Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 01:06 AM   #101
Platinum Member

I might have went that route if it was available at the start of my build. The only negative would be it sitting so low and exposed on the gas Promaster, and the fact that it is a non stock device connected to the engine under warrantee. I designed my system to limit connecting to the van's systems. I have one cable connecting to the engine battery to a switch so I can completely isolate the systems or cross connect if needed. I have yet to connect to the van's electrical system during normal use. I can use the battery to battery chargers I installed if needed but it seems the solar keeps everything topped off most of the time.
If you do get the second alternator I would mount the same brush guard I have since it hangs low enough to help protect the low hanging alternator.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:26 AM   #102
Platinum Member

What prompted to install the front bumper guard was viewing a similar Promaster at the dealership getting repaired after a collision with a deer. Not much protection for the radiator and condenser up front which left the van un-drivable.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:19 AM   #103
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
What prompted to install the front bumper guard was viewing a similar Promaster at the dealership getting repaired after a collision with a deer. Not much protection for the radiator and condenser up front which left the van un-drivable.
Thanks for the feedback. I noticed when the fit RV crowd did the second alternator solution the alternator was very low. I mistakenly assumed Roadtrek would put it higher. I'll watch for it and definitely consider some protection.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #104
Platinum Member

Here's the position of the auxiliary alternator on a Promaster based Hymer: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post49180
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #105
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Here's the position of the auxiliary alternator on a Promaster based Hymer: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post49180
Yes. That's the position the fit RV people placed it as well. Bottom left hanging below the bumper cowling. If the guard in the photo is on the Hymer hopefully it's on the Zion I've just bought.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #106
Platinum Member

That guard will protect it from rocks and debris but not curbs and parking dividers. The Bumper guard or something similar would be a priority if I had one. Hitting the right size curb would probably put an end your trip. It would be pretty simple to mount some 4" angle sandwiched between steel bumper mounts the same way my bumper guard is installed.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #107
Platinum Member

Default lightweight spare tire carrier

Wanted something light weight and low profile to carry a spare for long trips. The flanged mount is for a jeep, I installed a large backing plate 9"x24" using 3/16 aluminum plate and glued it in with some 3M 55 adhesive. The outer plate is stainless steel. The loop is for a padlock. All of it weighs less than 5lbs. I will have to lower the license plate about three inches. Mounted it high to lesson the chance of being bumped at parking lots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0130.jpg (117.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0127.jpg (213.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0126.jpg (188.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #108
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
I pulled 1440 watts on low 1560 on high for the coleman Mach8 13500 unit. I turned on the instant hot water heater (750 watts) and ran the microwave at 50%. All at once. No problem.
I calculated I can safely run my ac for over 6hrs just on the batteries (900AH lithium) in no sun, 7 hrs or more with sun. 400 watts solar panels MPPT, controller averaging 200watts.
I better go to study your power system.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote