Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Did not take the time to research the laws of every state, but Googling the safety question about traveling with propane on, one thing that does pop up is a statement to the effect "Generally, it is legal to travel while using propane, but keep in mind that it is illegal to have any open flames while near a service station fuel pump."

Further noted is that don't just turn off the propane valve at the service station, also turn off the appliance so any auto igniter is off, too.

And double-check the regulations on any tunnels you may go through. On the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, propane must be turned off - the toll attendant will ask and the police there are known to do inspections. All propane tanks - except for the little portable cylinders - are prohibited from all the Baltimore tunnels. You need to take the Francis Scott Key Bridge.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #22
Bronze Member

I am about to copy Eric's baffle, (it would have been nice if he had provided a copy of a template to print out), and the Wife asks, "Aren't you concerned that enclosing that area will cause heat to build up and start a fire?". Obviously it's been installed and proven to work but . . . . there are vents below and above on the Travato for air flow. Are we really feeling good about blocking this off?
O'Fallon, MO
RTVATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

BobB, we don't have to worry too much about the propane regulations in the northeast because we won't ever be driving that way. Several reasons...

RTVATO, if the vents are open and functional, I wouldn't be concerned. Besides, if it's a worry, you can always install extra vent fans back there. I did. It will help with the cooling anyway if you do

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVATO View Post
I am about to copy Eric's baffle, (it would have been nice if he had provided a copy of a template to print out), and the Wife asks, "Aren't you concerned that enclosing that area will cause heat to build up and start a fire?". Obviously it's been installed and proven to work but . . . . there are vents below and above on the Travato for air flow. Are we really feeling good about blocking this off?
The baffle is nothing more than an 8"x10" piece of thin metal. After you've acquired that, just hold it in place an you will see where it needs to be notched to clear the gas lines. Just keep snipping away until it will clear and the spring tension of the metal holds itself in place.

The baffle doesn't prevent any air flow in or out of the vents. What it does is prevent a blast of air from blowing out the flame, provided the flame is large enough.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
BobB, we don't have to worry too much about the propane regulations in the northeast because we won't ever be driving that way. Several reasons...
I understand. I try to stay away from the Northeast 95 corridor, but there are some great CGs on this coast!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #26
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
The baffle is nothing more than an 8"x10" piece of thin metal. After you've acquired that, just hold it in place an you will see where it needs to be notched to clear the gas lines. Just keep snipping away until it will clear and the spring tension of the metal holds itself in place.

The baffle doesn't prevent any air flow in or out of the vents. What it does is prevent a blast of air from blowing out the flame, provided the flame is large enough.
I was just kidding about the template, your pics were enough. Thanks for your thoughts on the heat issue, that should be enough for my xyl. Metal purchased, ready for next trip to the van.

I'll try to remember the 95 corridor issues. I'm going to a wedding in Rhode Island in October and will take the Travato to travel around and enjoy the fall colors, if there are any left when I get there.
O'Fallon, MO
Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVATO View Post

I'll try to remember the 95 corridor issues. I'm going to a wedding in Rhode Island in October and will take the Travato to travel around and enjoy the fall colors, if there are any left when I get there.
Found this Woodalls summary of driving laws that addresses the propane issue for RVs. For the states I am familiar with, it is accurate. Only 2011; could not find an updated one.

2011 Driving Laws for the US and Canada
Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Okay, now I'm baffled! That sounds bad. Uh. Change that. Since I was already playing with sheet metal putting the finishing touches on my seat brace on the water tank and protecting the tank from the metal tubing of the brace I went ahead and copied Eric's baffle. The preliminary test for 2 hours on a windy highway with the fridge flame burning the whole time made me happy. Good so far. Thanks Eric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baffle.JPG (96.5 KB, 17 views)
O'Fallon, MO
Old 09-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #29

An interesting note: we were parked somewhere and I left the fridge on propane by accident when we got back on the road. We stopped a while later and found the fridge was still lit. We had been blowing down the highway at 70MPH. I haven't (yet) added a baffle.
ds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #30
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds10 View Post
An interesting note: we were parked somewhere and I left the fridge on propane by accident when we got back on the road. We stopped a while later and found the fridge was still lit. We had been blowing down the highway at 70MPH. I haven't (yet) added a baffle.
With luck, you won't need it. In my case the first time I ran on the highway with the fridge on propane the flame blew out.
O'Fallon, MO
Old 05-12-2016, 03:32 AM   #31

Good idea, sounds like its also worth a try, thanks.
heatlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I reported earlier that the refrigerator in my 59g would not stay lit while traveling down the road. So here is a baffle I built.

I started with a piece of galvanized step-flashing from HD. It's 8"x12" to begin. I snipped it to 8"x10" and snipped a slot in it to clear some tubes. Took it for a ride and so far so good. Monday I'm leaving for a two-hour tour and we'll see for sure.

Before

The baffle. I rounded the corners so it wouldn't be as sharp.

Installed

I know this has been discussed but I am just trying to clarify...
Are you using the propane while driving to save your battery? I thought the battery would stay charged while driving even if using it for the fridge.
I have been using the propane and the flame has been blowing out in the high Texas winds. I plan to switch to 12 volt DC today after reading here that it is possible (and safer?)
(I will be traveling today so will not be able to read responses, just in case) Thanks
dansingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansingh View Post
I know this has been discussed but I am just trying to clarify...
Are you using the propane while driving to save your battery? I thought the battery would stay charged while driving even if using it for the fridge.
I have been using the propane and the flame has been blowing out in the high Texas winds. I plan to switch to 12 volt DC today after reading here that it is possible (and safer?)
(I will be traveling today so will not be able to read responses, just in case) Thanks
I was doing this (using the propane while traveling) because my old Class C would only operate like that, no 12v heating and it was a habit, and because you only need to forget to turn off the 12v once to convince you never to use it again. I don't consider it dangerous but others disagree and that's a different topic.

I've since done this

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...gain-5596.html

and use the 12v while traveling exclusively.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Thanks for the post and pictures. I am definitely going to do this on my RoadTrek before we leave for the Southwest after Christmas.
JohnnyFry is online now   Reply With Quote