Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #601
Platinum Member

Default VW California unit sales 2016

Just as an interesting point of comparison, Volkswagen in 2016 produced 12,887 units of their T6 California camper, the modern version of the classic VW campmobile that's ironically not available in California or any other US location.

That's about three times the annual US sales of all Class B's for 2016, but just a drop in the bucket compared to Volkswagen's overall 2016 production of 10,312,400 vehicles!
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #602
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Just as an interesting point of comparison, Volkswagen in 2016 produced 12,887 units of their T6 California camper, the modern version of the classic VW campmobile that's ironically not available in California or any other US location.

That's about three times the annual US sales of all Class B's for 2016, but just a drop in the bucket compared to Volkswagen's overall 2016 production of 10,312,400 vehicles!
Wow... that's quite some perspective.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:27 AM   #603
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That is a major change with Winnebago topping 40% and ascending to number 1. Since Winnebago and Roadtrek both market Promasters that can't be blamed on the popularity of the platform.
;Maybe a lot of Travatos going out the door?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #604
Platinum Member

Quote:

Looking at how they are equipped it might be better to compare them to US conversion vans with a high roof, as they are closer to them than to a class B motorhome, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:33 AM   #605
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
;Maybe a lot of Travatos going out the door?
6 vans per day out of the plant, 6 days per week. Either 4 or 5 are Travatos. The other 1 or 2 are split between the Paseo & ERA.

Just toured the plant 3 weeks ago....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:14 AM   #606
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
6 vans per day out of the plant, 6 days per week. Either 4 or 5 are Travatos. The other 1 or 2 are split between the Paseo & ERA.

Just toured the plant 3 weeks ago....
+1

Old 08-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #607
Platinum Member

Quote:
It would be interesting to see the US market reaction to potential availability of T6 Campers at UK prices. I am sure VW must have done diligent evaluation of bringing T6 to US or not, but my gut feeling tells me VW is missing that market. Talking from experience for young family of 4-5 T6 Camper could be unbeatable, easy to use as a drive around vehicle, easy garage parking, less restriction for parking etc. T6 California is not a full B, but it could easily take away large population from the current B market plus newcomers. While in EU, every time I see T6 I say to myself, hwhy!
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #608
Platinum Member

Hymer put out a lot of product to fill the Camping World supply chain. I think all that inventory building put them ahead for awhile. But I suspect those shoddy units are not selling really well, so no re-orders. Another thing that might be going on is people turning away from Roadtrek/Hymer because of the long wait times on orders during the first quarter while they were building all that inventory.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #609
Gold Member

I took the Hymer/Roadtrek Factory Tour last month. According to the Tour Guide, the Sunlight Van Ones were being built at the rate of ONE PER HOUR (!!!) to fill Camping World's initial Order. Two Shifts, 16 Units per day. Explains the truly awful build quality of those Units. As the previous Poster commented, that Production came at a cost, delaying delivery of the other Models. I believe Winnebago will continue to maintain their Market Share lead 😉
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #610
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
……………………………. But I suspect those shoddy units are not selling really well, so no re-orders. ……………………..
This cheap and shoddy build strategy will hound them for long time, Hymer either misjudge the NA market or execute poorly their entry to NA. Hymer must have known Jim Hamill’s reckless strategy, so no excuse for Hymer such as - we didn’t know.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #611
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
This cheap and shoddy build strategy will hound them for long time, Hymer either misjudge the NA market or execute poorly their entry to NA. Hymer must have known Jim Hamill’s reckless strategy, so no excuse for Hymer such as - we didn’t know.
How has Hymer misjudged the NA market?

What is Jim Hamill's reckless strategy?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #612
Platinum Member

I read about the shoddiness of the Hymer builds, and can't but help think of a few things: Camping World is their prime sales point; OMG, the attitude of the people at CW should be equal to the shoddy builds - their attitudes sucks. Also, when the junk comes back for repair.....to CW - wonder how long that will take to get accomplished - never! Unless CW changes their way of doing business with having stores staffed by people who are there but for a few weeks/months - and they are on their way once again I haven't been to a CW in years - they always have the SOS! Ron
Old 08-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #613
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
How has Hymer misjudged the NA market?

What is Jim Hamill's reckless strategy?
Has Hymer misjudged the market, maybe, maybe not, but addressing the all ranges of prices is likely where they need to be with all the competition that is showing up.

What is Hamill's reckless strategy? What part of it isn't. Throw out new models like popcorn popping and see what happens to stick. Don't bother to find out if all the new models are going to work either technically or quality wise. Hire a bunch of interns to design a complex ground up lithium battery system. Totally inflate performance claims and then attack and insult and attack anyone who would dare to ask for data or question the claims, then quietly change the claims later on with no word, apology, or offer to help out customers who believed the claims and bought vans based on them. Personally get involved in making promises to customers on special orders, delivery times, etc and then not follow through.

The list could go on nearly forever.

Hopefully, Hymer is working some new technical and quality help, as in the past it appeared that salesmen types were calling all the shots, including Hamill who is 100% salesmen. Turning around an entire business where basically all the areas need big changes in not an easy task. Running a design to ship type factory is not an easy chore, and it takes very good people at all levels of management to do it right as they have to be able to deal with everyone from sales type, dealers, engineers, quality people, vendors, and most importantly the production worker who often just seem to take the blame for things that they have no control over. I well trained and treated workforce that doesn't need a lot or rules and discipline will always majorly outproduce and make better products than a tightly controlled, poor trained, poorly treated, but out of control workforce that is being pushed to produce, produce, produce.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #614
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post

What is Hamill's reckless strategy? What part of it isn't.

LOL

Did you mention Coach Connect?

There are fumming customers who paid good money for their RV, but are still holding the bag. And RT simply move on and don't give a damn.

A couple of brand new RT TS (yes, brand new 2015 models) have just found unsuspecting buyers. They should have sent those RV to the crushers.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #615
Platinum Member

What's interesting is the huge jump in share for WGO after months of bouncing around within 1-2%. For them to now have 40% share is nothing short of amazing. I hadn't heard that there is any big additions to their production output - they still only have 3 lines in there single production shop. So I doubt they have magically been shipping more units than they have the rest of the year. Others must have dropped output.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #616
Platinum Member

I saw a Simplicity at a CW last week. It is every bit the POS that was portrayed in that video that's floating around. I was thankful the salesman was busy elsewhere. No one needs that kind of embarrassment.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #617
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
What is Hamill's reckless strategy? What part of it isn't. ........................
Great summary,

George.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #618
Platinum Member

Shipment data posted on RV Business: RVIA: July Shipment Totals are Best in 40 Years | RV Business

Class B unit shipment numbers are still fantastic! 836 more units shipped year to date compared to last years numbers.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #619
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Shipment data posted on RV Business: RVIA: July Shipment Totals are Best in 40 Years | RV Business

Class B unit shipment numbers are still fantastic! 836 more units shipped year to date compared to last years numbers.
+1

Reality check -- the numbers are still nothing compared to the other classes.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #620
Platinum Member

July 2017 Class B Sales stats have been posted on RV Business: SSI: Class B Sales Continue Climb, up 32% YTD | RV Business

Here's the Class B market share breakdown:

May 2017
Erwin Hymer Group North America 33.1% market share.
Winnebago Industries Inc. 32.1% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 17.7% market share.
Pleasure-Way Industries 10.1% market share.

June 2017
Winnebago Industries Inc. 40.2% market share.
Erwin Hymer Group North America 26.8% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 14.2% market share.

July 2017
Winnebago Industries Inc. 34.5% market share.
Erwin Hymer Group North America 31.3% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 16.5% market share.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote