Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Travel adjustments, due to high fuel costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezonit
The price of gas. Ha. Last November, it was way cheaper for me to fly AZ-MT-AZ than to drive the 2500 mile roundtrip.($250. flight round trip.) Left the van in AZ. Also, time is $. Four days of driving is a lot of time.I had my store open an extra 3 days= at least the price of the flight.
There is no good answer.
I'm beginning to think my future is gonna be an older, much bigger Class A, that I live in for the AZ time. For the same price I paid for my Class B(under $20K), I can get a 36 to 40 footer,about 15 years old, with luxurious huge interior, even washer hookups. It only has to drive from a storage yard to a site or two. So the 6 or 7mpg doesn't really matter.
It's already fully depreciated, so sitting in the sun is not going to affect the value. OR I could get a really nice pull trailer, for even less $, and move it -not far- with my van. ??
The big question will be on whether I continue to drive the 16 mpg van back and forth, or my 35mpg Accord? But then I have to get a motel room.... and use rest stop toilets again-- oh noooooooooo....
This popped up in another thread, and it seems like a great discussion point. There were a few follow up posts also. They can be found in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1733

In an effort to reduce annual expenses, should we consider moving our primary residence to a fairer climate, to eliminate the need to migrate twice a year. Then we could use our disposable income to travel to places we want to go, instead of escaping bad weather. It would also reduce the expense of maintaining two residence locations.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Travel adjustments, due to high fuel costs

I'd love to buy a small place or piece of property in the US south somewhere.
Alas, although self sufficient financially, I cannot emigrate to America legally,
as I don't qualify under any current category of allowable immigrant according to
ICE.
I would think that with our economies in the shape they're in today, either the US
or Canada would welcome ANY immigration effort when it involves someone who
wants to stimulate the economy of the target locale, by spending money there.
I'd be interested in helping somewhere like NV or AZ out by taking excess R/E off
the markets for them. Seems a shame to prevent people from living where they'd
like to.
Perhaps ICE should add an "older, self-sufficient, non-threatening, retiree" immigration
classification that would allow us to stay longer, perhaps permanently?
It would save us a ton of mpg.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Maybe you could get a "Student Visa", and live near a University. Apply for scholarships, live near a college, apply for citizenship, keep ICE busy for a few years.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Political asylum or persecution is probably my best bet.
I shouldn't have a lot of trouble proving I'm abused daily by excessive taxation.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Political asylum or persecution is probably my best bet.
I shouldn't have a lot of trouble proving I'm abused daily by excessive taxation.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Old 03-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I guess the sun is always brighter the farther south you go. My brother just retired and moved from El Paso, TX to Chelem, Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula. Think Mexico.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Canadians can be in USA for 6 months of 12, right? Summer in AZ mountains( not too hot), winter in tropical, just- over -the -border Mexico? I hear Puerto Penasco is full of Norte Americanos.
A big stationary RV in AZ, a smaller one (the B?) for road trips and Mexico. ?? You wouldn't be the only one.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
Platinum Member

"In an effort to reduce annual expenses, should we consider moving our primary residence to a fairer climate, to eliminate the need to migrate twice a year. Then we could use our disposable income to travel to places we want to go, instead of escaping bad weather. It would also reduce the expense of maintaining two residence locations."

Good discussion point, Photog.
Check out home prices in Desert Hot Springs, CA. For $50-70,000. you can get a 3/2 with garage in a decent neighborhood. Easy travel to Baja in the winter and the high Sierras in the summer. Great soaking in the springs, 30 minutes to Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 20 mins to lovely Palm Springs.

Hmmm, 2 or 3 of us chip in- $20-30,000. each? The only thing that keeps me from buying one of these deals myself is ongoing property tax and maintenance, I'd estimate at $2-300. a month. But split two or three ways.....

The chances of all 3 owners being "in residence" at the same time are slim, I think.
Non smoking, please.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
Platinum Member

We're still thinking about it. Our issue is the distance to drive just to get there.
If we were closer, like in a western province (Alberta), instead of Ontario, it would
be just over a long day's drive due south, instead of the 3+ day route we do now.
The differences in mileage are considerable.
For example, St. Catharines, ON to Yuma, AZ = > 2450 miles.
Lethbridge, AB to Yuma, AZ = > 1450 miles.
1000 fewer miles, and about a day and a half, to 2 days, drive time.

