Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #1

Default Soon-to-be 2016 ERA 70X owners

Hello everyone. We are first time RVers, about to pick up our 2016 ERA tomorrow. Here are some questions I have for the RV Tech. Some are very specific to our unit (Feel free to ignore those). Anything you would add before we drive off the lot?

RV Questions during walk-through:

1. Has cabinet behind driver been installed?
2. How to check for roof/window leaks?
3. Are carpets for cab included?
4. Check Satellite operation
5. Check Lane monitor/collision avoidance operation
6. Awning operation (sliding door open/closed)
7. How critical are leveling blocks?
8. Refrigerator operation (3 way, when to use one over the other)
9. Microwave operation (generator/shore power)
10. How to get more propane?
11. Water heater operation/pilot light
12. Water pump operation?
13. Generator operation/use
14. How to run A/C without generator (30 Amp shore power/while driving?)
15. Is shower drain gravity fed?
16. How/when to use Water pump?
17. Alarm system?
18. Diesel Exhaust Fill (how often?)
19. How to charge coach batteries (while driving?)
20. How to drain hot water heater
21. How to drain fresh water tank
22. How to drain black water and grey water tanks
23. How to use shore power (what does it power, AC, microwave, reffer?)
24. Black water hose storage
25. Toilet maintenance supplies
26. Where are batteries located?
27. Engine/undercarriage inspection (look for leaks)
28. Diesel engine maintenance intervals
29. Break-in period?
30. Tire pressure monitors (need for metal valve stems?)
31. Mountain driving (altitude)/brake wear/downshifting

Best, Mike
www.era70x.com
cameronpatentlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Good questions

I'd add - Where's the coach battery shutoff or disconnect?

When you're not plugged in and not using the coach you use that switch to disconnect the coach (house) batteries so they don't get discharged by things like the propane gas detector.

You'll be able to get lots of help here too.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the Winnebago family. Read your blog posts. I think your dealer will cover all of this list on your PDI.

I'd be most concerned about your dealer installed king dome. Get up there and check they did a proper install with the proper sealant neatly installed.

Can't say I'd recommend McClain's as a dealer, but maybe you'll get better treatment dealing with the owner.

But not to worry, B vans have a good track record. You'll find few complaints about the Era.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #4
Platinum Member

i looked at the specs. the only way to run the overhead air conditioner is the generator or shore power. its 120 volt and you have no inverter for it. also it lists one battery standard-did you get the optional second one.

it lists a macerator for dumping. you need to find out what to do if macerator does not work
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 AM   #5

Thank you all for the helpful feedback and the cordial welcome to the "club". I have added these additional questions to my list. Wincrasher, I too was skeptical of McClains--they initially lost credibility with me back in April when a sales guy there offered me a 2015 hail damaged unit in OKC for their "bottom dollar price" of 10% below MSRP. By that point, I had a great price on a new unit (without the pock mark "features") in my back pocket from a dealer in the Midwest that was 30% below MSRP. It was pure luck that I stopped back in at McClains in Corinth when Nate McClain was there. Needless to say, we saved a lot of time as he did not have to "go check with his manager" to negotiate a price. I made my peace with paying $4500 more for this fresh 2016 unit just off the line in Forest City ($4500 more than my best price for a 2015 that has been sitting on a lot for 4 months in the snowy midwest)--there being the added bonus of the collision avoidance sensor and the chrome wheels on the 2016 ERA. This unit also has the second aux battery. I suppose part of the fun of being new to RVing is finding out how long things like coach batteries, freshwater and propane lasts.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:09 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

One of the biggest lessons you can learn about batteries, is don't run them below 50% charge, ever, as they will lose capacity each time. Also, don't pay any attention to the so called battery gauge on the one place panel, it is worthless. So is the propane readout on there too for that matter. Use the tank gauge for that one.

Another thing is never, ever let an RV dealer service your Sprinter unless they are a Mercedes Sprinter or Freightliner dealer. They won't have the correct lubricants on hand, among other things. The Sprinter part and the coach, RV, part are 2 different warranty/servicing situations.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #7

Welcome! I live in Texas, too. I have a 2015 ERA 70A and love, love, love it!
TinStarArabians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Congrats on the new ERA, Mike!

Curious - is Winnebago now building 2016 ERAs with Mercedes' safety equipment package (including forward collision warning, lane departure warning, and blind spot monitoring), or are they using an optional add-on Mobileye system to get the forward collision warning capability?

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I read your blog and have a question. Am I correct in my understanding that you will not be using your toilet?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Congrats on the new ERA, Mike!

Curious - is Winnebago now building 2016 ERAs with Mercedes' safety equipment package (including forward collision warning, lane departure warning, and blind spot monitoring), or are they using an optional add-on Mobileye system to get the forward collision warning capability?

Tom
Looks like Winnebago will be using Mobileye collision prevention and mitigation system according to this link: Winnebago Offers Mobileye System in Select Units | RV Business
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The WGO build sheet shows it as an option for $1,000 but does not specify it as a Mercedes option. Airstream class B's use the Mercedes safety package.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #12

Our unit has the Mobileye. Just completed a 2,500 trip from Dallas, through Colorado, Utah, Nevada into Northern California and the Mobileye was helpful in keeping me in my lane as I would, from time to time, drift while looking at the scenery. As far as the use of the blackwater tank, I'm pleased to report that that we made it across 2 mountain ranges and time zones over 5 days and the seal still has not been broken. I'll post a report on the last 3 legs of our trip at era70x.com (1) from the Rockies to the Wasatch, (2) Provo to Reno and (3) Reno to San Jose.