Class B Forums

Class B Forums (http://www.classbforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion Forum (http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5/)
-   -   Lavatory faucet and shower diverter (http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5/lavatory-faucet-and-shower-diverter-8827.html)

Yoshimura 02-12-2019 06:20 PM

Lavatory faucet and shower diverter

I would like to replace our shower head with one that has a shut off valve but it seems not possible to keep the faucet integrated diverter in the shower position without water flowing.

Here's what I would like to do:

1. Close the shower head shut off valve
2. Adjust water temperature using the faucet
3. Switch the diverter to shower head
4. Use the shower head shut off valve to control water flow

However, 3. doesn't seem possible if shut off valve is closed.

What is your experience? Any tips?

magicbus 02-12-2019 07:11 PM

I believe the water flow is what keeps the diverter valve open and it shuts automatically when there is no flow, at least that is how it worked on a previous coach we had. We now have a separate handheld sprayer with a single handle control much like a home shower instead of incorporated in the faucet. I think to accomplish what you want to do you would need to change to a similar unit.

markopolo 02-12-2019 07:35 PM

I do step 1 then 3 then turn taps on then step 4. I have to hold the diverter pull up while turning the taps on. There's no drip from this particular shower head and I know where to set the 1/4 turn taps for temperature with minor adjustment later.

avanti 02-12-2019 07:41 PM

Sounds complicated.
The alternative is to install a tempering valve (which you should have for safety reasons anyway). You can then adjust it so that the hot water is always at your preferred shower temperature. No adjustment needed.

markopolo 02-12-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avanti (Post 88259)
Sounds complicated....

that's funny!

I do like the tempering valve idea :thumbup:

Lakesidemn 02-22-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshimura (Post 88248)
I would like to replace our shower head with one that has a shut off valve but it seems not possible to keep the faucet integrated diverter in the shower position without water flowing.

Here's what I would like to do:

1. Close the shower head shut off valve
2. Adjust water temperature using the faucet
3. Switch the diverter to shower head
4. Use the shower head shut off valve to control water flow

However, 3. doesn't seem possible if shut off valve is closed.

What is your experience? Any tips?

I use this controller I found on Amazon. Works great. Not sure if this does everything you want, but it's 10x better than trying to control the water flow from the H/C faucets.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GallenH 02-22-2019 10:54 PM

Has Anyone tried

Something like this?

1. Replace stock faucet in lav (separate hot/cold handles with diverter handle at rear) with a single handle faucet. Then
2. Use one of the original handle holes for a simple valve similar to household shut off valves under sink. Then
3. Use a temperature mixing valve as mentioned previously on this thread to combine hot and cold water feeds. Then
4. Take the single outlet from that valve and Y it to both the single handle faucet and the shut off valve for the shower head.

Most single handle faucets come with a base plate meant to cover the holes for the dual handled faucet that you are replacing. You could drill out a hole for the #2 valve above in this plate. The feed to the single handle faucet would go to the faucet hot and the cold to the faucet would be plugged off.

GallenH 02-23-2019 01:38 AM

Sorry: Unclear. #2 in previous post would be the new feed to the shower head. So here (once hot water had reached the sink) either the faucet or the shower head could be used independently. Turning off the shower at either the shower head itself or the #2 valve would never result in sending the water out the faucet. They would be independent of eachother.