Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Wireless Indoor Outdoor Thermometer for Refrigerator

I use a wireless indoor outdoor thermometer to keep track of the Dometic refrigerator temperature in my RV.

Every fridge will be different. With mine, at night, quite often the fridge dial is on '2' or even '1'. If set any higher the temperature will go bellow freezing in the fridge. Ideal refrigerator temperature is between 35 and 38 degrees F (1.7 to 3.3 degrees C).

With a wireless indoor outdoor thermometer you can see at a glance what your refrigerator temperature is. Put the transmitter in the fridge and the receiving unit on the counter when parked.

I got mine at Walmart. It was $10 or $14 and it is one of the most useful things that I purchased for my motorhome.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #2

Default Deathvalley and thermometer

zIn Death valley Ca.the temp one summer was 124. Thanks to the thermometer readings I knew I'd better consume as much food as I could because the refer that had been 42 degrees was now in the 70'sor 80's.
Both Roof Airs were running and it was in the hundreds inside.

I do like having the wireless temp though. You have to change the temp controls on the refer to either keep from freezing things or from warming up too much.
Each year I drive up and down hwy 395 in eastern california. The elevation ranges from 3000 ft to 6000 ft and up to 9000 ft on side trips. because the outside temp can vary so much w/ elevation and temp,the refer will fluxuate just as much. I keep the base station at my dash so I can be aware.
It also will alert you if for some reason the gas goes off so catch it sooner. Sometimes you can get one with an alarm set to ring at what ever temp you want.
When I camped in snowing conditions I would set the alarm for 30 degrees and place sensors near the most vulnerable pipe.
It gave me peace of mind when it never went below 32 degrees
If it did sound off, all I could do is watch them freeze.
Sometimes turning on the heat helped forestall freezing of plumbing in the coach,but it has to be wrapped in compartments or under the coach.

Excuse mispellings or sentence construction,Im exausted composing this and dont have the initiative to go over it.
8-10 mpg

01 Rexhal Class A V10 32 ft 2 slides
10-11 mpg
(not cramped)
E-250 4x4 vancmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Silver Member

This is a good idea! I hadn't thought of it, but now that you've done so, I think I'll pick one up. My fridge likes to freeze stuff...which lately hasn't been a problem because it only has bottled water in it in between trips, and I like COLD water.
kenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #4

Default Re: Wireless Indoor Outdoor Thermometer for Refrigerator

I am sure that the wireless thermometer works well, but I have found that having a little fridge fan in the fridge works very well for us. This is a tiny unit that sits in the bottom of the fridge and circulates the air. This stops the air in the fridge from stratifying with the cold air at the bottom freezing things and the warmer air at the top. We have never have problems freezing things now and find that we can use a much more energy efficient setting on the thermostat. As a bonus the fridge fan runs for about a month on 2 D cells. You can get them a most RV dealers.
Ferzyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wireless Indoor Outdoor Thermometer for Refrigerator

What kind of fridge fan do you have?? I had one once and it killed the batteries in less than a day.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote