Class B Forums

Class B Forums (http://www.classbforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion Forum (http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   LTV Wonder vs. RT Zion vs. Hymer Aktiv 1 or 2 (http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5/ltv-wonder-vs-rt-zion-vs-hymer-aktiv-1-or-2-a-7297.html)

indoorsy 01-18-2018 03:37 AM

LTV Wonder vs. RT Zion vs. Hymer Aktiv 1 or 2

hello,
I am new to the forum... I've been researching first Class C motorhomes (I think will be too big for me and as a newbie to RV'ing, too much of a learning curve), then B+ and now adding B to the mix. This would not be for full timing. Weekend road trips and possibly a week or two in the summer. Down the road would love to do a cross country road trip.

Considering the Leisure Travel Wonder as a B+, I like the extra width (don't have a basis to judge how it would be driving it vs. a B -- can imagine the less wide the better in terms of parking, navigating, etc.). The thing I don't like about the LTV Wonder is that it only has seat belts for two in the front. I'd like the option of taking both my kids, and a friend of two of theirs to camp in a tent alongside the RV. But otherwise I like the layout very much and also the modern styling.

After what seemed like exhaustive research I came across the Hymer Aktiv 2.0 and while i have not been in one, I love the layout and think it would be enough for me. I love that it has seatbelts for four. It appears to sleep three comfortably and that too is an additional benefit over the wider LTV Wonder. I think the bathroom in the LTV seems superior in every way and if I were living in it full time (and a couple, not someone with kids), that would be a major factor. It seems to have some of the features that I read LTV owners complaining about (the lack of on the LTV), namely under the hood generator, Eco Trek and Volt Start. Because of my lack of experience RV'ing, I don't really understand fully the practical benefits of those features (or I should say I don't have practical experience to judge their value, but from reading can see they seem like fantastic features). This one has a cassette toilet - would imagine for full timing this would get old but for what I have in mind, perhaps easier?? Anyone who can offer an opinion on that?

The Roadtrek Zion seems like it has everything you could want... a lot of the same features of the Aktiv. Maybe the styling is a little less plush looking from the pictures on the internet. They both have the same Ram ProMaster 3500 chassis. The difference between this and the Ford Transit chassis on the LTV - beats me?!

If anyone out there has done similar research and zeroed in on these options, could you please opine? I was ready to pull the trigger on the LTV Wonder but when I realized it only has two seatbelts my thoughts changed and that very well may be a deal breaker despite how awesome it appears to be.

Thanks so much and sorry so long.

BBQ 01-18-2018 04:07 AM

You said you want seating for 4?

All the RVs you mentioned do not qualify.

BBQ 01-18-2018 04:15 AM

First, you have to define how you are going to use the RV.
It might be difficult at the moment because you are "new" to RVing,
and also whatever you think you want to do now will definitely change later.

But you need a starting point.

If you are going to RV campsites (either commercial or state parks) with electrical plug in, water hookup, toilet and showers, your need for the RV in-house facility might not be as important.

If you are planning to be adventurous. eg. go off to BLM with no facilities, then you need to think about the equipments a bit more.

eg. the Aktiv has a small cassette toilet. It won't support 4 people for more than a day.

This is a starter. I hope it gets your imaginations going.

indoorsy 01-18-2018 04:16 AM

per Roadtrek's website the Zion has seatbelts for five and the Aktiv seatbelts for four.

indoorsy 01-18-2018 04:22 AM

hi Thanks, I had written (a lot) but in the first paragraph this: "This would not be for full timing. Weekend road trips and possibly a week or two in the summer. Down the road would love to do a cross country road trip." To be more specific, I imagine the beginning at campgrounds and as I gain some confidence OTBP. I think primarily it would be my son and me as my daughter is not much of a camper but if she were to go, imagining she'd have a friend with her (thus the need for the seatbelt) and they'd stay in a tent and use the campground facilities. If we are in campgrounds, I think it is pretty easy to take it easy on the cassette toilet and use their toilets. If I were to go cross country, likely just me and one other person (perhaps an SO??, who at this point is a phantom). Not sure if the cassette toilet could hold up to that type of usage? I would like to imagine that I'd be boon docking one day but of course you must walk before you run! thank you again.

GeorgeRa 01-18-2018 04:27 AM

We couldnít get exactly what we want so we converted 2013 passenger Sprinter. It is finished, a few improvements still on the list. We also did not look for long term camping, just few days camping trips occasionally a few weeks.

I am listing our objectives so you can evaluate them regarding your needs:

1. Windows 360 degree, either for driving or camping we like to soak ourselves with outdoor scenery.
2. Old Westfalias like layout, we drew from our experience based on 1977/85 Westfalia campers.
3. Rock and roll style sofa bed quickly deployable for night or day.
4. Hot water always available at the sink.
5. No inside shower, with 170Ē wheel base we would consider it but we wanted 144Ē shorter version Sprinter. We do have a transom shower.
6. Cassette toilet, easy to dump in restrooms, ne need to kneel near dump stations Black Holes. But, be careful with this topic, it is like choosing a religion.
7. We donít have under hood generator, we donít have Lithium batteries, we donít have Eco Trek, we donít have Volt Start, and guess, we are still alive. As far I am concern it is a current fad.

Without experience I would suggest test drive different lengths vans to settle on that important decision factor and ideally rent a B/B+/C-class to get a direct experience.

GeorgeRa 01-18-2018 04:35 AM

You could consider Sportsmobile or a like with a pop up roof, I think it is called Penthouse, just like old Westfalias. We had 3 kids sleeping on our Westfalia, 2 on the top, we slept on the bottom bed, and the youngest one in the hammock across the front seat. https://sportsmobile.com/penthouse-top/ https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/en...alifornia.html

indoorsy 01-18-2018 04:36 AM

hi GeorgeRa,
Thank you so much for all of that food for thought. I looked at your pictures -wow, great camper! I am hoping to get an idea of the size of the various options this weekend in Toronto. Heading up there for the RV show as all of the ones on my list will be present. The idea to rent first is EXCELLENT! I've learned of the website outdoorsy and while we seemed to be underrepresented in the RV arena in the Boston area, maybe I will find one of my choices on that website. Maybe my choices will change after visiting the show this weekend. Originally I had dreams of buying a cheap old RV and fixing it up but while I am inclined with design, not so much mechanically. I got scared off of that fantasy after reading zillions of forum posts about the multitude of problems that seem to crop up. Thank you again.

indoorsy 01-18-2018 04:40 AM

Those Westfalia-esque campers are very cool. In all my roving around the internet, never came across them. Would love that feeling of the outdoors coming in.

cruisefx 01-18-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indoorsy (Post 66672)
hi GeorgeRa,
Thank you so much for all of that food for thought. I looked at your pictures -wow, great camper! I am hoping to get an idea of the size of the various options this weekend in Toronto. Heading up there for the RV show as all of the ones on my list will be present. The idea to rent first is EXCELLENT! I've learned of the website outdoorsy and while we seemed to be underrepresented in the RV arena in the Boston area, maybe I will find one of my choices on that website. Maybe my choices will change after visiting the show this weekend. Originally I had dreams of buying a cheap old RV and fixing it up but while I am inclined with design, not so much mechanically. I got scared off of that fantasy after reading zillions of forum posts about the multitude of problems that seem to crop up. Thank you again.

A good idea to attend an RV show. We are in Toronto and although we have a 2004 Roadtrek 190 we attend the Toronto RV shows every year just to see what is out there and gawk!

When we were interested in purchasing, we attended the January show in 2014 and were drawn to the larger rigs for the space. Then after seeing the rigs and walking away, the practicality side over-ruled the decision for a larger rig. One of us had RVed before but the other had not. So the decision to spend >100K $CDN for something we were not sure one of us would enjoy weighed on the decision to buy used. One of the local dealers had a used RT and when we contacted them, they agreed to bring the RT to the second Toronto RV show in March. We were able to test drive it and then go inside to the show and compare it to the new RV offerings. We have had that RT for four years now. Sure it's not new and we had to add solar panels, an inverter and new batteries. It was in great shape (and it has 4 belted seats up front!). But we are so glad, we made the decision to buy used as we now have a much better understanding as to what we 'need' versus 'want'. Eventually we will get a newer rig as we transition from weekender/short vacations to longer travel/retirement mode.

We will be there on Saturday. If you are interested in meeting up, you can PM us. Good luck in your search!