Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Hymer Aktiv Loft gas struts

Would anybody happen to have knowledge as to how gas struts must be installed to support the weight of the loft properly when open. I have had problems with my gas struts. I have already replaced them once and now they are not supporting the weight any longer. This happened with the original struts put in by Hymer and the replacement struts we had put in to replace those when they would no longer support the weight of the open loft. Do they just wear out in a few years? I did notice that in colder weather, they would tend to loose strength and the loft would sag. My gas struts have the thicker part down, but I have seen them installed with the thicker part up. Does it matter which part is facing down? They work great when they are new. Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220415_020001428 (1).MP~2.jpg (111.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg anif0wq5ecgwwk2h9iug~2.jpg (12.5 KB, 95 views)
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Gas springs should be installed with rod down in order to lubricate the seal. Overtime gas springs will lose pressure. Perhaps the same stroke/length gas spring with higher force rating would be correct https://www.mcmaster.com/gas-springs/
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 04:10 PM   #3

Can you share the specs of the gas struts that you bought? I'm trying to buy some for a friend and want to surprise him, but I don't have access to the van so I can see them myself. His pop-top has been saggy for a while
andykrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 03:10 AM   #4
Bronze Member

This is the link to the one's we bought.
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/se...ST440M100-Lift
Old 01-21-2024, 02:15 AM   #5

Default Strut Question...

Hi, Did the struts you left a url for work out?

(44.00'' Lift Supports Depot ST440M100 Lift Support With Metal Cup | ST440M100-W)

I bought a 2019 Hymer Activ a few days ago and need new gas struts apparently.

Also, do you have any information on your roll out shade canopy? Mine doesn't have one but I would love to get one down the road.

OH YEA! What do you do for Air Conditioning since you went with the pop up model?

-First time van owner of a few days..
VanLifeHymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 02:42 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Congrats on your purchase.

Yes, the struts do work, but eventually will lose their lifting power. We have replaced them 2x since purchasing our Aktiv,

The awning I believe is a Carefree Freedom awning.

There is an undermount A/C which just works Ok and will eventually fail. There is a fuse inside the unit, which is under the rig that will eventually fail. There is no way to access this fuse without cutting into the metal of the unit. Hymer did not plan for this to happen I guess. Several people have changed out their undermount A/C for a PROAIR 12v undermount unit. We will probably do that at some point.

You might want to join the Hymer Owners and Wannabe's group on Facebook. They are a wealth of information and help. A member there helped us with our Eko Trek Lithiums. I can't say enough good things about the helpful fellow owners that belong to the group.
Old 01-21-2024, 03:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I second that Aktiv group on Facebook. They know the eccentric issues of these vans intimately. They have also chased down where to get parts.

Good service facilities are also hard to find... one that can actually troubleshoot and fix stuff- like the Ecotrek system - is Edge Vanworks up near San Francisco.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:14 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Dan Neeley is a very knowledgeable Roadtrek, Hymer and Carado RV technician. We have used Dan several times to troubleshoot problems on our Hymer. He used to be a mobile RV tech, but now has a shop out of Carpinteria, California and does not travel. He knows the Eko Trek system really well. http://www.dneeleyrvservice.com/Home.html

I have heard good things about Edge Vanworks, but have not used them myself.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:08 PM   #9

Thank you so much! I will join the facebook group. I am learning as much as I can. It's a relief to know there are people out there who are knowledgeable and helpful.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:42 PM   #10

Hey there, you guys have been so quick to respond...
I'm waiting to be accepted into the facebook group

Is there anyone in Arizona (or the central CA coast - San Luis Obispo specifically) that you guys know of that work on HYMERS'?

I've got a lot of questions but I'll wait for facebook unless someone is feeling verbose...

Buying and installing an Awning,
loft canvas repair,
new loft struts and installation,
bathroom drain broken away from pan,
get the AC working / replaced or activated (we don't even know how to turn it on),
same with the heater,
why the microwave needs to be plugged into outside power
parts: isolator valve handle, refrigerator latch, everything else
just to start with...

THANKS!

M and D
Old 01-21-2024, 09:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I wintered in AZ for many years, mostly with a Roadtrek. Never found anyone I would recommend for specifically EGHNA issues. Perhaps someone on the FB page when you get on knows of someone away from the Phoenix area. La Mesa sold Hymer products back in the day. But we definitely don't recommend them for anything... ever...

Dan Neeley is closer to you than Edge, and also highly recommended, but as a one man shop it can be hard to get in.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote