Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 AM   #1

Default Removing microwave - Roadtrek Zion

Hey - I just bought my first class b! A 2016 Roadtrek Zion.

Thank you to everyone in this forum. Your many posts helped me figure out what to look for and be careful to avoid.

I was hoping for some advice. I'm trying to remove the microwave to make room for storage. I haven't used a microwave once in the last three years and so far I'm not using it in my RT either.

I can't figure out how to pull this thing out. I removed the screws holding the stainless backsplash onto the panel below it but that didn't seem to get me closer.

What am I missing? Has anyone figured this out?

Thanks!IMG_1174.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
javatoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:51 AM   #2
Silver Member

I also have (had) a Danby microwave installed in my 2017 Hymer Aktiv until a few days ago. There were two screws holding in the fromt feet, amd then it was a bit of wiggling to get the microwave to unseat itself where the rubber feet were sticking (no glue) to the cabinet. I then had to gently lift just the fromt feet of the microwave to get it to budge and then it was a wiggle it out maneuver. There was a large rubber piece also screwed into the top of the cabinet that was keeping it from vibrating. Try checking between the top of the microwave and cabinet with a piece of paper to see if it is there. Hope this helps.
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to jvangurp

2004 190P here - we also find the microwave useless. It's not even good for storage, so I'm going to pull it and rework the cabinet so it's not quite as low. It seems more useful for regular kitchen storage.
jvangurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum javatoast!

We rarely use our microwave, but it comes in handy for making instant coffee (heating water), warming food, etc. In warm weather, the stove top makes too much heat in a small class b, so we avoid using it. Plus, my wife would never allow me to remove the microwave.

Might I suggest you take a trip and see if you really need the extra space. We recently made our first long trip and found we packed more than we needed and still had a little room to spare. Plus, after being gone 13 days, we unloaded several boxes of unused dry/canned people food and dog food for our 70lb. standard poodle. That does not include a good amount of things we took but never used.

Enjoy your travels!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to jvangurp

Too late! lol I pulled it this afternoon and am already at my table saw making parts to fill it in as a little cubby space. Besides not seeing a need for it, I find both my wife and I were ducking our heads to try to see the counter below, being the main food prep and dishwashing area. We seldom even use the microwave at home.

I appreciate that advice to check out how much space we feel might actually be necessary and desired. While we are real novices, we have done a couple of trips. Last week's was 3 nights. Wonder Wife is pretty confident this is the right thing for us so I'm on it!

A couple of photos
jvangurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvangurp View Post
Too late! lol I pulled it this afternoon and am already at my table saw making parts to fill it in as a little cubby space. Besides not seeing a need for it, I find both my wife and I were ducking our heads to try to see the counter below, being the main food prep and dishwashing area. We seldom even use the microwave at home.

I appreciate that advice to check out how much space we feel might actually be necessary and desired. While we are real novices, we have done a couple of trips. Last week's was 3 nights. Wonder Wife is pretty confident this is the right thing for us so I'm on it!

A couple of photos
Hey, it's your van. Set it up like you want it.

I can see where being over the counter top (like javatoast's), something as bulky as a microwave could crowd your view. In our case, the microwave was in a cabinet above the fridge on the opposite side. So not in the way like yours.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote