Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
I wonder why they've only got one floorplan.
Instead of the multiple floor plans that RT and PW have for their Promaster RVs?

Yes, at least Winnebago has 2 floor plans for their Promaster. I wonder how sales are for each one, i.e. is one selling better than the other?
Old 09-22-2015, 01:48 PM   #82
Platinum Member

The Winnebago told me that the sales for the 59G were much higher than the 59K, but not by how much. Considering the marketing you see, that is not surprising. Also you see are ads for vans tricked out with kayaks on top and bicycles.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Also you see are ads for vans tricked out with kayaks on top and bicycles.
Maybe they should add the same racks to the K? The racks are an option on the G, aren't they? Make them an option on the K (but show them in the ads)
Old 09-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #84
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Maybe they should add the same racks to the K? The racks are an option on the G, aren't they? Make them an option on the K (but show them in the ads)
Of course you can. I'm just saying all the print and web ads are of the G. Showing youngsters camping with this stuff. I think they see the K as a more touring couple coach and not a sports-active camping van like the G.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #85
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
...Showing youngsters camping with this stuff. I think they see the K as a more touring couple coach and not a sports-active camping van like the G....
I think most "youngsters" still like to sleep together too.

AND might have more use for that large table and extra bed..

Seems to me, that most B floorplans are built for 2, and there are very few that accommodate 4. That is one of MY biggest draws to the "G" anyway.. I can hook a bike and kayak to anything.. (even my Subaru)
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #86
Platinum Member

Roadtrek Zion does have 2 floorplans. WGO ERA has three. Sportsmobile has unlimited.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Yes, Zion has 2 plans, but that is really just a swap of twin beds for king/couch across the back. Sportsmobile does offer the most options, but was really looking at standard available plans

I meant really different floor plans, like the Eras and the Travatos, where baths, galleys, and sleeping arrangements make major shifts/arrangements.

And yes, it would be great if Hymer came to US with a choice of floor plans.

We happen to really like the Hymer plan. We want an arrangement where sleeping and living quarters are separate; I sleep late and we don't want to convert the bed each day for a living area. Our ideal is "drinks for 8, dinner for 4, sleeps 2". Right now Travato G and the ERA 70A are the only ones that come close with separate sleeping and eating.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:16 PM   #88
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
Roadtrek Zion does have 2 floorplans. WGO ERA has three. Sportsmobile has unlimited.
A completely custom layout would be great, but I'd I imagine a Sportmobile would experience more depreciation and would be more difficult to sell or trade in when/if you wanted to. Throwing an unorthodox floor plan would probably just exacerbate the situation.

With all that said, if I lived in Texas instead of Washington state, I'd probably go with Sportsmobile. Living near by would make fixes and mods so much easier. I toured the Austin location a year ago and was impressed although I wasn't crazy about the dated interior design.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #89
Platinum Member

Most of the Sportsmobiles I've seen on Craigslist have had weird configurations. No bathrooms seems to be a common thing. But the prices are way over the top and they often sit on the list a long time. White laminate interiors are very popular in them it would seem.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #90
Platinum Member

I saw several for sale on consignment. I thought the prices were fairly high considering further modifications would likely be needed. I suppose if the Sprinters were T1Ns, the price might have been more reasonable.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #91
Platinum Member

The balance of Price/Quality and customization is a tricky one.

It doesn't seem possible (or realistic) to expect a custom builder to compete with someone like Winnebago, or even Roadtrek.

Sportsmobile tries to be somewhere in the middle.. I owned a Sportsmobile (which I bought used) and it held up really well, though they are not exactly cutting edge when it comes to design and current trends, but you can select from allot of "custom" (prefabbed) pieces they will try to combine and arrange to your liking. They do seem premium priced when compared to "assembly line" models.

On the other hand, I think they are pretty competitive if compared to a completely custom rig. I think you can get a nice complete rig for less than $100,000..

Transit, I think there are a couple custom builders up in your neck of the woods, Outside Van comes to mind; they recently sold a Promaster "upfit" for $59,600 which looked pretty sweet! Next Mission - Outside Van (It WAS missing a few things; like power, water, bath, toilet, sink, furniture, solar, screens, windows, TV, radio, dvd, a/c, heat, lp, generator, etc... ) but it was sweet.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #92
Platinum Member

Scottbaldassari, Outside Van does have some pretty attractive conversions. It looks like Van Specialities does some excellent work as well, although I've only seen the companies' work online. I think both companies favor cassette toilets which is a deal breaker for us. The Era’s 9.7 gallon black tank is already too small although it's something we’re use to with our 13” Scamp’s 9 gallon black tank.