Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default MotoMaster Eliminator Digital Inverter - Model 011-1892-4

I posted this twice. I thought I should add this in the Gear section because it has info that might help someone and I added a link to download the owner manual.

I ended up buying a 1,000W Pure Sine Inverter today from Canadian Tire on sale for $119.99 (Reg. price $299.99)
MotoMaster Eliminator Digital Power Inverter - Model 011-1892-4

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

If you are tempted by this deal make sure to read the specifications on the side of the box. The top of the box shows 1000 watts heavy Duty. The first one I bought without reading the specs on the side. I read it when I got home and it showed 800 watts continuous and 1000 watts for 5 minutes. I found a new owner manual online and to my surprise it showed 1000 watts continuous. My manual showed 800 or 900 watts continuous depending where you looked in the manual. So I phoned another Canadian Tire and asked that they check their stock and read out the specs printed on the side of the box. Theirs was 1000 watt continuous just like what I read in the new owner manual I downloaded. So I returned the first one. It was older stock manufactured July 2010. The second one I bought had a date of manufacture of November 2011.

The inverters looked the same and had the same model number 11-1892-4. Boxes look the same as well. Only visible difference is the specifications printed on the side and in the manuals.

Same box, same model number but big differences depending if you get older stock.
Continuous/5 min/surge
Old stock: 800/1000/1600
New stock: 1000/1100/2000

The older inverter manufactured July 2010 had 800 watts continuous and 1000 watts for 5 minutes and 1600 watt surge - see photo:

The newer inverter manufactured November 2011 had 1000 watts continuous and 1100 watts for 5 minutes and 2000 watt surge - see photo:

This 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter weighs 7 lbs. I have a 1000 watt modified sine wave inverter that only weighs 4 lbs. Heavier is better I think

It also has some nice features like the digital display, remote on/off switch and a USB outlet.

Owner manual for newer stock: http://nfa-na.com/manuals/C11-7554C%...011-1892-4.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old inverter.JPG (453.3 KB, 5680 views)
File Type: jpg new inverter.JPG (415.7 KB, 5688 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: MotoMaster Eliminator Digital Power Inverter - Model 011

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0143.JPG (359.1 KB, 5659 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0148.JPG (261.3 KB, 5657 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0150.JPG (439.1 KB, 5656 views)
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default MotoMaster Eliminator Digital Inverter - Model 011-1892-4

Just an update re: MotoMaster Eliminator Digital Inverter - Model 011-1892-4

This inverter came with a 2 year warranty. On our last trip the inverter started smoking when we heated some food in the microwave oven after pulling over into rest area to have a meal. Something got too hot inside the inverter. The microwave oven was on high for 3 minutes. 980 watts was shown on the inverter display.

The battery cables were all cool to the touch. The inverter was running off 4 batteries plus alternator with engine rpm at 1070. Plenty of input power.

The inverter didn't fail or shutdown, no warning beeps, cooling fan worked etc. After the smoke cleared (lots of smoke) I cooked a second meal with the power level on the microwave oven at 8. That gives the inverter a break periodically as it cooks. We use the inverter on every trip but I don't think we've ever run the microwave oven for more than a minute or two on high at anytime. The inverter continued to work for the rest of the trip (no microwave oven use).

The store gave me a replacement inverter as I was within the 2 year warranty period (20 months since purchase). A refund was not permitted. The inverter is rated 1000 watts continuous, 1100 watts for five minutes and 2000 watts surge. It should meet my needs.

I've opened up a few inverters and have seen zip ties and glue etc. inside. The smoke might have been caused by something like that. I did not open the case on the unit that smoked because of the warranty. I really would have liked to see what got hot.

I'm tempted to install the new inverter and try it as it is rated enough for what I need. A higher capacity pure sine wave inverter will cost me $400 which is money I rather put toward new shocks or a swaybar etc.

Manufacture date on the new inverter is 06/2013.

Maybe I won't run the microwave oven on more than power level 8 ............ (just thinking here).
Old 10-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Re: MotoMaster Eliminator Digital Inverter - Model 011-1892-

There are a number of ways to skin that cat. Running the microwave on 8 or slower is one way. However, there are times when one might run into that issue again if it wasn't just an edge case with that single inverter.

This makes me wish I had a decent oscilloscope. I'd like to see what type of power this inverter is putting out at load, and if there are any issues.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I've seen a couple of posts from people that confirmed the sine wave with an oscilloscope. There are also a couple of YouTube videos that show the sine wave.

I used the previous one for 1 1/2 years to power the TV, WiFi router, TV antenna, toaster, fridge & charging phones, laptop, camera etc. It's fine for all that. In testing it has run my air conditioner. I'm just not sure about the 1,000 watt rating.

I'm torn between testing new inverter at the full 1000 watts or not and just live with running the microwave on power level 8 for example. I kind of know that one day I'm going to want know if it can handle 1000 watts or not.

Whatever caused all the smoke from the now returned inverter did not stop the inverter from working.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Reading through my post(s) I can see where I'm trying to justify the decision to buy this inverter.
Funny thing is, if someone asked me what size inverter to get to run a microwave oven I would not recommend a 1000 watt inverter. So I didn't follow my own advice
Old 05-29-2014, 04:27 AM   #7

It is funny we are are our best teachers I have burn up many inverters a number of different ways. To small plug in type into cigarette lighter. Hooking them up backwards to battery clip style , not putting fuse inline for just such overloads . oh and under sizing the unit for your needs and big number one under sizing the wire and the number of batteries .Just running the engine don't cut it you need to have enough power so it dose not have to surge to do the job right .
Oh and if you wonder why you cooked you alternator you might start by looking at the fact you over loaded it from using your inverter without enough batteries. Yea learning cost money doing the job right cost less in the long run .
For just microwaving and maybe a cooler you will need no less than a 1500 watt unit and two deep-cycle battery's battery isolator that charges the batteries when the ignition is on but will not drain you car battery , car battery should never be discharged by A inverter you will destroy your high amperage battery doing so very fast . They are not meant to be cycled like deep cycle batteries are. Best inverter batteries I have found are 6 volt golf cart batteries four of them with heavy cables linking them to inverter with fuse inline on positive side do a great job .A battery switch is a must . Don't find your self with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere for days as what happen to me in Hawaii . Two days on the beach nobody ! solar panel never worked right lol.
deep cycle batteries never run down below 50% charge they will have to be replaced sooner .(less than a year) Always make sure you charge up to full charge after use about 12.6 volts min is full charge on a stand by battery not charging .
with a little care you can use a inverter . If you willing to put the time a money into doing the right job hooking up an inverter and keeping the batteries up every time you use it. If not maybe you should have a small honda 2000 watt generator handy it will do the job with no mess of batteries or inverters .I have one to charge my batteries up so i am not sitting on the beach for two days doing nothing out of beer and ice Hot .
hope this helps someone . Aloha
thinkgreengotankless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:23 AM   #8

Default help

I just bought the motomaster to use camping as a power sourse hopeing to use it from my car battery. I have no idea how to use it and I left the manual at home. I'm looking for step by step institutions in how I can use it set it up to power my phone and hair dryer while we camp. in outdoorrsy but still a girl. I can't find wut I need to know anyplace
aimeenogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #9

aimee, if you use your car battery the hair dyer will drain your starting battery and your vehicle wont start. You will need a dedicated separate battery wired to the inverter to be able to plug stuff in...like a hair drier or curling iron.
opticalmike is offline   Reply With Quote