Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Propane bottle mounted on Class B

A question primarily for travel within Canada: Is it legal to mount a propane bottle on the rear of a class B? I was also told the bottle cannot be carried in the van. Well, if you can't carry them inside, and if you can't mount them on the outside, how do we supply propane to our camp stove on the picnic table, which is in the park, well away from the parking lot?
Secondly, legal or not, I have not been able to find a mounting bracket for the van's ladder (or the bumper for that matter) for my 10 lb bottle.
Input is welcome, thanks.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Propane bottle mounted on Class B

i don't think there is a mount specifically made to hold a propane bottle outside the van-you night look at what Davydd is doing with a 1 gallon (4.5ib) propane bottle.

http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-28114 ... ane+bottle

also it is not WISE to carry a propane bottle in a van. I don't think anyone could stop you if you did.do you have any outside storage compartments of any size? you might be ab;e to adapt something
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Silver Member

I guess you don't want to pay for the higher quality frame mounted propane that is installed underneath used by Roadtrek, Airstream and others. They are about a 15-20 gallon system and they are perfectly legal in Canada and the USA. Except there are some tunnels on the east coast of the US that do not allow them in the tunnel. You could carry small propane bottles inside as i do. The small throw aways. The big reason not to carry larger ones, or even the smaller ones, is in case they overheat or malfunction inside.The cloud of gas that comes from one sitting in the sun while parked is not pleasant. Build an underbody sealed box accessible from the inside rear but sealed! And vented to the outside. It can be done.
bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It would have to get mighty hot in your RV for the bottles to be a problem. You know, they aren't shipped to stores all over the country in open or air conditioned transport trucks, you know. They go in regular, hot, tractor trailers that carry everything under the sun to your local Wal-Mart.

I'd carry a few bottles in a cabinet or drawer and not think twice about it. Or a small cylinder. Just be sure they are stored upright, and that they can't bang around - secured with a bungee tight against a bulkhead/wall should suffice, or well packed in a cabinet.

I keep mine in my cargo carrier on the rear hitch along with the grill. They sit upright in a tote along with my hoses, drop-cords, etc.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerbill
I guess you don't want to pay for the higher quality frame mounted propane that is installed underneath used by Roadtrek, Airstream and others. They are about a 15-20 gallon system....
Yes, I have a 30 lb frame mounted propane tank underneath, for the fridge and furnace. But I also want to bring the little 10 lb portable bottle.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #6
Silver Member

Why not add a hose to the small grille from your main underbody tank?
bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Camping World and others sell 5' to 18' hoses with the fittings you might need. With them you can connect to your built in tank or a portable canister. I have a 12 ft. hose I bought to connect to my two-burner Coleman camping stove. Since the connection is before the B's regulator the fitting at the stove utilizes and connects to the brass regulator you use with the disposable LPG bottles.

I normally use the disposable 1 lb. bottles but occasionally will connect to my built in tank if the picnic table can be placed within 12 feet of the B connection.

I'm looking into having a vented storage box under the B floor for a 4.25 lb. portable tank.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone.