Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo
Default Don't come here!

(at least not now, wait a few months)

Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Don't come here!

Ouch, that looks painful. Are you sure your thermometer is working properly???
We got down to -14C last night just after midnight.
Right now it's -8C. The prediction here is for gradual cooling overnight to a Friday daytime high of -13C. Hope they're wrong and
it gets warmer. Predicted 14 day trend (for what it's worth) is for mostly warmer weather. This may be it for deep freezes this year. (I hope)
You have my sympathies.

Mike.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It's warmed up to about -4F now. I'm afraid this is the high today. Tomorrow will be a few degrees above 0 and by Saturday we'll be back to the low 20's. I was talking with an older gentleman at the gas station yesterday while we were pumping gas. He said "this weather is the reason that people in Minnesota start running around in shorts when it's 40 degrees outside". He's so right! Anything above 20 will feel good here after this.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Gold Member

We are up to a balmy -6 at noon. Not sure what our low was for the day. All schools in area cancelled due to cold weather.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Our schools were closed today too.

My poor son and his family just got back from Orlando on Tuesday, they're really bumming out this week!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I hate to put the hex on things down here, but I think our worst is over. Unless we dive down 10C overnight, and I don't think we will, we're on our way back up. Our predicted overnight low is -15C and we're just touching -13, so we're almost there.
Good luck, stoke the fires, and bundle up you two!!!!!!

Mike.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I have a huge fire going and have been hanging out in the house for most of thel day. I spent about 15 minutes outside feeding the creatures, that was more than enough for me. You know, we bought the B with the intention of spending most of the winter in a warmer climate, but work has prevented that.

My youngest son is leaving for Washington DC tomorrow, he's excited because their weather forcast is called for upper 30's/lower 40's in the coming week.

Stay warm, just a few more days and hopefully the worst of winter will be behind us (crossed fingers here)
Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Complaining about weather has a lot to do with what you're use to. When I lived in the Prairies back in the 80's, I remember wind chills of lower than -70. I had to work outside in that. I lived in the Maritimes back in the 90's and they had all kinds of snow. There were days I drove my Jeep and the snow was up to the top of the grill on the vehicle. It was hard to see when the snow is going over the vehicle.

People complain at the cold while people in the North laugh at them. When the West Coast got all kind of snow this year, the people in Newfoundland were laughing. It all depends what your use to. For those who are not use to the cold, bundle up and drink warm liquids. The cold won't last for ever. After all, we're having global warming
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I remember those colder temps as a youth too. But, they didn't bother me as much then,. We would bundle up and stay outside for hours. I suspect that as we age our bodies don't regulate temps as well and we "feel" the cold more.

And, you're right that it's all about what we're used to. I know that today I'm dreaming about a nice warmy sunny beach somewhere down south. But, if I were there in the summer I wouldn't be able to handle the heat. The Snowbirds have the right idea!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julievojo
I remember those colder temps as a youth too. But, they didn't bother me as much then,. We would bundle up and stay outside for hours. I suspect that as we age our bodies don't regulate temps as well and we "feel" the cold more.
Ah yes, the old days. Yes, the cold doesn't seem to bother us as much when we're younger but that probably has something to do with how active we are. Up until Aug-07, I worked outside in Winnipeg. There were some cold days but I was use to it. I've been at a desk job and in Southern Ont. since then and the temperature seems to effect me more now. I don't have the opportunity to weatherize myself. The fact they keep the offices at 25C to 28C here has a lot to do with it too.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:42 AM   #11
Platinum Member

The temps remind me of when I was in New Brunswick last March.

The sunshine and the snow combo while we were on the Acadian Peninsula was fantastic though.

The thermometer on the deck at the vacation cottage we rented didn't show temps warmer than the freezing point!

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Dang it! I'm already here. We did top down to about a -27F last week but I couldn't verify for sure. I'm only going by the weather service thermometer at Flying Cloud Airport south of us because I discovered our digital indoor/outdoor thermometer only registers down to -21F then just says oF. We have historically been colder than the weather service because we are in low point hollow next to a marsh.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I was overseas last summer and the temperatures there were the opposite. The one thermometer would read +55C (131F) but there were several times it would just say "HOT". The temperature is known to get up to 65C (149F) where I was. The official temperature, away from paved areas, was around 47C (116.6F) and that was late May to early June. The middle of the summer gets worse. The weather did change just before I left though. The humidity increased to basically 100%. If I waved my hand through the air, it would get wet. The temperature was still in the 40's. I prefer the cold over that.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Where were you Renrut?

I can handle just plain hot - no problem at 112 in Phoenix. Hot and humid is another issue altogether though!