Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #201
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2014 Winnebago Travato

As Mike noted the about the pilot light - maybe the wiring or at least the controls for a propane water heater upgrade are in place for anyone wanting to do the upgrade later.

It has a 7.2 gallon per hour recovery rate.

Running the generator often is probably a good thing for the generator. No gunked up carburetors!

For me, it would be nice to figure out a way to get hot water quietly early in the morning if your RV is not plugged in to utility grid power. The unit might keep the water warm enough overnight for washing your face etc. I don't think it is much of a problem running the generator later in the day. You might be running the generator for the air conditioner anyway.

This poll: Do you use the shower in your van? http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=25&t=233 indicates 76% of Class B users either don't use the shower in their van or prefer to use the campground shower. Only 24% indicated they regularly use the shower in their vans.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #202
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
As Mike noted the about the pilot light - maybe the wiring or at least the controls for a propane water heater upgrade are in place for anyone wanting to do the upgrade later.

It has a 7.2 gallon per hour recovery rate.

Running the generator often is probably a good thing for the generator. No gunked up carburetors!

For me, it would be nice to figure out a way to get hot water quietly early in the morning if your RV is not plugged in to utility grid power. The unit might keep the water warm enough overnight for washing your face etc. I don't think it is much of a problem running the generator later in the day. You might be running the generator for the air conditioner anyway.

This poll: Do you use the shower in your van? http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=25&t=233 indicates 76% of Class B users either don't use the shower in their van or prefer to use the campground shower. Only 24% indicated they regularly use the shower in their vans.
Do any of the inline water heaters pull low enough power to run off the van alternator or alternator through an inverter? Most places, you could get away with the van running for 5 minutes pretty easily (at least the gas ones), but might not be able to get away with running the generator.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #203
Platinum Member

I looked at one brand of Circulating Tank Heaters online. They started at 850 watts. Another brand started at 750 watts. Both were 120V AC.

The simplest thing to do might be to have the all electric water heater replaced with a propane or propane / electric model as mentioned by bobojay and mlts22 if you need or prefer it.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #204
Platinum Member

Quote:
I looked at one brand of Circulating Tank Heaters online. They started at 850 watts. Another brand started at 750 watts. Both were 120V AC.

The simplest thing to do might be to have the all electric water heater replaced with a propane or propane / electric model as mentioned by bobojay and mlts22 if you need or prefer it.
Does the existing water heater have a vented cover, or would the side of the van need to be cut for it? Our Suburban just has the vented cover, requiring a big opening. If it had a small two pipe, like the furnace, it would be a lot easier.

So, it looks like a 100 amps of DC and a 1000 watt inverter would do it, if you would be willing to run the van, or have a lot of batteries.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #205

Thanks for all of your feedback.
I don't know if I want to recommend such an extensive WH mod to her as a condition to purchase. I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting an upgrade that could carry potential safety concerns if not handled properly. I will look at the WH venting, if any, when I look at the unit.

You guys are great. You are giving me more things to think about and more information than I would have ever found on my own. Keep up with the comments.
Thanks

Off topic: The delivery of the unit in question has been delayed for at least another week so this gives me more time to prepare.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #206
Platinum Member

I saw a post on RV.net. A Florida Supershow visitor reported $69,995 show price on the Travato. This should be good the Class B market as a whole. We need a few more low cost entrants to balance the offerings which have shifted to high end, high priced units. I like seeing all price points available - that way you can get what you are willing to pay for.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #207
Platinum Member

Quote:
I saw a post on RV.net. A Florida Supershow visitor reported $69,995 show price on the Travato. This should be good the Class B market as a whole. We need a few more low cost entrants to balance the offerings which have shifted to high end, high priced units. I like seeing all price points available - that way you can get what you are willing to pay for.
I agree, should be good for everyone. It will be very interesting to see if the lower cost units put a wake up call on the manufacturers that have been running the race to the top on price and options. The lower cost Simplicities, Ranger, and the basic Pleasure-way haven't seemed to be able to have much effect.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #208
Platinum Member

Oops, my error, $69,995 was Boston Show price.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #209
Platinum Member

I just got through answering a question about tires to a guy who said his B sat 80% of the time only to realize my B sits almost that much. I had never thought of it that way. I guess that makes a B a rather expensive investment when you think about it. I imagine that is what is driving the multi-use designs that seat 4+ people to sell an every day vehicle idea. I guess the proof is in the pudding whether people will pull the trigger and start buying Bs for every day use. So far I don't see any indication they will. You can still buy decent SUVs and pickup trucks in tandem with a RV trailer for a lot less and to me that makes more sense to a working stiff with kids who plans to use it a few weeks a year or mostly locally.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #210
Platinum Member

The existing, going upscale, losing market share, models are hitting the $140K level now. It is really amazing that a new model can be 1/2 of that.

The families that we see at the places we go tend to be overwhelmingly in popups pulled by minivans. Next would probably old class A's, as they are big, cheap, and the family types are only going a short distance from home, most times.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #211
Platinum Member

The Winnebago diagrams are awesome. Kudos to them for publishing those.

Here in Texas, I mainly see pickup trucks and fifth wheels or travel trailers. Motorhomes tend to be either snowbird "A"s with toads, or an occasional "C". One RV place (RV Outlet Mall) has their Soleras from Forest River selling fairly often.

Time will tell... this will be an interesting years for "B"s.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #212
Platinum Member

It was a -18 degrees this morning. We just don't learn as we will be late snow birders again this year leaving home in the B around the first of March. We will be in Texas late March or early April and in Texas most of April and at a BEE Social at Lake of the Pines. But before that we will be going to Washington DC and then heading down the east coast to Florida and then across the Gulf coast.

We somehow dropped the ball. We were thinking originally of spending at least the month of February in South Padre Island. I think that changed when we committed to Washington DC in March. It felt like a bad change of plans this morning.

But what the heck, it will be a fairly long trip and an opportunity to survey the B situation in other parts of the country.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #213
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
It was a -18 degrees this morning. We just don't learn as we will be late snow birders again this year leaving home in the B around the first of March. We will be in Texas late March or early April and in Texas most of April and at a BEE Social at Lake of the Pines. But before that we will be going to Washington DC and then heading down the east coast to Florida and then across the Gulf coast.

We somehow dropped the ball. We were thinking originally of spending at least the month of February in South Padre Island. I think that changed when we committed to Washington DC in March. It felt like a bad change of plans this morning.

But what the heck, it will be a fairly long trip and an opportunity to survey the B situation in other parts of the country.
Possibly making a stop in the Cleveland area to see Mike N?

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:14 AM   #214
Platinum Member

Advanced RV is having an open house May 2. We are thinking about that one as it falls between our BEE Social in Texas and the Indianapolis Grand Prix Indy Car race but we plan to go home to Minnesota in between. That's a lot of driving considering we will have been all over the east coast as well. A relaxing riverboat cruise on the Rhine River is starting to appeal to me.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #215
Platinum Member

How do you get your van on a river boat?
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #216
Platinum Member

You don't but sometimes a vacation without driving so much starts looking appealing.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #217
Platinum Member

You are quite the traveler. Have you ever RVed through Europe? I would like to do Mexico but my wife (Mexicana) won't do it.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #218
Platinum Member

There's Open Discussion here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=20 or Places & Routes here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=22

Lets try to get this topic back to discussing the Winnebago Travato.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #219
Platinum Member

One thing I'm curious about when looking at the schematics was something I earlier mentioned. I wonder how difficult it would be to tee off a propane line so the Atwood 4 gallon water heater can get tossed for an Atwood on demand model, similar to what the Trend has. I wonder why Winnebago hasn't done this, and the on demand model actually takes up less space, so the only thing that I can think of is issues with running the propane hose.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #220
Platinum Member

My opinion only - it looks doable base on the size of the existing water heater.

You already have water and 110v in the water heater location and LP gas plumbed to that side of the coach.
You need to run a 12v line for the igniter and you need to cut a large hole in the side of the coach. (approx 1 sq ft depending on the LP water heater brand)

From photos and diagrams the water heater looks to be under the front dinette. I don't know if there is any van body structural reinforcement there for the sidewalls. If there is then you wouldn't be able to cut the hole. Maybe someone who has seen the Travato and the installed water heater can let us know.

Also, you'd want the water heater exterior door painted to match the Travato.

I hope it already is (or becomes) a factory option.

Edit: Would it be too close to the van gas fill location?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg where to put Travato LP water heater.jpg (51.2 KB, 548 views)