Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #81
Silver Member

“The CEO also said the company will honour all Roadtrek warranties for vehicles sold prior to the receivership”
https://www.therecord.com/news-story...oadtrek-brand/
rectalogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:59 AM   #82
Platinum Member

Default Westfalia CEO Mike Reuer

Some additional comments from the Record article about Westfalia CEO Mike Reuer and the Roadtrek acquisition:
We know that Roadtrek is a very well-known brand with a good market share. The synergies that are possible with Westfalia and Roadtrek, we thought we'd definitely see if we can get it going again and get this back on track.

The company intends to scale back production and occupy just one of the four manufacturing plants operated by Erwin Hymer Group, with plans to hire an estimated 100 employees once production resumes, then expand to as many as 200 within a year to 18 months

Reuer said one of their first priorities will be to mend bridges with many of the former suppliers that are now listed as creditors in the receivership process and are owed hundreds of millions of dollars. "Of course, there is some uncertainty, and that can't be neglected, but it was a good brand in the past," said Reuer.

Reuer sounds remarkably humble, and cautiously procedural, in Rapido / Westfalia's approach to rebuilding Roadtrek. Quite a contrast to the braggadocio and bluster of Jim Hammill. I wish them well.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:04 AM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Some additional comments from the Record article about Westfalia CEO Mike Reuer and the Roadtrek acquisition:
We know that Roadtrek is a very well-known brand with a good market share. The synergies that are possible with Westfalia and Roadtrek, we thought we'd definitely see if we can get it going again and get this back on track.

The company intends to scale back production and occupy just one of the four manufacturing plants operated by Erwin Hymer Group, with plans to hire an estimated 100 employees once production resumes, then expand to as many as 200 within a year to 18 months

Reuer said one of their first priorities will be to mend bridges with many of the former suppliers that are now listed as creditors in the receivership process and are owed hundreds of millions of dollars. "Of course, there is some uncertainty, and that can't be neglected, but it was a good brand in the past," said Reuer.

Reuer sounds remarkably humble, and cautiously procedural, in Rapido / Westfalia's approach to rebuilding Roadtrek. Quite a contrast to the braggadocio and bluster of Jim Hammill. I wish them well.

That is an excellent statement and so unusual in the cut throat, take no prisoners, business world these days. Dare I say ethical?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:34 AM   #84
Platinum Member

This is long interview with Mike Reuer who led Westfalia recovery from the Daimler disaster. Seems as he is going to be directly or indirectly very involve in Roadtrek recovery. With engineering background and recovery experience this could be a very good news for Roadtrek. This interview can shed some light on Rapido strategy how to bring Roadtrek back to life.

https://creditreform-magazin.de/2016...bil-westfalia/

“Motorhome farmer Westfalia: "Takeover was a stroke of luck"
Westfalia brings holiday feeling to the street. But almost the manufacturer of motorhomes itself would have come off the track. CEO Mike Reuer talks about the successful turnaround, pragmatism and autoshow.

Mr. Reuer, you come from luxury yacht construction, today you are a medium-sized automobile manufacturer. Was that a big step for you?
Not necessarily. In interior design yes - to put it bluntly - made similar demands on the functionality. Whether with keel and fuselage or with wheels and suspension, the goal is the same: in the smallest space you want to offer sleeping facilities, a seating area and a kitchen.
Hand on heart: Do bathrooms belong in cars?
They play the toilet in our vehicles. So: As a wanderer you know the problem. Can I make it to a hut every night, or do I have to go to the tent in the open prairie - with all the accompanying circumstances? We bring the solution for the camper in the motorhome. And notice: The toilets are in high demand. Especially women do not necessarily want to run over the campsite at night.
And how do you stand for showering in a van?
For vehicles of our size, opinions are divided. Some say: No, shower only when it has to be absolute. But the athletes on the go, surfers, mountain bikers or racing cyclists, like to use the shower when they are silty or sweaty - as an outdoor shower or wet cell.
Who hears Westfalia, first has a VW bus in mind - the Bulli. Can you describe the special relationship of your company to VW?
This is indeed influential, many have spent their youth with such a VW camper. For decades, Volkswagen has been running the Bullis on tracks in Rheda-Wiedenbrück, where we have been making them campers since 1951. Then VW has distributed the finished campers on its own dealer network. It was a very good partnership - for both parties over many years.
When you were brought to Westfalia Mobil in 2011, the good times were over. How did the bankruptcy happen?
In 1999, the family of entrepreneurs sold Westfalia in three units. The new owner of our motorhome unit, which made the extensions for original manufacturers, was the Daimler AG. So it broke with Volkswagen. VW said then: Why should Daimler earn on our vehicles? And therefore decided to build up an own development work for the Bulli near Hanover.
Can you understand that?
For sure. That was not a reaction of defiance, but economic calculation: One wanted to make sure that one does not support a competitor directly financially.
Did the plan for Daimler build motorhomes?
To integrate an originally medium-sized company into a large group is a difficult task. Although Mercedes had control and brought with the models Marco Polo and James Look the added value in the house. But since the acquisition Westfalia was not profitable. Daimler has repeatedly had to nachschießen and sold us in 2007 to the private equity investor Aurelius. He has filed for bankruptcy in 2010. At that time it was not foreseeable that a recovery would set in.
Personal
Mike Reuer worked for ten years at night Manufacturer Bavaria in customer service, quality management and sales manager before he became managing director of Concorde motorhomes. In 2011 he moved to the then crisis-ridden competition Westfalia. The trained electrical engineer, who enjoys skiing and mountain biking, also likes to tour the motorhome privately.
How did the rescue succeed?
The French Rapido Group, which is expanding its own van, was very interested in the continuation of the Westfalia business during the bankruptcy. The acquisition was a stroke of luck, as Rapido is family-run and the fifth largest motorhome manufacturer in Europe. Expensive corporate structures are far from us. The owner Pierre Rousseau, who brought me, is accustomed to make pragmatic decisions.
Sounds like two soul mates have met. Where could you identify growth potential?
We saw the construction of our own vehicles as a great opportunity. Otherwise we are always hanging on the drip of the automotive industry. So since 2011 we are again pushing the development of our own models such as Columbus and Amundsen on Fiat basis or the Club Joker based on the VW van. For VW, we no longer manufacture anything on behalf of us, but we are a VW customer, buy their base vehicles, build them on their own account and sell them ourselves. We already achieve about 50 percent of our sales with such proprietary business.
What are your core markets - and how did you open them up? The company was indeed on the ground.
Unfortunately, we lost all our own traders in the bankruptcy phase. In addition to building its own product line, it was about building a dealer network in Europe. One thing was clear: we can not afford to supply the whole world. First of all, we set up a dealer network in Germany and parallel in France, where we were able to integrate the Rapido dealers. Today, England and Scandinavia are also among our core markets. Not to be underestimated are Switzerland and the Benelux, where motorhomes are very popular.
"It is precisely our task to bring younger people into the motorhome"
In your advertising you like to play the card "Freedom". What does your typical customer look like? Young and daring?
Especially we have the task to bring younger people into the motorhome, otherwise we have a real problem in 15 years. Currently the average motorhome customer is over 60 years old. So we want to convince people in mid-30s or 40s to drive the motorhome as a 365-day family car. This is only possible with a compact van, with which I come to normal parking spaces and ideally in underground garages.
Two meters are the maximum. That's what it's about ... right
. And therefore the market segment of box cars with pitch roofs is growing the strongest. They are suitable for everyday use and are not damned as a second car to stand around. With a Mercedes Marco Polo or VW Club Joker City you can drive to work, bring the kids to school, go shopping. And at the weekend only the bikes come in or the kayak on top. If you go to a party, you do not have to book a room - you stay in the vehicle.
Will convenience in camping become more important?
Quite clear: the demands for comfort are growing. "Only me and nature" - you have to say goodbye to this puristic idea. Today, an interior design not only has to be functional. The customers want to feel good. Even if you can not open the sliding door for three days in bad weather. It's a little bit like home.
A feeling of home on only eight square meters ...?
It is in addition to sleeping comfort and intelligent details much to look and feel. Modern surfaces are important and light and dark contrasts. This can be seen in the new Marco Polo: The design language that Mercedes offers in the V-Class in the front area with a topchic cab, we had to continue to the rear. There are customers who say: Hmm, almost too modern for a camper. But in the end they take the beautiful.
VW plans for 2018 the E-Bulli. When do you expect the Stromer breakthrough in the motorhome market?
Overall, the issue will come as a result of CO₂ restrictions and customer demand, but currently there has not been a good approach in the camper area. Honestly, we do not have that either. Already empty, the vehicles weigh 2.8 tons, you would need the super battery. Even bigger is the problem to make room for the batteries, because it competes with the already limited storage space.
"We pay as one of the few manufacturers the collective wage"
They have recently focused on labor costs in East Westphalia.
I'm not happy with that, I'd like to keep it down, but I have to deal with it. We pay as one of the few motorhome manufacturers the collective wage of IG Metall. Workers in production also receive a performance bonus of 30 percent, which no other manufacturer pays in the amount. This restricts our competitiveness. So we have to be efficient. This can only work if the quantities pass through accordingly. This works well at the moment, but remains a risk factor.
Even a production relocation was in discussion. Westfalia from Eastern Europe?
We were definitely in Germany. We seriously thought about it and were ready to flip the switch. But we had a decent agreement, that was successful. You can not want to increase production on the one hand and argue with the workforce on the other. That will not go well.
One question still has to be: you wear an earring on the left - old maritime tradition?
No, I've always worn that. I am being approached in manager circles more often. It is not common for managers to wear an earring. But it's part of me and you will not get changed.

The motorhome manufacturer Westfalia
From Bullis, up and down
Until 1844, the roots of the company reach out to Wiedenbrück. Founded as a blacksmith, the East Westphalian entrepreneurial family Knöbel entered the mobile business at an early stage. The focus was initially on the construction of heavy horse-drawn carriages. In 1951, the first camper van was built on a VW basis - a British officer had made this request. With ruffled window curtains, sofa bed, sideboard and folding table he became a dream car of the 1950s - and went as a "camping box" in series. The Bulli myth was born.
Westfalia justified a boom of the campers: From 1977, the Mercedes-Benz van "James Cook" along with his wet cell to blockbuster, the racer of the 80s is the VW T3 expansion called "Joker", even Ford leaves his "nugget" from Westfalia to the motorhome.
Westfalia came into spinning in the 1990s, also due to disputes between the owners. The Knöbel family sold the company split in 1999 into three separate lots. But even after Daimler AG took over the RV part in 2001, business did not get any better. Bankruptcy was registered in 2010, but in 2011, the French, medium-sized Rapido Group took over the company, which now operates as Westfalen Mobil GmbH.
Strong uptrend
Since 2015, business at Westfalia is booming again. The number of employees was increased from 177 to 244 employees, sales increase, according to the CEO Mike Reuer from 42 million euros to approximately 65 million euros. For Mercedes, Ford and PSA one expands between 3,800 and 4,000 vehicles, in addition to a growing interest in the in-house developments. "There we will make a jump on 500 pieces," predicts Reuer.”
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:43 AM   #85
Platinum Member

This one telling paragraf from the ebove interview

"It is precisely our task to bring younger people into the motorhome"
In your advertising you like to play the card "Freedom". What does your typical customer look like? Young and daring?
Especially we have the task to bring younger people into the motorhome, otherwise we have a real problem in 15 years. Currently the average motorhome customer is over 60 years old. So we want to convince people in mid-30s or 40s to drive the motorhome as a 365-day family car."
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:01 AM   #86
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectalogic View Post
“The CEO also said the company will honour all Roadtrek warranties for vehicles sold prior to the receivership”
https://www.therecord.com/news-story...oadtrek-brand/
As happy as I am for Roadtrek owners, I believe honoring prior warranties and taking on such a huge liability is a big mistake. I wish them well, however.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:28 AM   #87
Platinum Member

Hymer definitely went after the younger demographic with their Hymer and Carado brands and I feel that they were quite successful. Based on the FB Activ owners page, it is lots of young families... with a kid or two. Sort of similar to the old "van camper" market. The pop top models had really just come out and we have people that come on every day trying to find them.

