Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2023, 05:49 PM   #1

Default 1988 Chevy Coachmen - Greenbriar

I love my rustic 1988 camper van, but it is getting harder and harder to find parts.

I am looking for a Hood release cable GM part number 14048590 - (fits 4 Chevy models '85 - '96; also GMC vans same years)

I may have found a van in a "pull-your-own-parts" salvage yard but haven't made the trip over there yet. The guy there hasn't responded yet to let me know if the cable is still in the van.

Will likely have to "MacGyver" an outside release, hidden in the front grill, until I can find the correct cable.

Anyway, thank you for listening !!

June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 10:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

June if you can find an old time motorcycle shop, they have the stuff to make cables with a variety of ends and fittings to a custom length ( y'know clutch and brake and throttle cables and such ).

If the outside of your cable is in good shape it is super simple to thread a new piece of wire down the center and put ends on ( some ends can be sourced at an ace hardware- ).

I fixed my parking brake cable with a bass string ( cause I had one- it's been there longer than the factory cable lasted.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:29 AM   #3

That's a great idea as well !!! My brother is helping me out with this - I'm sure he would love to donate one of his bass guitar strings, lol.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:44 PM   #4

HUZZAH !!!!!

I was able to score a cable from the salvage yard !!! This 67 yo lady feeling kinda proud cuz I was able to pull it myself I decided to take the latch as well since it shows less wear than mine.....
Old 09-04-2023, 12:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Dorman makes a universal hood release kit, part number 03323. It's 94 inches long and has several different handle styles with it. I never used one, so I can't say how well or easy it works. Around $20. Maybe this will work.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote