Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2014 / 2015 Ford Transit Van

Re: the 250 and 350 Ford Transits for Class B manufacturers the GVWR goes up to 10,360 lbs on the S4U and S4X configurations.

The dual sliding doors should allow for additional Class B motor homes with slide outs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 Ford Transit GVWR.jpg (284.2 KB, 2967 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #22
Platinum Member

The more we see of the different vans, the more it looks (to me anyway), that the manufacturers will find a way to suit the bodies to the use. Some folks will like each way it is done, some will not, some will survive as models, some will not. Hopefully, there will be a good spread of B's available across a wide price and amenity range.

Getting back to the Transit, their big advantage, at least until others catch up, may just be the Ecoboost engine. There just doesn't seem to be anything that will be able to compete with it in terms of outright power or in efficiency for a gas engine. Of course, this assumes they design things so it will stay cool in the mountains or towing in the heat (the Chevy's weak spot).

I couldn't find any specs on what the actual power will be when mounted in a van, but many engines lose some power because of the packaging in a van that limits intake and exhaust optimization. The pickup specs I saw listed 365hp and 420ft-lb torque. Those are big numbers compared to everyone else, and it is turbo so it will lose less at altitude. The torque is quite a bit higher than the hp, so it is not a really high rpm engine, more than likely. They are talking 25% better mileage than the current V8 engines, so you might be approaching 20mpg.

Being able to offer an engine like the Ecoboost as an option may sway the manufacturers toward the Transit, even if some other things aren't as desirable, as I think it could be a big selling point to many folks.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Booster, I think the Transit is going to be very desirable for a B because of its size being right in between the old and new Sprinter sizes in length and a tad more width. Being genuine American with the largest dealership and leading truck reputation is not going to hurt in the least. That hurts me to say that. I grew up in a Chevy family. My dad worked his whole career at Chevrolet Truck Manufacturing and I even did a coop college student stint in the plant working in plant engineering. Ford was the hated enemy when I grew up.

On the other hand the front wheel drive much shorter Promaster with the low floor may prove to be not so desirable with the tank capacities we've seen so far and if that is the best they can do with those sizes. The Promaster may have more interest in the DIY B converters who find it easier and cheaper to build and add above the floor anyway.

I don't know much about eco-boost. Exactly what is it? Is it another world for turbo powered? If so, does that mean it will not lose power at high altitude? If so, it will be very popular.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Booster I don't see very much, if any difference coming between the F150 and Transit Ecoboost specs. It might be different if the Transit was Front wheel drive.
Also, if what was posted over on the Transit forum is correct, they are getting $1500.+ for the Ecoboost over the standard V6. If true, that will be a VERY profitable engine option for Ford. Nothing there yet about the diesel option $$$.

DavyDD, I agree, the long & tall Transit will be a direct competitor with your size Sprinter, vs the 24' like we have.

I thought about stopping at our local Ford dealer just for S's & G's the next couple days to see what info is truly out there at this time. Our local Ford is a good sized fleet supplier so they should have the straight dope

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Booster, I think the Transit is going to be very desirable for a B because of its size being right in between the old and new Sprinter sizes in length and a tad more width. Being genuine American with the largest dealership and leading truck reputation is not going to hurt in the least. That hurts me to say that. I grew up in a Chevy family. My dad worked his whole career at Chevrolet Truck Manufacturing and I even did a coop college student stint in the plant working in plant engineering. Ford was the hated enemy when I grew up.

On the other hand the front wheel drive much shorter Promaster with the low floor may prove to be not so desirable with the tank capacities we've seen so far and if that is the best they can do with those sizes. The Promaster may have more interest in the DIY B converters who find it easier and cheaper to build and add above the floor anyway.

I don't know much about eco-boost. Exactly what is it? Is it another world for turbo powered? If so, does that mean it will not lose power at high altitude? If so, it will be very popular.
David I feel the same way about the Ford vs GM thing also after having spent 34 years at GM. I do like the home grown and built, (literally), and the 700+ good jobs it's bringing, and bringing back to the KC area. (insert my happiness about the fact that 30 years ago there was 12k+ auto industry jobs in the KC area, and now slowly building back to that number between GM, Ford & suppliers)

The EcoBoost V6 is a twin turbo all aluminum engine with the latest computer controlled fuel and ignition management. It seems to be a sturdy motor because you never hear much if anything about bad about it. It will be more like a diesel engine in the mountains because it's force fed, hence you won't loose as much power & torque as a standard gasser does. It would be my choice if buying one.

One thing the Ecoboost engines have benefitted from, all of them, is Ford's superior advertising and hype machine. Especially as far as their "superior" fuel mileage claims go...

Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #26
Platinum Member

As was said, turbo charged all aluminum engine. Also is gas direct injection so it can run on lower fuel grade and still have high boost and compression. My understanding is that this was a ground up engine design that was specifically to be boosted, so the guts should be able to handle the power it puts out without issue. In the past, the automakers would just slap a turbo and controls on a regular gas engine that wasn't designed to handle the extra power. Shorter life was almost a given, and they couldn't be run under boost for very long without overheating (like 20 seconds on some, just enough to accelerate up to speed or pass on the highway).
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
As was said, turbo charged all aluminum engine. Also is gas direct injection so it can run on lower fuel grade and still have high boost and compression. My understanding is that this was a ground up engine design that was specifically to be boosted, so the guts should be able to handle the power it puts out without issue. In the past, the automakers would just slap a turbo and controls on a regular gas engine that wasn't designed to handle the extra power. Shorter life was almost a given, and they couldn't be run under boost for very long without overheating (like 20 seconds on some, just enough to accelerate up to speed or pass on the highway).
This is correct booster, ground up design to be turboed. It's a physically small engine too. Ever seen one in the engine bay of an F-150? You have to look closely to see it...

Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #28
Platinum Member

One thing I'm wondering:

In Europe, the Ford Transit isn't often a candidate for an upfit. Most "B"s there are Ducatos (ProMasters), with some Sprinters. I wonder if the RV industry in the US will use ProMasters for the lower end models and Sprinters for their flagship lines, with Transits being left out since they are "neither fish nor fowl". In Europe, a M-B logo isn't a big thing. However, here in the US, it is a definite status symbol (you can say that a Roadtrek RS Adventurous is a $110,000 Mercedes, and get dates at bars that way, although they may not be exactly the type one wants to have a relationship with.)

Van-wise, the Transit is better than the ProMaster for upfitting for reasons mentioned. However, due to marketing, I wonder if we will see it not used that much, other than special order vehicles like Sportsmobile models.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #29
Platinum Member

My local dealer told me that Roadtrek imported a Transit a year or two ago to prepare their models. It is just a matter of time.

Personally, I own a Mercedes car (and have a dealer closeby) but I would much rather have a Ford RV when I am driving to Alaska and wondering how I will get service if I break down.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
One thing I'm wondering:

In Europe, the Ford Transit isn't often a candidate for an upfit. Most "B"s there are Ducatos (ProMasters), with some Sprinters. I wonder if the RV industry in the US will use ProMasters for the lower end models and Sprinters for their flagship lines, with Transits being left out since they are "neither fish nor fowl". In Europe, a M-B logo isn't a big thing. However, here in the US, it is a definite status symbol (you can say that a Roadtrek RS Adventurous is a $110,000 Mercedes, and get dates at bars that way, although they may not be exactly the type one wants to have a relationship with.)

Van-wise, the Transit is better than the ProMaster for upfitting for reasons mentioned. However, due to marketing, I wonder if we will see it not used that much, other than special order vehicles like Sportsmobile models.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but the Europeans do things a bit differently, also. EG cassette toilets. As I mentioned earlier, the wild card may turn out to be EcoBoost engine's huge power advantage. US drivers love horsepower and acceleration, while in Europe they will give it up for economy. Another boost for Ford is that they have survived, and thrived, by themselves, so that has given them a lot of fans in the US (no, this is not a political comment, just an observation).
Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #31
Gold Member

Even though my wife and i have a fun-for-us maxed out full sized Chevy AWD van conversion we are keeping our eyes on the Ford dealership lot here in Astoria (Oregon) and will take a test drive. I am hoping that at some point in the development of the transit that an AWD version is offered. We've spent so much time with AWDs (volvos & our van) on our soggy roads we'd like to keep that as an option. For us it would be another hybrid DIY/Pro build from ground up for my ~60th bday present in 2017
Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #32
Platinum Member

My personal preference for vans would be the Transit. However, I've had Fords going on 20 years, and have been extremely happy with how long they have lasted. I guess I'll wait and see... since I'm already camping with my existing rig (and will be until summer hits due to a renaissance faire I go to on weekends), I'm in no hurry to buy, and I think a Sportsmobile upfit on an EB Transit will be just as good (if not better because a gasoline generator can be used instead of a propane one) , as a Sprinter for my needs, without hurting the wallet too badly, especially if Ford matches FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automotive) with the $5000 upfit incentive.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #33
Platinum Member

I have no idea how Europeans use RVs if the Ducato is more popular. I suspect in North America we are going to expect more especially in capacities that the ProMaster so far is failing to deliver beyond short and weekend outings, IMO. I think too there seems to be a tendency to believe the low end price as in accepting the fact the discounted entry package is normal on a Promaster and the belief a Mercedes Benz is the MSRP fully loaded price. It is constantly been quoted that way on the boards. Who has ever paid $100,000+ for a Winnebago ERA? Look at the basic cargo van and compare the prices between them. I'd be surprised if there is $10,000 difference apples to apples wise. From there you put one pant leg on at a time so to speak. In other words what you convert is pretty much the same. If you are paying less then you are getting less.

I do think the Ford Transit because of its size and design is more capable of hitting the sweet spot in providing the proper balance of amenities and capacities for the most people.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #34
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I have no idea how Europeans use RVs if the Ducato is more popular. I suspect in North America we are going to expect more especially in capacities...
Greetings,
as a ramble on the above...
I have a few long time netQuaintences that live in the UK. In pondering this reply i can think of two examples, one out of England and the other out of Germany both in Ducati based equivalents to our soon to arrive ProMaster 2500.. Their typical mode of travel involves frequent ~2 to 4 day re-stocks on supplies which often include buying from small farmers type markets along the route.

Their builds also incorporate relatively small water tanks that average ~20 gallons of fresh water and the same for gray. Both are using the Thetford C402 UK equivalent cassette toilet system with an extra cassette. The rigs also use ~50 quart 12volt chest refrigerators and ~120 to 150 watts of roof solar and two sealed AGM batteries with about ~150ah in battery bank.

The layouts are simple DIY builds to what the original WESTY style VW busses included such as a solid high top, a folding rear couch/bed, side closet, front bath-closet, and cooking primarily in a small kitchen cabinet with portable canister stove. The kitchen items are also removable and can be used outside on a portable folding table if desired, typically set up under a side-attached awning.

What i gathered from my research on UK RV design was a paradigm shift in what _caravaning_ could be (or was for some). A simpler more basic style of rigs that still had all the amenities of home, but in many cases/designs which included an out-of-the-box mode of thinking & solutions.

Flash back to my research which began in 2005 when i first came across expeditionportal forum and various rigs similar to those i mention above, and believing i could do a similar "Light Overland" style build based on a full sized american van. Fast forward to the fall of 2010 when i purchased our 1/2 ton Chevy AWD van. Which is similar in size (~regular wheel base and ~9 to 10 feet behind cockpit~) to what i was seeing in the small UK style rigs.

We set out, and succeeded in creating a similar rig. We have gone out for as long as 10 days between restocking and were completely off grid. Packing out all trash/waste upon breaking camp. It can be done. Though i would say that it is a different style of camping than the often-preferred US plug-in and have all-the-luxury-appointments. But for some, the simple style of get-away works (and again, this is what i was sensing as an alternate way of getting out on adventures from my UK research). We run with ~30 gallons of fresh and gray tank capacity. We can take daily hot showers and come home with water still in the fresh tank. When not cooking on our Rocket stove or dutch oven outside we utilize commercial-restaurant quality single burner 1200btu butane stove and SS-ceramic cookware. Since we live and adventure in the Pacific Northwest we have only run into two trips in the past three seasons that we needed to break out the small butane ceramic heater to take the chill off the morning or evening air. And use no Air Conditioning (Ah life in the soggy PNW has it's advantages...mild temps from ~April through October).

As a closing comment...i will admit there is like very little market for what i have described above from a mass-production standpoint. I doubt any respectable firm would embark on such a simplistic build for the typical US consumerism-lifestyle. And that is where firms such as Sportsmobile can fill the gap and the DIY gang can go if not desireing to do the work themselves (or a combination of DIY & Pro finish like my wife and i did). And back into context on the Ford Transit...I think that Sportsmobile will sell lots of conversions based on this due to the possibility that they will be able to do Ford-Factory approved 4x4 conversions for the more radical gang (that i hang out with daily at Expo.)

Happy trails,
Thom
Old 01-31-2014, 01:04 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Accrete, just letting you know, that is one good looking Chevy van!

Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Accrete, You describe a style of B vanning that is somewhat different than what we do. It is akin to our short periodic throughout the summer forays up to northern Minnesota and Wisconsin mostly in the national forests. You don't completely knock out 40 years of tent camping mentality moving to a B. I also think European's don't, well can't in England, travel very far for too long as a practice. There are different styles and I suspect the ProMaster might fit that style better but I question the ruggedness factor many desire in that kind of B vanning, i.e. those jacked up Sportsmobile 4x4 Econoline Bs, with that low floor and front wheel drive. Maybe the Ford Transit will have a good substitute.

However, in a month we are going to set out on a 3 month tour covering 6,000 plus miles. That's pretty much what we do spring and fall. Having a lack of capacities and facilities over that period of time can wear on you though I know friends who do that seemingly with no problem in Sportsmobiles. I guess it is all in what we get used to. But having made the leap from tent to a generally fully decked out B I no longer have any interest whatsoever of compromise. That's what the ProMaster would be no matter how clever a converter comes up with a design. I have enough experience with the T1N Sprinter previously to know the Ford Transit could satisfy my desires. If we ever get another B my interest is combining the two styles of B vanning and having more dry camping capability. We have dry camped up to 5 days straight in one spot thrice and our one trip through California we dry camped 14 of 15 days moving around. Surprisingly our two month trip up the Alaska Highway to Alaska was not that rugged. Electrical hookups, water and sewer were rather frequent and often the only choice. It made that trip quite civil.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #37
Gold Member

Greetings,

Hey thanks for the van-Kudos Bob . . . it being my wife's DD is a sure way to win brownie points with her.

David, thx for the thoughtful reply. I think you are on target with your opinion on how the PMs will turn out in practical terms and its level of "ruggedness". Doing the math on the PM from their website i see that even the 3500 PM would be maxed out with about 5K up-fit including passengers, full-tanks, etc. And the idea of a fully loaded PM trying to pull even our little great-room-on-wheels fiberglass trailer is stretching things IMO. I've mentioned our 5.3L v8 equipped chevy 1/2 ton van can accelerate to 70 to pass going uphill. Something in me says a v6 gasser or diesel would be a step backwards(?)

Your 3 month long adventures sure sound fun. I've enjoyed my short time on this forum. It will be fun to follow the various builds/rigs of members over the years and see how new technology adds to our adventures.
At some point we plan on being full time in our class B (whatever that is!) and our fg TT in tow.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Accrete, the jury is out on the PM with a diesel as they haven't built any yet. We can say that we are getting the biggest, most hp & torque diesel that is being used in that chassis worldwide. We'll just have to see.
Getting back to the Transit subject, there won't be any comparison between the Transit 5cyl and the PM 4cyl diesels. The Transit should be just slightly behind, if not equal to the Sprinter V6 in power and acceleration albeit with a 6spd auto vs a 5spd in the Sprinter, which should be a + in the Transit

Old 03-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #39
dan

Hello,

Great forum and members contribution here +++++...I'm really glad I found it.

Question: is there a mpg comparison between the Sprinter, the GM/Fiat and the new Ford Transit euro chasis/engines? what would be the most efficient RV from that prespective? I also want to add that with the Euro-Canada trade deal signed now VW campers might actually come back to North American RV market in the next 3-5 years, so I there might be other players joining in...
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2014 Ford Transit Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
and photos of the largest 2014 Ford Transit Van

Look at the picture fast and you see a SPRINTER but a prettier one,eh?
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote