Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Sure Power 1315 Battery Separator

Anybody else got one of these, or a similar device. I've got a question about the operating temperature of this coil.

Does the battery separator get hot when hooked up? By hot I mean does the coil get very hot to the touch?

Quick overview of my setup. I've got a 1315 to separate my engine and coach battery. I'm NOT using the auxiliary start feature. I've run 2 AWG wire from the engine battery to the 1315 with a circuit breaker in line. Out of the separator I've run 2 AWG wire to the coach battery. I've connected the ground from the separator to the negative terminal of the coach battery (which is then grounced to the chassis with 2 AWG wire. Should I run the ground from the 1315 battery separator directly to the chassis instead of the negative terminal of the coach battery or would that matter?
K-mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Terry installed one in his conversion. See this post: (lots of photos, slow to load)

http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=885

You can email him or send him a private message (or do both).
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Sure Power's Tech Support says, "Yes they do get hot at times and common ground between the main battery and aux battery ground."
Old 08-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I re-positioned my battery separator last night to allow for more 'breathing space' around the unit. I figured out that this thing only gets hot when its working. Duh. Being new to this type of stuff I wasn't sure if it would stay hot all the time or not. It only seems to heat up when the engine is running (alternator charging) or if I'm connected to shore power and my Tripp Lite inverter/charger is charging the battery.

Lesson learned, van wired, now on to propane installation.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to brian t
Default Re: Sure Power 1315 Battery Separator

Reply is a little late but better than never.
We have a 1315 in our Roadtrek RS and when operated for a long period of time it got quite hot. As in too hot to hold on to ! One side was mounted hard to the firewall, the other side was sitting on top of a plastic mounting lug for an air duct. It was a convenient spot with a handy bolt but was isolated "heat wise". Moved the 1315 so that both lugs are mounted hard to the firewall and it's definitely cooler. According to the Sure Power documents "typical" relay coil current is 1.5 amps, ours was 1.6 amps. I'm now a happy camper.
brian t is offline   Reply With Quote