Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2020 Roadtrek warranty issues???

WARNING: This is a long post.

Anyone having issues on the “TWO YEAR WARRANTY” on a Roadtrek (after the new French company, Rapido, took over)?

I bought a brand new 2020 Roadtrek SS Agile around November 2021 from a “National RV Chain” with like 10 RV dealerships across the southern states. . This was under the new French company, Rapido. Therefore it was offered with a TWO year warranty instead of the prior SIX years warranty with the previous bankrupt “Roadtrek” company.

At delivery, there were items that were “minor” and I was “promised” the RV dealer will take care of it AFTER delivery. I WAS SO WRONG!!

Granted, none were critical that will leave me stranded middle of nowhere, but considering the amount paid I would expect the RV dealer to keep their promise.

Anyway, I brought the unit back soon after delivery and left the unit with them for over a couple of months and they said “all fixed”. I travel a lot so I made a special trip by flying in to pick up the unit only to discover the majority of the items were not fixed!!! They promised AGAIN, if I bring it back later they will “fix it”. I was on a tight schedule so I took off with my “new RV”. Fast forward about half a year later, I drove long distance to that RV dealer AGAIN where I bought it and dropped it off. A couple of months later I got the call that “all fixed”. So I flew in AGAIN to pick it up. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!! Only some of the items were fixed!! The items that needed parts (I was told) were waiting on Roadtrek to ship to them. AGAIN, I was on a tight schedule so I took off with my “new RV” AGAIN.

THEN I called “Roadtrek” FOR THE FIRST TIME asking if and when they are going to ship the parts??? I was SHOCKED to find out that Roadtrek HQ NEVER got a request for ANYTHING on my unit. This is confirmed by VIN#’s. NADA, as in NOTHING!!

So I called the RV dealer and asked what is going on? Now they say the original “service adviser” no longer worked there and I am welcome to bring the unit back in to get it fixed. I confirmed with the RV dealer that my unit is still under the original TWO YEAR WARRANTY (and with ROADTREK too). So I made ANOTHER road trip with my “Roadtrek” (HAHA). These “road trips” are some 1800 miles EACH WAY!! I did call Roadtrek HQ and they told me “some of the Roadtrek authorized RV dealers are not willing to work on units that the customers bought elsewhere”. SAY WHAT!!

So I made another “road trip” with my “Roadtrek” to THE RV dealer for some 1800 miles !!! Essentially for the same issues. They wrote down each issues and typed it all up in a very “thick” almost cardboard paper stock (which must have cost a fortune). I was so upset that I was speechless when I was presented with “authorization for estimated repairs” that was almost $2200!! (Mostly for “labor”. I think only like $65 was for “parts”). I asked them all these are under warranty so why I will owe you some $2200? The service person said it’s for “diagnostic” IF ROADTREK DOES NOT PAY US. So I asked them: “If Roadtrek says to you (RV dealer), we are not paying you because we don’t think these are under warranty, then I owe you some $2200? This $2200 does NOT even “fix anything” AND the $2200 is just for “labor/diagnostics”? The RV dealer said “YES” AND IF YOU WANT ACTUAL REPAIRS, THEN THERE WILL BE ADDITIONAL CHARGES FOR “LABOR”. WTF!!!

At that point I figured I would asked for the service manager in charge. It was TOTALLY USELESS…. The service manager acted like he was doing me a favor by giving me a 50% discount for around $1100 or so!!

I asked the service manager: “ALL OF THE ITEMS ARE VISUAL “. Meaning even a 12 year old can look at it and tell “VISUALLY “ that it is defective. There is NOTHING to diagnose!! The only exception is the lithium ion batteries will not charge. I told them I’ve already called Roadtrek HQ and they told me what the problem most likely is!! That is the “AGM battery” that controls the lithium ion batteries is not holding charge. When this happens you will have to plug into shoreline for at least a few hours to bring the lithium ion batteries back online. Even then as you use the lithium ion batteries eventually the system will shut down again because the AGM battery that is controlling the lithium ion batteries will “die” and the system goes OFFLINE.

Sure enough that is what happens even as drove for miles and miles….. the UHG DID NOT charge the lithium ion batteries. Only will charge if I plug into shoreline again.

To summarize…… the RV dealer where I bought the unit from wanted to charge me for 10 hours of “labor” at $199 per hour!!

I did not have a chance to talk with Roadtrek yet since my last contact with the RV dealer. I only got voicemail recording. I guess I will try again today.

Anyone has bad experiences with Roadtrek or any other RV manufacturers or RV dealers?

Incidentally, on my prior visits for warranty work to the SAME RV dealer (which they didn’t do much anyway), they did not charge me anything. Now they wanted to. I guess RV sales are down and they needed to make money somehow somewhere??? IDK. I would not expect “charges” if I bring in my Lexus or Benz for original manufacture warranty work. I mean if it’s something I did that caused the damage then of course it’s my fault. For example if there is broken headlights. But this was not the case.

Is this UNIQUE to Roadtrek?? I’ve had TWO RV’s before. One was a Fleetwood and the other was a Jayco. Both were class C’s bought brand new and NEVER was I treated like this!! The two class C’s combined DID NOT COST AS MUCH AS THE ROADTREK (Ok, these were BEFORE COVID), but still it’s very upsetting!!
RVclassB4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The story of a family business which took on "investors" to expand, lost control of the company and then the unending swirl of corporate entities looting of the assets.

(same story with Famous Amos cookies)

Sorry you got taken
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 11:16 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
The story of a family business which took on "investors" to expand, lost control of the company and then the unending swirl of corporate entities looting of the assets.

(same story with Famous Amos cookies)

Sorry you got taken
The following are my personal opinions:

My opinion is that La Mesa RV dealers are either not getting paid or got paid very little by Roadtrek or maybe they got burned by the previous (now bankrupt) Roadtrek company?? IDK?

Again, it’s my opinion that charging some “$2100” for “diagnostics” for defects in the “house/coach” section of the Roadtrek RV that are “visual defects” that even a 12 year old can tell that there are delaminations (splitting) of the RV cabinet walls and outside bay windows that don’t close flush (with something like a 5 mm unevenness) are examples. There is NOTHING to diagnose—— THESE ARE DEFECTS. At delivery, the La Mesa dealer promised to fix it AFTER delivery. I guess I learned a lesson!!

Again, in my opinion, La Mesa RV wanted to charge me some $2100 (at $199 per hour X some 10 hours) is EXCESSIVE especially most of the defects are readily evident “VISUALLY”.

Again, it’s my option that La Mesa RV did not step up to the plate and take care of its customers because I asked them what exactly am I signing on the “quote repair estimate “? They said IF ROADTREK DOES NOT PAY YOU PAY!! I asked them point blank you are suppose to call me if I want to go ahead with the “non covered repairs “????? If you called me up and I said NO, I DO NOT WANT THE REPAIRS….. Do I still owe you “$2100”?? To my surprise, La Mesa RV said YES because “We have to charge someone, YOU”. Please keep in mind the $2100 is ONLY FOR FILING THE CLAIM WITH RT HQ FOR WARRANTY WORK and DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY ACTUAL REPAIRS!!! Actually repairs (if I tell La Mesa to go ahead) will be on top of the $2100!!!

Again, in my opinion, charging $2100 for mostly “visual” defects that are very evident visually is absurd (Especially for “diagnostics” and no repairs.).

Roadtrek HQ is no help. I called Roadtrek HQ and asked them. RT HQ said they have no control over La Mesa RV dealerships. I gave them an example: When I took delivery of the RV UNIT, the parking sensors did not work. La Mesa told me to go to the Sprinter/Mercedes dealer and I did!!! It’s under OEM warranty, right??? I was greeted and treated very nicely and they figured out quickly that it was just a cable hardness that got undone during the “uplifting process by RT or somewhere along the way at La Mesa RV dealer. Sprinter dealership took care of me and at no charge and apologized for the inconvenience. So I asked RT HQ why this does not work similarly at La Mesa RV Dealer? RT HQ said they don’t “own La Mesa RV dealers”. To which I can draw the same conclusion that Mercedes/Sprinter of North America does not own each Mercedes/Sprinter dealership. They are franchises of sorts and each Mercedes /Sprinter dealer is independently owned (not owned by Mercedes/Sprinter). I’ve never had something like this ever before with ANY vehicles I bought foreign or domestic (with warranty work)……. If “not covered” by warranty then the car dealerships will tell me and ask me if I wanted to proceed with repairs and if I say no, then the car dealer will just give my car back and I don’t owe anything.

Also this was not the first time for some of the same issues…… my last two times bringing the RV to La Mesa for some of the same issues…. They did not fix them claiming they needed to order parts. Later I called RT HQ about “parts” arrival….. they said there is no record of any orders on any parts for my unit with that VIN#!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Sorry about the long story.

Got nowhere with RT HQ. RT HQ just told me to go to “any of the RT authorized dealers”!!! That’s just not good customer service. I told them this will be THE ONLY TIME I BOUGHT SOMETHING FROM RAT TREK!!!
RVclassB4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 11:02 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVclassB4me View Post
The following are my personal opinions:

My opinion is that La Mesa RV dealers are either not getting paid or got paid very little by Roadtrek or maybe they got burned by the previous (now bankrupt) Roadtrek company?? IDK?

Again, it’s my opinion that charging some “$2100” for “diagnostics” for defects in the “house/coach” section of the Roadtrek RV that are “visual defects” that even a 12 year old can tell that there are delaminations (splitting) of the RV cabinet walls and outside bay windows that don’t close flush (with something like a 5 mm unevenness) are examples. There is NOTHING to diagnose—— THESE ARE DEFECTS. At delivery, the La Mesa dealer promised to fix it AFTER delivery. I guess I learned a lesson!!

Again, in my opinion, La Mesa RV wanted to charge me some $2100 (at $199 per hour X some 10 hours) is EXCESSIVE especially most of the defects are readily evident “VISUALLY”.

Again, it’s my option that La Mesa RV did not step up to the plate and take care of its customers because I asked them what exactly am I signing on the “quote repair estimate “? They said IF ROADTREK DOES NOT PAY YOU PAY!! I asked them point blank you are suppose to call me if I want to go ahead with the “non covered repairs “????? If you called me up and I said NO, I DO NOT WANT THE REPAIRS….. Do I still owe you “$2100”?? To my surprise, La Mesa RV said YES because “We have to charge someone, YOU”. Please keep in mind the $2100 is ONLY FOR FILING THE CLAIM WITH RT HQ FOR WARRANTY WORK and DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY ACTUAL REPAIRS!!! Actually repairs (if I tell La Mesa to go ahead) will be on top of the $2100!!!

Again, in my opinion, charging $2100 for mostly “visual” defects that are very evident visually is absurd (Especially for “diagnostics” and no repairs.).

Roadtrek HQ is no help. I called Roadtrek HQ and asked them. RT HQ said they have no control over La Mesa RV dealerships. I gave them an example: When I took delivery of the RV UNIT, the parking sensors did not work. La Mesa told me to go to the Sprinter/Mercedes dealer and I did!!! It’s under OEM warranty, right??? I was greeted and treated very nicely and they figured out quickly that it was just a cable hardness that got undone during the “uplifting process by RT or somewhere along the way at La Mesa RV dealer. Sprinter dealership took care of me and at no charge and apologized for the inconvenience. So I asked RT HQ why this does not work similarly at La Mesa RV Dealer? RT HQ said they don’t “own La Mesa RV dealers”. To which I can draw the same conclusion that Mercedes/Sprinter of North America does not own each Mercedes/Sprinter dealership. They are franchises of sorts and each Mercedes /Sprinter dealer is independently owned (not owned by Mercedes/Sprinter). I’ve never had something like this ever before with ANY vehicles I bought foreign or domestic (with warranty work)……. If “not covered” by warranty then the car dealerships will tell me and ask me if I wanted to proceed with repairs and if I say no, then the car dealer will just give my car back and I don’t owe anything.

Also this was not the first time for some of the same issues…… my last two times bringing the RV to La Mesa for some of the same issues…. They did not fix them claiming they needed to order parts. Later I called RT HQ about “parts” arrival….. they said there is no record of any orders on any parts for my unit with that VIN#!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Sorry about the long story.

Got nowhere with RT HQ. RT HQ just told me to go to “any of the RT authorized dealers”!!! That’s just not good customer service. I told them this will be THE ONLY TIME I BOUGHT SOMETHING FROM RAT TREK!!!
Sorry to hear about your plight. Appreciate you telling about your experience. Here I thought Rapido was trying to change the reputation and name of the new Roadtrek image. Most manufacturers really do not honor warranties like before. Maybe a money issue? Seems like the cost of these vans are so high, they would do OK?
Old 08-15-2023, 12:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

What a sad and unfortunate story. What is also sad is that I am not surprised at your problems. It seems that too often RV dealers sell sizzle and then don't want to deal with the tough steak in the customer's plate.

This was not always the case. As Mike indicated above in his post, the consolidation of the industry and family companies going out of business or selling out to some big group of "investors" has often led to serious problems. Now, the bloom is off of sales and so, I am sure, profits are suffering. Long term customer relationships just don't seem to have much importance in today's society.

Take a look at this: https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/j...-now-available

When we bought our 2007 RT 210P new ordered from the factory, the nearest dealer was 230 miles from our home. The RT factory gave us the name of an independent RV service firm about fifteen miles away that they authorized to perform warranty work. Now, that was service. The RT, incidentally, still resides in the garage we brought it home to and has had few problems in those 15 years.

Today, as Mike wrote, a different ball game. How sad.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Sorry to hear about your plight. Appreciate you telling about your experience. Here I thought Rapido was trying to change the reputation and name of the new Roadtrek image. Most manufacturers really do not honor warranties like before. Maybe a money issue? Seems like the cost of these vans are so high, they would do OK?
I am on Facebook pages for Roadtrek products since before Rapido took over. Their warranty coverage has been very good. Very few complaints. (In fact, the head of warranty and service visits our page regularly to help trouble shoot.) The issue here is 100% due to

La Mesa

They are horrid for any kind of service and have been for the last 6 years. It has nothing to do with either Roadtrek ownership. I would say that 90% of those that buy from them end up with miserable stories about shoddy work... misleading analysis... over billing... keeping the rig for months at a time. (not one of my rigs has ever had to stay even overnight at my dealer... timely appointments and fast efficient work)

You need to get all this situation documented (with dates) and call Roadtrek asking for Sean Heinz. Also email him a copy of your report... the address is on their website. Be sure to include your Vin # and his name on the subject line. He has a pretty good track record of whipping the dealers into line. The complaints about La Mesa are endless.. almost every branch... especially the California branches.

If this all ends up looking like you will have to pay for anything, I recommend that you skip La Mesa and go to Edge Vanworks near San Francisco. They understand and can fix the complicated Roadtrek electrical system. And they won't feed you a line of bull... and you will get what you pay for...

https://edgevanworks.com/

Here might be another issue. Since it is a 2020, I suspect that this rig was started and was on the line when Hymer/Thor assassinated Roadtrek. (if you go to the website, there are no brochures for any 2020 rigs) The van may also be one of the units that La Mesa snatched up in the fire sale even before Rapido had fully taken over and started up production. Rapido held off making any Agiles for the first year or so. It may have landed in the warranty no-man's land and La Mesa may very well have mislead you about it getting a 2 year warranty. I had a 2019 Simplicity and Rapido did give us a max of $1500 coverage... which was a PR move as they didn't have to give us anything. I only used part of it to cover the labor on my bad UHG that it came with. This is something to bring up with Sean as your vin# may answer this question.

I am confident that the issue here is La Mesa, not Rapido...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:03 PM   #7

Based on my experience with La Mesa I suggest taking the RV to another shop and paying for the repairs,you will likely save money and aggravation by doing so. Even if you were to threaten legal action and get them to do the work the repairs would probably be so shoddy you'd have to have it redone anyway.
Moto vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 08:46 PM   #8

Default Edgeworks

Mumkin, I looked at Edgeworks' website and they seem to be saying they are Promaster experts. No mention of Sprinters or other. Is that your experience? I have a Sprinter Roadtrek in California and am still on the hunt for a good repair/upgrade shop. I know a great mobile guy, but he is mostly repairs and is tough to schedule sometimes. Thanks.
GregCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:31 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
Mumkin, I looked at Edgeworks' website and they seem to be saying they are Promaster experts. No mention of Sprinters or other. Is that your experience? I have a Sprinter Roadtrek in California and am still on the hunt for a good repair/upgrade shop. I know a great mobile guy, but he is mostly repairs and is tough to schedule sometimes. Thanks.
I only know the owner, Gordon, from the Promaster pages on FB where he was a member originally working with the issues of the Hymer Aktiv group who ended up orphans when Hymer/Thor blew up Roadtrek. As to whether they do any work on the RT Sprinters, you should probably call and ask. It may depend on what you need...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 03:31 PM   #10

So sorry for your problems. The old Roadtrek group were always helpful and efficient. I think a lot of partially constructed vans were sold off to dealers who don’t know how to service them.
Hope Mumkin’s advice leads to successful resolution.
Mosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

If you want something done right, do it yourself. If I couldn't work on my van myself and fix most everything, I simply wouldn't own one. Look at your story - it's obviously not worth the misery.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:23 AM   #12

Similar issues with LaMesa in Tucson. We purchased from them a 1 year old 2021 Regency Ultra Brougham 25ft Class B+ on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis. They told us it had solar - all it had was an installed controller. (We should have asked LaMesa to provide a ladder so I could check out the roof). AC/DC house wiring all messed up. Bad Renogy inverter. We were in the mountains and took it to an RV Repair shop in Show Low, AZ. Regency wouldn't answer their calls, or ours either. Only communicated by email. After four months we paid for the new inverter because we had to leave. Regency wouldn't honor the inverter warranty until they were reimbursed by Renogy. We finally got a refund 3 months later. I could go on and on about Regency design issues that are just plain dumb. Don't even think of buying a Regency.
Siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:25 AM   #13

The Mercedes Sprinter maintenance facility in Tucson is the best. They talk to you, explain things, and provide advice over the phone.
Siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 02:19 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

As others have suggested LaMesa is the problem. They have been the subject of numerous service complaints for years, as far back as i can remember. I've been around for a while. They're a hard pass for anything in my books.