Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 04:32 AM   #301
Platinum Member

Seems like a good choice partnering with Spartan for US assembly...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #302
Platinum Member

August 2015 Class B Shipment stats have been published on RVIA's site The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Main Site Home

Shipments are up 22% compared to last August. They are up 7.2% year to date.

August 2015 Class B Shipments.JPG

150 more Class B vans have shipped this year compared to same time frame last year.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #303
Platinum Member

August 2015 Class B Sales stats have been posted on RV Business:
SSI: ‘B’ Sales Keep Rolling; Up 13.7% in August | RV Business

Sales were up 13.7%

Quote:
Year-over-year Class B motorhome retail registrations increased 13.7% in August and 2o.6% for the first eight months, according to the latest report from Statistical Surveys Inc. (SSI).

Here's the Class B market share breakdown:

June 2015
Winnebago Industries Inc. 33% market share.
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 27.9% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 24.5% market share.
Pleasure-Way 10.3% market share.

July 2015
Winnebago Industries Inc. 33.8% market share.
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 27.6% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 24.1% market share.
Pleasure-Way 10.2% market share.

August 2015
Winnebago Industries Inc. 33.9% market share.
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 28% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 24% market share.

Winnebago keeps reaching new highs. Like last month, it looks like they've settled into these positions in the rankings.

Winnebago looks set to claim the #1 spot for all of 2015.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #304
Platinum Member

Interesting in that it looks like Roadtrek is nibbling on Airstream's share.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:20 PM   #305
Platinum Member

Winnebago didn't meet earnings estimates this past quarter. That might indicate their other RV categories are not doing as well.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #306
Platinum Member

Winnebago 4Q Profit Down; Towable Sales Soar | RV Business

Quote:
Winnebago reported that its high-end Class A motorhomes fell 34% in the fourth quarter while sales of its Class B and Class C vehicles rose about 13% and 45%, respectively.
This is interesting also: Winnebago Moves to Up Motorhome Production | RV Business
Old 10-17-2015, 03:53 AM   #307
Platinum Member

Interesting articles. Their bus line was loosing money, so that had to hit earnings along with less income from the high end class A's. They have a lot of offerings in A's without a lot of differentiation amoungst them. Seems to me alot of overlap in those lines.

Their high end class A line has been criticized as pricey, yet not premium enough compared to other makes. Lots of competition in that space and Entegra is kicking butt value wise if you read the other forums. Their mid-range and low end in the A's are pretty good offerings, but again there is stiff competition from Tiffin & Thor.

All their other lines are at max capacity and they need labor. Customers continue to go down-market.

Seems to me the writing is on the wall - give up/reduce production on the high end products, particularly the Class A's and increase production on mid to low range offerings in B's, C's and towables.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #308
Platinum Member

As the economy was falling apart 10 years ago, much of the customer base for RV's disappeared along with the jobs. Only the financially secure retired and wealthy customers remained as buyers. The notorious 1% expects, and is willing to pay for luxury and quality, and the manufacturers (wisely) catered to what was left of their market.

It seems to me a whole new market has emerged (especially with Class B) of folks getting their jobs and security back with the improving economy. They are not necessarily wealthy, and not necessarily needing top of the line luxury, but they do demand value, some tech, and solid craftsmanship. I think Winnebago has hit the nail on the head with the Travato. And I think Roadtrek would be doing great too, if they could keep their prices down, quality up, and make it all function as advertised. Seems to me that there is plenty of competition in (the very small market of) high end luxury B's.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #309
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
...I think Winnebago has hit the nail on the head with the Travato. And I think Roadtrek would be doing great too, if they could keep their prices down, quality up, and make it all function as advertised. Seems to me that there is plenty of competition in (the very small market of) high end luxury B's.
That's why I have mixed feelings about Winnebago's move to refresh the Era line. Our family needs 5 seatbelts plus space for the family dog, which eliminates the Travato and pushes us into the Sprinter. (Thanks for nothing Ford.) More luxury is always cool but not really our priority at this point. But given the chance between buying a pre-updated 2016 and an updated 2016 for just a little bit more (as a percentage of total price), I think we're going with the updated interior (mostly for the Truma, no carpet, etc). So maybe these manufacturers know what they're doing by pushing for more luxury.

The return of reasonable interest rates is probably the only thing that will cause manufacturers to offer more practical designs.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #310
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Transita are coming.... they are now out in 2 manufacturers class C lines. Hopefully next year for B's

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #311
Platinum Member

Transit Class B vans will surely come from someone other than the custom builders but who knows which company will be first. There have been reports that Ford has not been providing the best technical support they could to the Class B companies looking at the Transit. Hopefully someone will get it done anyway...
Old 10-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #312
Platinum Member

Don't count on it from any of the mainstream manufacturers. Both Winnebago and Roadtrek have told me that there are issues. Primarily there is not much cost advantage over the Sprinter to make it worth it.

I'm expecting only to see B+ and C units on the Transit. That is where this chassis will shine.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #313
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Don't count on it from any of the mainstream manufacturers. Both Winnebago and Roadtrek have told me that there are issues. Primarily there is not much cost advantage over the Sprinter to make it worth it.

I'm expecting only to see B+ and C units on the Transit. That is where this chassis will shine.
it is amazing how a transit can be almost the price of a sprinter
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #314
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
it is amazing how a transit can be almost the price of a sprinter
Hopefully their prices remain close enough for Ford and MB to be competing for the same customers. We'll all end up with better vans in that scenario.

I wonder what Winnebago is paying for their Sprinters. Ford really might not have much of a price advantage, especially considering their lack of interest in the minuscule B market.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #315
Platinum Member

I think it will pan out like Wincrasher says. Mostly Sprinter and Promaster B's, a few Chevy's like the 170 & 210. Maybe a few Transit based B vans along the lines of the Ascent or Agile from the major builders.

I think only New West & Sportsmobile have built Ford Transit based Class B's so far.

I think Ford Transit cutaway's will be a popular Class C base.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:41 AM   #316
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
Hopefully their prices remain close enough for Ford and MB to be competing for the same customers. We'll all end up with better vans in that scenario.

I wonder what Winnebago is paying for their Sprinters. Ford really might not have much of a price advantage, especially considering their lack of interest in the minuscule B market.
I suspect they are getting a considerable discount - they import them directly, avoiding the extra costs everyone has to incur by buying the "re-assembled" vans from SC. Also, they must be getting volume discounts.

If you recollect from my Hershey report, there were no other Sprinter B's on offer below $132k. None. Many were $150k and above. So WGO's latest price increases, I think, were mostly just money left on the table, and to a lesser extent, the upgraded features they are offering. With their typical discounting, you can get a nicely equipped Era for $100k-$105K. The 4x4 will be around $110k out the door.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #317
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I think it will pan out like Wincrasher says. Mostly Sprinter and Promaster B's, a few Chevy's like the 170 & 210. Maybe a few Transit based B vans along the lines of the Ascent or Agile from the major builders.

I think only New West & Sportsmobile have built Ford Transit based Class B's so far.

I think Ford Transit cutaway's will be a popular Class C base.
The red van is an interesting offering. Looks like it's probably a lower price conversion. What do you all think of the al-fresco showering- that's a novel feature? The camp stove is the first I've seen set up like that (you can buy such a stove on Amazon). Wonder where it rides when underway? That cabinet doesn't look like it have a door to store it.

Oh, the guy that had that Sportsmobile Transit reported that he spent around $38k on the van and another $40k for the conversion. So $78k for what you see there.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:59 AM   #318
Platinum Member

There was a Transit camper conversion from Van Specialties posted on the Transit Owners Facebook group at the end of August.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4723...2213369928401/
Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #319
Platinum Member

September 2015 Class B Shipment stats have been published on RVIA's site The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Main Site Home

Shipments are up 15.3% compared to last September. They are up 8.1% year to date.

Sept 2015 Class B Shipments.JPG

186 more Class B vans have shipped this year compared to same time frame last year.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #320
Platinum Member

Looks like the growth in the total market is slowing.