I gave smoking up 2.5 years ago. "Stupid is as stupid does"
Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Canadians can be in USA for 6 months of 12, right? Summer in AZ mountains( not too hot), winter in tropical, just- over -the -border Mexico? I hear Puerto Penasco is full of Norte Americanos.
A big stationary RV in AZ, a smaller one (the B?) for road trips and Mexico. ?? You wouldn't be the only one.
Actually, Ontarians can be out of province and country for 212 days (approx 7 months) of the year after
one of our senior citizens groups lobbied the provincial government to get it extended by another month.
Newfies (Canadians from Newfoundland) can be out of province/country for 8 months. The rest are 6 months.
I have no idea what the rules are for us to own property in the US, but I believe lots of my countrymen do it.
So, it's still a possibility, if the circumstances and legalities were all in a row, as well as the distance to get
there and back as we'd like to be able to come and go as we pleased, to some extent. It also depends on how
long the US of A will allow us to stay on any given trip. I wouldn't want to become a "nuisance resident alien".
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Platinum Member

A long day....? well, it takes me two long days from Montana to Parker, AZ. I still think a cheap base in the SW is the way to go. But it's the fixed costs- tax and maintenance-- that scare me, because they are not really fixed, are they? Boondocking looks better all the time.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Platinum Member

More boondocking in the future is my goal and how I am working to set up our B. I've never been fond of staying in private campgrounds especially the sardine packing ones for the big rigs.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
A long day....? well, it takes me two long days from Montana to Parker, AZ. I still think a cheap base in the SW is the way to go. But it's the fixed costs- tax and maintenance-- that scare me, because they are not really fixed, are they? Boondocking looks better all the time.
It's always been our fave - boondocking. Can't beat the price.
What scares me, is establishing the ground rules for a "commune", if we were to share a
place in the SW with some other people.
1) You have to like your partners. I mean REALLY LIKE THEM! So there's got to be some meet
and greets to see if it would work.
2) the place would have to be bought cash up front, so only monthly/annual expenses would be
involved going forward.
2) How do you schedule your time there? When it's cold up here, everyone wants to go south at the same time.
3) What if it doesn't work out? What is the non-acrimonious exit strategy?
4) some sort of contract with penalties for non-compliance with pre-established rules might be a good idea.
Anything else I've forgotten?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Yah.... I don't know if any commune has ever worked, except the religious ones. Let's don't go there.
Well, maybe a boondocking commune first, to see who gets along with who. I think there are lots of groups of RVers who travel like that-- 3-5 of them always staying together-- seems a good idea in a boondock situation. That way someone is probably always around.
I am in the SW in October/November (when I'm not in Mexico, or off on a bike trip) and Jan to April ( ditto)

My attraction to a "permanent" place is a garage for my bike. A regular storage garage in the part of AZ I stay is $150. a month.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Bikes are an inexpensive way to travel, until the hidden costs start popping up. Like storage.
The effects of bad weather on usage. $150/month? If that's the main issue, maybe your friends
down that way could help you out somehow and find a storage solution to make it a bit more
affordable? I guess a Goldwing won't fit where a Honda 50/90 will? Remember them? Vespas on steroids.

Maybe the commune issue is better addressed by one person buying, and several other approved "friends"
renting space to help pay the monthly/annual bills. But again, there are many points of failure for that
kind of setup too, I guess.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I have been hauling my bike(s) back and forth. I have places I can leave a bike. I have a friend who is in Parker Oct---April. My only problem with the Parker area is it's so far to an airport. 3.5 hrs one way. So, near Phoenix or Palm Springs would be better. ( shuttles from Palm Springs to LAX)
Well one of these days some of us B people will meet up down south and lots to talk about.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Aren't you basically discussing a Time Share concept? If you want that there are plenty of opportunities and lots of people that would like to unload one to you at a very cheap price.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Essentially yes. However we're trying to cut out the middle man (aka the property owner), who is
normally the only one who benefits from a standard time share setup, by becoming the middle
men ourselves.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Time share? Yuck, no. And now there's "fractional ownership".
I think someone above used the word "commune", also somewhat tainted.... Co-operative?
Shared ownership- needs a common bond. Recently met a guy who said he and 3 friends bought some acres near Bouse to set up their RV spots, where they share their off- roading hobby. Near where I live in Montana a group of firefighters from San Diego bought a lakefront RV Park about 10 years ago for about $200,000. 10 spaces at 20K each. That property is probably worth more than a million now.
I keep saying if I ever sold my property in MT, I'd never buy again-- the tax and maintenance headaches.....
Yet I keep looking at Desert Hot Springs...........
Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Desert Hot Springs?
Sounds nice.
How much?