Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Parking lot boondocking

You're always welcome to come up here and spend a few days/dollars anytime.

That sounds like a dream vacation to me, what with all the historical stuff you must have seen
first hand. It's like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time in person, after only ever seeing
it in books, and on TV or the internet.
The coffee issue sounds like it was challenging, but interesting.
I like an occasional espresso whilst standing.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #22
Platinum Member

We just returned from a trip in the Southeast US. On the return we stayed in the parking lot of a health club chain that we belong to. It was clean, safe and well lit. In the morning we had a workout and a shower. All for no cost.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I just returned from a trip in SW. I boondock EVERYWHERE.... rest stops , truck stops, shopping centers, residential areas, downtown LA,even. I have good "blackout" curtains. For shopping centers, either find one with a 24 hr grocery, or I look for one that has a business with delivery vans. Park in a line of vans and you're invisible. Or, I'll drive around residential areas and either park just outside an apartment complex, or look for a house for sale that's vacant. That way you're not taking anyone's spot. Often there is free wireless,too.... Then I have movies/ tv on my laptop. Hulu is a wonderful thing.....The tv in my rig didn't work. I didn't replace it so the cabinet it was in became storage, with a 110 socket, so I keep laptop and cell chargers there.
I have a self contained toilet/shower. I have used the shower many times while parked in a shopping center. Sometimes I will find a big center, park at the edge with my generator facing away from people so I can run it an hour to charge laptop/ cell phone. (I suppose it might be cheaper to buy a 12V charger for these? Then charge them while I am driving?) While I'm doing that, I can read, take a shower, clean the rig inside, organize, shop for groceries.... Have had no problems. I have a curtain between cab and cabin, That way I have privacy, but without front window curtain, I am not obviously sleeping in it. Also have a full time rear bed, so I can snooze any time if I'm on a long trip. I often drive until midnight(less traffic on the roads at night). Seems easier to boondock in the dark.
Anyway- it's all fun. Every time I think I might want a bigger rig, I just remember that I can parallel park this one!
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Speaking of rare class B vans, we were just in the Grand Canyon, from the 6th to the 8th
of November, and low and behold, we saw a Bigfoot class B. There was a couple driving
it, through the park near the hotels/lodges/railway station. I wanted to ask them where
they were from (I believe it had AZ tags), but they managed to get away from us in the
traffic. Wasn't you, was it?

btw, if you're just charging small stuff like cell phones and laptops, a small inverter like
these will probably do the trick for you. Are there any cigarette lighter outlets in your
entertainment unit, probably mounted on the inside wall somewhere? Just plug one of
these into the cig lighter receptacle and then plug your 110V AC charger plug into it.
That's how we charge our stuff while on the move (or just sitting still).

You can plug them into your dash outlet and charge something while driving, too.
It eliminates running your genset while boondocking, to charge stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0111839_1.jpeg (3.8 KB, 1378 views)
File Type: jpeg 0111851_1.jpeg (4.3 KB, 1378 views)
Old 12-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Hey thanks for the info re inverter/chargers. Best Buy, Radio Shack, here I come.
That was NOT me at the Grand Canyon. I do most of my snowbird time around Parker to Palm Springs,Yucca Valley area. Now I'm intrigued to know there is another Bigfoot B running around. I've never seen another one in person. If you ever see mine, it has a motorcycle rack on the back. ( I got airbags)
I love it when I see other B's and always wave, but....... hardly anyone waves back. ???
Old 12-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I seem to mostly meet other B-ers in rest areas, and truck stops/gas stations. Other Roadtrek
owners seem to want to chat and compare notes. Just a week ago I was out and about in our
neck of the woods, and a couple in a late model 170 pulled in beside us and we talked for a bit.
They were actually looking for a dump station, so I told them of the 2 nearby I knew about, and
suggested as a last resort the Flying J in London, Ontario. I still get people just asking about the
class B RV in general, and if they can have a peek inside. Rarely do I get class C and A people
ever come over to compare notes. Strange?
I see other Roadtreks on the interstates, and quite often they will flash lights, or wave at me,
and I usually flash/wave back. Not so much response with other Bs. No idea why.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I wave at ALL Bs. Yes, they look confused because.... a Bigfoot? Yeah it doesn't seem like As, Bs, and Cs ( not to mention 5th Wheels) recognize each other much, except when you've been in the same park for awhile.
I like to look inside of Class As, they just get more amazing every year. I'm thinking eventually I'll have an old one as a "permanent" camp in AZ, and just drive the B and/or motorcycle back and forth and here and there. In AZ you can find decent 15-20 year old ones for under $15K, same as I paid for my B. When you look at all the space and amenities... a couch? washer and dryer? YAY. Set it up somewhere cheap for 6 months and then $30-50. a month to store it when I go back north. Of course those rental fees will buy a lot of gas... Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Are you serious? $15-20K for a "classic" class A in AZ? Wonder how much it would cost to make
one roadworthy? I'd have to be able to move it legally myself, without relying on a tow.
It doesn't seem like that bad an idea. It would be nice if you could park it somewhere for free
all year round. In fact, it might be cheaper to find someone to keep living in it while you're up
north. Know anyone you can trust, who might split the cost with you?