on how you prioritize and spend money.... BUT, it's pretty much a given that your vehicles will depreciate a lot more than your home will...and in many cases your house will just continue to go UP in value......

Our house has gone up 600 percent since we purchased it... made it possible for me to have an RV. An RV starts losing value the day you purchased it ... new or used....in fact, purchased new...the deprecation is the steepest curve ever....loses on average 40 to 50 percent of its value in the first five years... after that...it starts to level off and go more slowly...

The reverse is true with a house... over time...it just gets more valuable.... we've been in our house for over 35 years...I know exactly where it's going.... Not down.. that's for sure...

I realize that a lot of people like full time...and I know it's a "life style" .. maybe it's working for some of you... not my desire.. good luck.....

I'm just having to have an RV to enjoy from time to time... enjoy your rig...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #698
Platinum Member
 
wincrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 2,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Of course it all depends on how you prioritize and spend money.... BUT, it's pretty much a given that your vehicles will depreciate a lot more than your home will...and in many cases your house will just continue to go UP in value......

Our house has gone up 600 percent since we purchased it... made it possible for me to have an RV. An RV starts losing value the day you purchased it ... new or used....in fact, purchased new...the deprecation is the steepest curve ever....loses on average 40 to 50 percent of its value in the first five years... after that...it starts to level off and go more slowly...

The reverse is true with a house... over time...it just gets more valuable.... we've been in our house for over 35 years...I know exactly where it's going.... Not down.. that's for sure...

I realize that a lot of people like full time...and I know it's a "life style" .. maybe it's working for some of you... not my desire.. good luck.....

I'm just having to have an RV to enjoy from time to time... enjoy your rig...
Well you are starting from an assumption that you trade your house for an RV. Why would you need to do that? Keep your house for when full-timing is done - nobody stays on the road forever. So it's not a one over the other argument. Not to mention, you could always rent out your house (especially in high rent areas) or airbnb it, and make some money to fund your travels.

So Cal is an aberration on values - most of the country, the financial wisdom of investing in real estate is somewhat questionable - there are many more investments that have better yield and no maintenance, utilities and tax burden each year. Plus, CA always seems to be boom & bust, so your timing has to be right to get a big return. Unless you move away, your big gain is consumed by the high price of finding another suitable house.
__________________
2017 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, 2000 Xplorer 230 XLW (soon to sell) 2019 Travato GL (on order)
Follow my blog: https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassBCamperVans/
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #699
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: League City, TX
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
...
So Cal is an aberration on values....
We in Houston tend to assume that the people who choose to live in So Cal must be under-written by family money to afford those houses. The math simply doesn't work otherwise. But it's not always the case. On Monday my husband had to commute to the Los Angeles area for a business meeting. As he was chatting up one of the other participants, he discovered that the guy's mortgage is four times what ours is -- and ours is a 15-year mortgage. Four times. That's so high that it takes 100% of one well-compensated professional person's salary just to pay it. I'd simply never live there.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #700
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We in Houston tend to assume that the people who choose to live in So Cal must be under-written by family money to afford those houses. The math simply doesn't work otherwise. But it's not always the case. On Monday my husband had to commute to the Los Angeles area for a business meeting. As he was chatting up one of the other participants, he discovered that the guy's mortgage is four times what ours is -- and ours is a 15-year mortgage. Four times. That's so high that it takes 100% of one well-compensated professional person's salary just to pay it. I'd simply never live there.

Having been involved in hiring engineers and managers to work in Southern California I can tell you that housing costs get factored into salary and bonus calculations. Those engineers doing same try of work get paid a lot more than same type of engineer in Texas.


- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
__________________

__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.