From looking at the models that Rapido puts out in Europe, they should be able to keep this segment of the market very happy.

I'm thrilled that it looks like my warranty is back. I love being wrong, of course, we haven't yet seen the fine print. Note that he mentioned only those of us who bought before Feb 15. Those that bought after are in limbo as yet. As is the future on the Hymer and Carado brands in the US... what is Thor's intention?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #88
Platinum Member

" Note that he mentioned only those of us who bought before Feb 15. "

The news report says it applies to units "sold" before the company went into receivership. I assume that means sold to the dealers, not to the dealer's customers. But that isn't clear, in part because what we have is a news report on a deal still in progress.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #89
Platinum Member

There is a post on Facebook today where an owner called the writer of one of the articles and asked if the CEO meant just Roadtreks... not the Hymer products.

To quote the author who interviewed the CEO of Rapido... reporting the CEO told him that, "They did not purchase any Hymer brand rights as they still belong with the German parent company, so they will not be honouring any warranties for that brand. Just Roadtrek. He couldn’t say what would happen with those warranties."

And it also excludes the RT buyers who took advantage of the massive discounts since there was no warranty included with these rigs... as the dealers informed them. There was no warranty neither in writing, nor in the price... though some dealers provided 3rd party warranties... either free or discount priced.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 04-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #90
Platinum Member

Do you have a link to that facebook link? The one I saw said this:

"Jeff Simek I reached out to the reporter who wrote this story asking whether he believed the warranty offer would be extended to owners of Hymer-branded vans built at the same factory. He told me that his understanding is that it would cover only Roadtrek products. Not the answer my fellow Hymer Aktiv owners might have hoped for, but also might not be the last word on the subject. Time will tell."

That was the author of this story: https://www.therecord.com/news-story...mrspicf34ttvvc
Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 AM   #91
Platinum Member

I am glad to see RT coming back again. I just hope that the new owners will not make the mistake of the Hymer Group and make Camping World as a Dealer. Ron
Old 04-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #92
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Do you have a link to that facebook link? The one I saw said this:

"Jeff Simek I reached out to the reporter who wrote this story asking whether he believed the warranty offer would be extended to owners of Hymer-branded vans built at the same factory. He told me that his understanding is that it would cover only Roadtrek products. Not the answer my fellow Hymer Aktiv owners might have hoped for, but also might not be the last word on the subject. Time will tell."

That was the author of this story: https://www.therecord.com/news-story...mrspicf34ttvvc
Seriously... did you not bother to read my post before yours? Or do you not understand the meaning of my quote from the email that the author of the article that Jeff reported. Why should I bother to find you the link? Since many of the people here are not on FB or on all of the various Hymer and Roadtrek pages, I included that reporter's quote.

I know... we will just have to wait for the reporter or the CEO to report to you personally before a quote has any validity.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #93
Platinum Member

" do you not the meaning of my quote from the author of the article that Jeff reported."

Oh I understand its meaning, I just can't find it anywhere and you aren't the one who talked to the author. The author of that article gave no indication of the quote you provided or even having talked directly to the CEO of Rapido. He used the same quotes attributed to the CEO of Westfalia that were included in the company news release.

So I was interested in a report from someone who had followed up the news release and been able to talk directly to the CEO of Rapido. Or someone who had talked to the author of that article and got such a more definitive statement than Jeff.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #94
Platinum Member

Since you don't believe Jeff's quote of the reporter's email, I guess you will just have to call either the reporter or the CEO yourself.

Obviously you are a not a member of that RT page, so a link is of no use to you. Besides, you wouldn't believe it anyway because that is apparently not what you have decided are the facts or perhaps "facts." If you were on that page, you would probably be calling Jeff out for not having photos and a certified signature.

Your constantly accusing other posters of lying is really getting ridiculous. And, yes... that is exactly what you are doing.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 04-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #95
Platinum Member

I certainly am confused. I posted Jeff's full post above with attribution and I haven't accused anyone of lying. I am not sure why anyone would conclude that because I want to read an article by a reporter who has actually talked to Rapido's CEO about their plans.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:55 AM   #96
Platinum Member

Again... severe reading comprehension issues. You quoted one of his posts.

I took the quote I posted from another FB page that you obviously are not a member of... as I told you... a couple times now.

I suggest that you personally call the CEO to get your question answered.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #97
Platinum Member

Apparently, earlier news reports to the contrary, Rapido is not going to honor Roadtrek's six year assumable warranties. Instead, according to the receiver's report, they are going to provide a two year warranty to original purchasers and are excluding some units even from that warranty.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #98
Platinum Member

On all the many threads/articles that I have read on here, and all over Facebook... No article or legal document suggested that Rapido ever reported any intention of honoring the whole 6 year warranty. Lots hoped so... but the sensible among us kept telling them that this was highly unlikely... to impossible, and that we would have to wait for the company to give us the actual details.

And we were right. It is actually quite generous of them to offer a limited warranty to original purchasers for two years from date of purchase, up to $1500 total. Not much different from the usual RV warranties, and they have sensibly added a ceiling in order to be able to budget for possible expense. A good PR move.

The exclusion was only for Sprinters with 4 front seats that had not ever had proper pull test approval from the US or CA. While there have been no reports of injuries related to this in the many years RT offered this option, Rapido was smart to exclude the possible legal ramifications of this issue.

Their common sense approach to this impresses me and makes me hopeful that they will be more successful than Hymer in creating a company that will succeed.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-07-2019, 07:25 AM   #99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Thanks for the page BillsPaseo

Perhaps, but from all the evidence shown so far, it should not be Roadtrek's name that should be tarnished, but Hymer. They are the ones that swept in and bought Roadtrek, expanded at a ridiculous pace, spending money like a bunch of Vegas drunks... and piled it all into Roadtrek. That was followed by them slinking into the US, "selling" EHGNA to an American LLC... which is nothing but the Hymer family. Selling for Big Bucks their European company to Thor... money from which evaporated into the EU. (Minus a few million for the last payroll of the 900 or so employees that they had just screwed royally)

It is apparent that Roadtrek's accounting system left a great deal to be desired, but why did Hymer not step in and fix that? Instead they added insult to injury by leasing 4 new buildings, 3 of them new factories (?), 5 new product lines, 10 or more new models, (mostly competing with Roadtrek), all done on borrowed money... the debt dumped into Roadtrek... as they waltzed off with Thor... this act seemingly coordinated between the two of them in order for both of them to escape liabilities.

Meanwhile not even a mention of of any possible charges against those removed executives. Apparently no evidence of anything other than crappy record keeping and inflated sales numbers to look good.

I completely agree. RoadTrek was not the cause or the problem. I feel like their name is being tarnished very unfairly. This is 100% HYMER. They did this. And my goodness, so many people have brand new coaches and no warranties. That sucks so bad.
After ditching my brand new Sportsmobile (don’t ask- SMBW are a bunch of unapologetic homophobes), I myself walked away from an INCREDIBLE deal on a fully loaded Axion with VoltStart and lithium 800 for $52,000 brand new. I’m glad I did because if anything were to go wrong in those first 2 years, I’d be screwed. And they had their fair share of quality and other issues. I ended up building my gorgeous #CamperVan for a total of $42,000, including the brand new ProMaster van! I SAVED $10,000 and I’ve got everything. Hand built, beautiful repurposed woods, and solid. I have a huge battery bank, solar, huge inverter, rooftop A/C that can run off the inverter and NO BLACK TANK, lol.
I definitely dodged a bullet by not buying the Axion.

And again, this should have no reflection on RoadTrek’s reputation. They didn’t f*ck up. Hymer did.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #100
Platinum Member

Quote:
I’m glad I did because if anything were to go wrong in those first 2 years, I’d be screwed.
I thought Rapido was to honoring a two year warranty on most past purchases. Was the Axioin you were considering on the list of excluded vehicles?