Washing Dishes

Post all of your RV related food preparation, handling, shopping and recipe questions, answers and comments here.

Washing Dishes

Postby markopolo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:04 am

These are photos taken inside my Roadtrek:

but we almost aways wash the dishes outside on the picnic table with a table cloth on it.

It's all pretty easy to store.

markopolo
Site Admin

My RV: '97 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van

Postby markopolo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:05 am

Washing dishes in the van works best with two people - one washing & one drying :D
markopolo
Site Admin

My RV: '97 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van

Postby bobojay » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:04 am

markopolo wrote:Washing dishes in the van works best with two people - one washing & one drying :D

For sure!
Bob & Sharon
2013 WGO ERA 70A
Past RV's
Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion
29' 5th Wheel
bobojay
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Santa Cruz Ca KOA

Postby Whiskyecho » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:53 pm

Stayed there this last summer - they've a dedicated "dish washing" sink (area) - has all the hot water you can use and trash cans for any leftover food stuffs. Very nice.
Whiskyecho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Washing Dishes

Postby shezonit » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:58 am

You can eliminate the dishpan( and where do you rinse?) by simply putting about 3/4 cup hot water with a squirt detergent in it in a small bowl or large cup. Dip your scrubber/sponge/dishcloth/tool of choice into this and wash dishes, stacking them in the sink ,nested inside each other. Once they are all washed, start rinsing the stack, largest one first- it fills with water, then you can rinse the smaller ones in that same water ( within reason) and stack them in your dish rack. OR, eliminate the rack, too and just stack them on a double layer of microfiber towels. Put the silverware in one of the cups or glasses. Let all air dry- it's more sanitary. This method uses the very least amount of water. I used it when living on a sailboat. It was the "one pint" method. When they are dry, wring out the microfiber, hang it and it'll dry quickly. Microfiber towels are now available about 10 for $7. ..... they are infinitely useful.
shezonit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My RV: 1996 Bigfoot Class B

Re:

Postby lakeconroepenny » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:24 pm

markopolo wrote:Washing dishes in the van works best with two people - one washing & one drying :D

One thing I learned in nursing school and as a certified food handler, is that drying dishes with a cloth is a bad thing. It leads to contamination. Better to have a dab of 'disinfecting' bleach (they don't all say that on the jug) in the rinse water and let them air dry. If you are fortunate enough to rinse them in hot water, they will dry quickly.
Happy Trails, Penny, TX
Rving, and fixing them, since 1968.
I loved my dog, he was not motivated by money !!
Don't Drink and Drive, ever !!
Happy Trails. Penny
lakeconroepenny

Postby Vicbowling » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm not sure if drying with bleach is really a good idea...?~ It doesn't really sound all that safe. I mean, wouldn't that be the equivalent of washing your dishes with Fantastic spray or Windex. I think I'll take my chances with a towel.

Vicbowling

Postby lakeconroepenny » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:51 am

[quote="Vicbowling"]I'm not sure if drying with bleach is really a good idea...?~ It doesn't really sound all that safe. I mean, wouldn't that be the equivalent of washing your dishes with Fantastic spray or Windex. I think I'll take my chances with a towel. >>>

If the dishwasher breaks down in a restaurant, that is the way the health dept. says to do it.
Like I said, rinsing them again with hot water makes them dry quicker. It doesn't have to be a bowlful, just a squirt bottle will do.

Swimming pools and lots of drinking water contain bleach to kill the germs, and you aren't going to be drinking your rinse water. http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.asp We are only talking about a tablespoon or so for rinsing dishes. Once bleach has been used, it turns into salt anyway, that is why it won't hurt your plants or the toilet gaskets if you want to re-use the water for flushing.
Most Fantastic/Windex products are made with ammonia, not bleach.

Dish towels are not allowed in fast food, hosptitals, dental clinics, restaurants etc., and the tables have to be wiped down with bleach water, so you aren't going to be able to avoid it.
Rving, and fixing them, since 1968.
I loved my dog, he was not motivated by money !!
Don't Drink and Drive, ever !!
Happy Trails. Penny
lakeconroepenny

Postby armyvet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:36 am

I've used bleach doing type of dish washing a 1/4 cap full in the rinsing water. Plus it was use in the army, plus we used a very small in drinking water. There is a lot of uses for bleach.
armyvet

Postby Cubey » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:15 am

When off the grid, I put a stopper in the sink. I wash the least dirty things with running water first. Once the sink has a good amount of water in it, I use it to wash the dirtier stuff. Sometimes I even leave the water, if it's not TOO dirty, for more dish washing later. I use a dish pan to set the clean dishes into so i can move it around due to very limited space.
Full timer in a 1978 Dodge B300 Xplorer 228 - My Blog
Cubey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

My RV: 1978 Dodge B300 Xplorer 228

Postby stanw909 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 pm

I guess I'm reviving this topic. We always wipe out/off our pans n plates with our napkins (paper towels) and put in trash bag. I use a wipe from TubOtowels to get stubborn stuff then wash n rinse. We have always done this even in the big Bounder because we never use hookup campgrounds so translating to the B is second nature. Air dry.
stanw909
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My RV: Dodge B-2500, Glaval/Sportsmobile

Return to The Kitchen