Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default MPG, Fuel Economy, - the definitive resource

Let's make this forum topic the definitive resource information re: MPG, Fuel Economy etc. as it relates to RV travel.

As pointed out, MPG is a primary factor in considering a Class B.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: MPG, Fuel Economy, - the definitive resource

I'll mention for what it is worth that MPG seems to have more than just an economic effect.

My Class C gets 8 mpg and that does not encourage me to drive it. We went larger for comfort but are less likely to use it. We are more "frequent trips of less duration" people than I thought when we bought the "drive and stay month Class C".

Anyone want to to buy my C?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I'll mention for what it is worth that MPG seems to have more than just an economic effect.

Anyone want to to buy my C?
Ha ha. I suppose the price is right, B's are among the most expensive campers on the road. But thanks for the offer....
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Platinum Member

You could certainly buy a lot of fuel, for the difference in price of a B & C RV.

If your C gets 8mpg and a B get 16 mpg, the difference is only 8mpg. For a trip, your B would use 1/2 as much fuel. At some point, there isn't enough time or miles, to make up the difference in vehicle cost -vs- fuel savings.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Suppose this is as good as it gets? Maybe the Middle East will continue to be a speculators boon,
and the price of a gallon will hit $5? I always hope, in the back of my mind, things will improve,
and all the lame excuses for oil price bumps will go away, but you can never be certain. The last
time we drove through the US we averaged around $2.80/USgallon, which was great to a Canuck.
What if $3.33 is as good as it gets from here on out? It might not be a temporary spike.
Maybe, we all better make and execute our travel plans before it gets worse?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Platinum Member

The news keeps pointing out that rising fuel costs will throw us back into recession which will force the cost of fuel down again.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Platinum Member

It does seem like we're headed that way, double dip maybe, but I'm hoping the effects won't be
as bad as October 2008, with everyone (mutual funds managers/brokerage houses, etc.) being
more wary this time.
Whether it does or doesn't happen, it's still more expensive to gas up now, than in early
January, before the Tunisian problems started this all. Funny how one person CAN change the world,
if only for a short time?
I just wish they'd get their collective acts together, and sort out Libya. It's the problem,
as far as gas prices go, Egypt and Tunisia didn't do much to them. Beats me why, as Libya
aren't that major a player in the scheme of daily oil worldwide, but they are 9th in estimated
reserves, last time I looked.
Still $3.33/USgal works out to about $0.83/litre, so it isn't all bad.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I paid $1.08 per liter in Winnipeg in early February. Gasoline in Minnesota on the Lake Superior North Shore was $3.49 per gallon this week. Minnesota is usually a lot less than gasoline on the either the east or west coast states. I haven't done any conversions to compare. I'll worry about that if we head up to Banff and Lake Louise this summer.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #9
Platinum Member

3.8 lpf on your toilets = 1 US gallon.
So, divide your price per gallon by 3.8 (I use 4) and that's what you're paying per litre.
You are still doing OK compared to us at $3.49/gallon, btw.
Our local price is $1.20/litre today ($4.56/USG).
Old 03-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I just wish they'd get their collective acts together, and sort out Libya. It's the problem,
as far as gas prices go,
Don't get me started on this one. I think the USA is the biggest culprit w.r.t. oil producing dictators. But no matter how anyone responds, I won't bite. Not on this forum anyway. Cheers all.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Hey JR, I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone for causality, that part is arguably very complex and has
developed over decades. Unless your reference to o.p.d. meant CEOs at Exxon, Shell, Mobile, Chevron, etc.?
My point was just for someone, anyone, to GET IT FIXED!!!
Driving season is just around the corner for us.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
Platinum Member

The price of gas. Ha. Last November, it was way cheaper for me to fly AZ-MT-AZ than to drive the 2500 mile roundtrip.($250. flight round trip.) Left the van in AZ. Also, time is $. Four days of driving is a lot of time.I had my store open an extra 3 days= at least the price of the flight.
There is no good answer.
I'm beginning to think my future is gonna be an older, much bigger Class A, that I live in for the AZ time. For the same price I paid for my Class B(under $20K), I can get a 36 to 40 footer,about 15 years old, with luxurious huge interior, even washer hookups. It only has to drive from a storage yard to a site or two. So the 6 or 7mpg doesn't really matter.
It's already fully depreciated, so sitting in the sun is not going to affect the value. OR I could get a really nice pull trailer, for even less $, and move it -not far- with my van. ??
The big question will be on whether I continue to drive the 16 mpg van back and forth, or my 35mpg Accord? But then I have to get a motel room.... and use rest stop toilets again-- oh noooooooooo....
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
Platinum Member

If we had a cheap CG or trailer park, or even a piece of property in AZ or TX or somewhere down
there that had some basic infrastructure (even nearby), we'd be tempted to leave a larger motorhome
or a larger TT parked there, and just head down when the weather up here is crappy (like now, we got
4" more snow overnight).
We could also try pulling a smaller TT with us, using the Roadtrek, and leave it on a CG or trailer park,
and use the RT to tour with the trailer being "home". Issues, auto/health insurance, the cost of the second
"coach", where to park it that isn't really expensive, vandalism and theft/break ins while it's unattended,
any more I may not have thought of yet?
If we avoided big mountains on our way to wherever, we could probably pull a smaller TT.
Anybody wanna split an AZ retreat, or just a small piece of land with a view???
Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Platinum Member

If someone comes to this thread "MPG, Fuel Economy, - the definitive resource", looking for MPG & Fuel economy answers, they are going to become very disappointed.

The discussion about the cost of travel and where to spend your time is very interesting, and worthy of discussion; but nobody will find it, if it is tucked into this thread.

Just my 2 cents.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Has anyone tried any of the MPG improving products on the market? There used to be fuel vaporizers and additives to pour into the tank, etc.

Some think that better injectors and modified pistons and heads will improve fuel burn, and get more power from less fuel. Anyone try engine mods for power and MPG.........or, more power with the same MPG?
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I don't plan to try additives or any other changes to the engine. Most of that is futile.

Driving sensibly with a light foot on the pedal is the smartest thing you can do. I also find that getting off the freeways and driving the 55 MPH highways is the best way to save on fuel. My best fuel mileage is always on the secondary roads. The bonus is it is way more interesting and enjoyable. The whole idea is to get out and see the country and not the back of a semi on the freeway.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
If we had a cheap CG or trailer park, or even a piece of property in AZ or TX or somewhere down
there that had some basic infrastructure (even nearby), we'd be tempted to leave a larger motorhome
or a larger TT parked there, and just head down when the weather up here is crappy (like now, we got
4" more snow overnight).
We could also try pulling a smaller TT with us, using the Roadtrek, and leave it on a CG or trailer park,
and use the RT to tour with the trailer being "home". Issues, auto/health insurance, the cost of the second
"coach", where to park it that isn't really expensive, vandalism and theft/break ins while it's unattended,
any more I may not have thought of yet?
If we avoided big mountains on our way to wherever, we could probably pull a smaller TT.
Anybody wanna split an AZ retreat, or just a small piece of land with a view???
There are 100's of RV parks, with adjacent storage. It's $35-50. a month. In 12 yrs at one park, I only heard of one "break-in". Knowing this person, I'd bet a beer he left the door unlocked.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
If someone comes to this thread "MPG, Fuel Economy, - the definitive resource", looking for MPG & Fuel economy answers, they are going to become very disappointed.

The discussion about the cost of travel and where to spend your time is very interesting, and worthy of discussion; but nobody will find it, if it is tucked into this thread.

Just my 2 cents.
Yup. That's true. There's no real news on how to get better gas mpg, we've all studied that one for years! So it looks like we are discussing how gas prices have affected our travels? And buying choices?
For example-- do I ditch my 15 year old paid-for Honda that gets 34 mpg for a new Prius- to get 45 mpg? I don't think that makes sense at all. First of all-- as someone mentioned-- it would take a LONG time to offset the gas cost in the cost of the new vehicle. Another thing to think about with "buying new" is the environmental factor of new manufacturing. In an older, depreciated vehicle, the steel, plastics etc - that pollution was over a long time ago. If you create whole new stuff-- it's a whole new carbon cost.
The only new vehicle I ever bought was a 2008 motorcycle. I won't do it again-- the depreciation alone means my 50 mpg vehicle is down to more like 5 mpg, in terms of the cost of owning the vehicle. It won't start to even up to a true 40 mpg ( cost per mile) for another three years. D'oh. I didn't think that one through, did I?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #19
Platinum Member

And, Mike--- don't tow a trailer to leave in TX or AZ. RVs are very cheap in AZ. Check out craigslist ads in Phoenix, Tucson and Yuma. you will be amazed what you can get for $15,000.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I don't plan to try additives or any other changes to the engine. Most of that is futile.

Driving sensibly with a light foot on the pedal is the smartest thing you can do. I also find that getting off the freeways and driving the 55 MPH highways is the best way to save on fuel. My best fuel mileage is always on the secondary roads. The bonus is it is way more interesting and enjoyable. The whole idea is to get out and see the country and not the back of a semi on the freeway.
MPG = Must Press Gently (the accelerator pedal).
Agree about keeping things around 55MPH, although longer routes at lower speeds may not
necessarily improve overall travel efficiency, but your mpgs will be better.
I also like to meander a bit, and see the terrain, not the terrailers.