Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Inverter or Generator

I am confused . I've read that lots of people don't like it when RVers use their generators because they're so noisy. Am I right that you can use an inverter instead of a generator or am I way off base?
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Inverter or Generator

Yes some generators are noisy, mine included. That's why most campgrounds have
specific "quiet time" when you aren't allowed to run them.
Generators and inverters are 2 different pieces of RV equipment that do 2 fairly
different things (that just happen to go together).
In my 2002 Roadtrek, they work like this.....

Generators turn gasoline (or some use propane) into electricity by a (noisy) mechanical process
and use an inverter (built in or separate) to make it usable as 110-120VAC power like
you'd have in your home wall outlets. They often also recharge your "house" or "coach" batteries
at the same time. My van has a couple of regular 2/3 prong plug style wall outlets to run electric "stuff"
while my generator is running, or when I'm plugged into "shore power" with the big black cord
which is located on the outside of my van. Laptops, TVs, chargers, cell phones or anything else
which needs AC current can run off them then.

I also have a few "cigarette lighter" type sockets located in the entertainment unit at the rear of my van
that are attached to my coach batteries. They can run "stuff" that has a plug that fits like a cigarette
lighter and only needs 12VDC power. I have a small dirt sucker vacuum cleaner that runs off 12VDC
power, and has a "bullet" shaped plug. It plugs straight into one of the 12VDC sockets and I can clean
up those little spills and messes off my coach battery power.

Inverters merely change the format of the electricity from 12VDC (like your vehicle or house/coach batteries)
into 110-120VAC power (like household current) for anything that needs AC power.

So, if you have a 12VDC to 110-120VAC inverter in your RV that can be connected to, and draws power
from your house/coach batteries, you can run your appliances that need AC current off those outlets
for as long as your batteries have power in them. When the coach batteries are drained, you'll need to
run your van's engine or your generator to recharge the batteries, so the inverter can again turn the DC
battery power into AC current to run your appliances. I have 2 small inverters (purchased at Canadian Tire)
that provide low wattage (less than 100W and 150W) AC power when plugged into the 12VDC power
sockets in my e-unit. I can then run my electric "stuff" that needs AC power off of the coach batteries,
which are actually stored DC power.
So I don't have to run my generator in that case, to use my low draw AC devices. (Until the batteries are drained)

Or, if you're in a proper campground with 30 amp power at your campsite, you might plug into shore power
which is also AC current to run your electric "stuff". It also often recharges your house/coach batteries while
you're plugged in.

So it pretty much depends on how much AC power you need for what you want to run, whether you'll need to run your generator to power whatever it is, or whether you can use an inverter to change the 12VDC coach/house battery power
into 110-120VAC power for short periods of time, before you have to then run your vehicle engine or your generator
to recharge your coach/house batteries.
Simple enough, eh?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I would say Mike really hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would add is most inverters produce a modified sine wave that may not be good for some devices. My choice is use both, that saves running the genny for small things but I cannot go without AC and that needs the genny.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That was an excellent response, Mike. The van I'm considering does not have an inverter, so that means I would need to purchase a couple of coach batteries and put them where? And the inverter where and is it easy (read VERY easy) to hook them up or should I get someone who knows more about it to do it?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Can you tell me a bit more about the make/model/year of the van you're considering?
It might not have an OEM inverter, but may have a coach battery(ies?) and a generator as
mine does. In that case, if it has wiring to the coach battery and cigarette lighter socket
style outlets, you may only need to get a couple of smallish portable inverters from Canadian
Tire or Best Buy or Radio Shack, and you'd be surprised at what sort of AC powered appliances
you can run with them, from your coach battery(ies?) power.
As I said, I have 2 of these little guys, one will handle up to 100 watts
of draw, the other handles 150 watts. I can run my TV, laptop, battery chargers, and cell phones
off them. A larger draw item like a microwave oven or a coffee maker, needs a much larger
(probably built in) inverter that can handle well over 1,000 watts of draw. Or, I can start up
my generator and use it to run them.

If, as you say, the van has neither coach batteries nor an inverter nor a generator, you may wish to
add them, to let you have more flexibility for your "dry camping" choice of locations (no facilities or amenities).
Sealed maintenance free AGM deep cycle batteries will be about C$200 or more each, and a 2800W Onan Microlite
generator will probably be at least C$6000.00 installed, if the generator connections were "roughed in" when
the van was originally converted to a class B by the manufacturer. If not, probably a lot more.
Inverters can cost a lot if they're big pure sine wave types, but most appliances don't need them. They
produce "clean" power that can be required by sensitive electronics, like computer related hardware.
Modified sine wave inverters are less expensive, and can be big enough to handle enough wattage that you
could use larger draw appliances for short periods, without depleting your batteries. Just so you
know what sort of money might be involved. Better to buy a "B" with this stuff already installed, I'd say.

If you do decide to add the power system, there are many factors involved in deciding what to get, and where
to put things, like will you be using dry AGM deep cycle batteries, or less expensive wet cells, what might you
plan to run off your battery system (maximum wattage/amperage draw?), will you need a pure or modified
sine wave inverter, will you add a solar charging system to get you "off the grid" and so on?

I'd have someone else help me make some of those decisions (and there are a few folks on here who
do have the expertise to help). The theory isn't that hard once you do a bit of research. It's the numbers
that I wouldn't be able to determine without help.
If you don't mind doing a lot more research, and talk to the right people, you might be able to do some of it yourself.

So, hard to say really. Not the answer you were expecting, but that's how I see it, and how I'd approach it.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Well, I did it. I bought a 1997 Coach House 194 RS. I looking over the brochure, I see it has a 110/12V 32-amp converter/charger, an auxiliary coach battery, dual battery start, battery isolator, 110 volt outlets and 12V lighting . It also has a 2.7 Onan Micro Lite generator.

Since your previous posts have been very easy to understand, perhaps you can tell me what I've got!

I will look up sine waves and see what they are and how they relate here.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
Platinum Member

You have a normal RV Congratulations on your purchase. You'll have lots of fun.

110/12V 32-amp converter/charger: - when plugged into a power outlet your converter/charger supplies 12v power to your lights and water pump etc. It also charges your auxiliary coach battery which is also referred to as your house battery.

auxiliary coach battery: - this battery powers the RV portion of your vehicle: lights, water pump, fans etc.

dual battery start: nice feature - most likely a switch on the dash - it will combine the motor battery and the house battery for emergency starting. Think of it as a jump start without having to hookup jumper cables.

battery isolator: - keeps the motor battery separate from the house battery so that you don't run the motor battery down when camping

110 volt outlets: - lets you plug in normal household items like a toaster or hairdryer when you are plugged into a power source at a campground or when your generator is running

12V lighting: your lights run off your house battery or your converter when plugged into a power source

2.7 Onan Micro Lite generator: your generator will supply 110v power to your RV. It is needed to run your RV air conditioner (if you have one) when you are not plugged into a 30 amp power source

Forget about sine waves for the moment and start reading about any and all propane references in the manuals that came with your van. I'm assuming you have some propane appliances. Your water heater, fridge and furnace will use propane.

There's a lot to learn but it is fun.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
Platinum Member

As markopolo says, you've bought a perfectly normal class B.
It has everything you'll need to camp and/or dry camp successfully.
Do your reading/research. Hardcopy manuals, or see if you can find an owner's manual
online that you can download. I find it easier to quickly find answers to things in an electronic form
with text search on my laptop.

Talk to other owners that you meet or see. When I got mine, I used to get little bits of
useful info from other owners I'd talk to in gas stations, shopping center parking lots, anywhere out there.
Most people (like me) love to talk about their rigs, and will answer your questions based on
their experience (as will most folks on this forum ).
Ask if they know of any local RV dealer/repair places that they trust or would use.
And ask questions here. If anyone on here knows the answer, or even part of it, they'll be glad to share their
knowledge and experience. I've learned volumes from the veterans on this site.

When you get a chance, really go over the van, end to end, and see what other power sources might be available.

I found my 2 X cig-lighter type 12VDC outlets in the cabinet (entertainment unit?) next to the beds, behind the old CRT TV.
This pic is my setup. I moved the new TV (under a green garbage bag to keep it dust free) to the rear of the e-unit
and exposed the 12VDC cigarette lighter outlets, which are in the wall outlet box with the white face plate on the back wall.
It's also freed up some storage space in the e-unit for whatever needs stored.
You can see the 2 low wattage draw portable inverters, one with the TV plugged (100W) and the other one (150W)
unplugged to show the plug type. As you can see, I just plugged the TV's 110VAC plug into the mini-inverter. If you have a TV in your van, it may be plugged into one of these types of outlets, as a lot of vans came with TVs that operated on 12VDC, like mine did. I now use the newer TV that needs 110VAC, so I have to now use the mini-inverters. The one I use for the TV has an on/off switch too, so I can keep the TV from drawing down my batteries, when I'm not using it. The white stuff under the inverters on the shelf is that rubberized anti-slip "shelf-paper" I mentioned in another thread.
Power to the 2 cigarette lighter sockets is enabled or disabled from a switch on my Monitor Panel. Bottom right is the battery enable switch, enabled, with the little red power indicator lit. Sorry, pic is a bit blurry. Anything that needs 12V DC power in the van, including the lights and appliances, and the CO and Propane detectors, the furnace and water heater and fridge, all get it from the coach batteries, when that switch is enabled. Except the vehicle engine which starts from the vehicle battery under the hood. Your van has a battery "emergency boost" setup so you can draw extra current to start your engine from your coach battery. That's a nice feature, wish mine had it (it does, sort of, if I wanted to run a booster cable from one of the the coach batteries to the engine compartment, it might help ).

Have fun, explore what you've got.
However, if you're ever not sure about anything, STOP, DON'T GUESS, ASK SOMEONE, is always a good rule of thumb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTRVbatteriystuff 004.jpg (136.2 KB, 1395 views)
File Type: jpg RTRVbatteriystuff 002.jpg (144.1 KB, 1395 views)
File Type: jpg RTRVbatteriystuff 006.jpg (136.2 KB, 1395 views)
Old 12-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

You guys have been awesome! Thanks so much. I will definitely take your advice and go over it head to toe once it's delivered. And since I'm leary of propane anyway (even though I have a fireplace in my home that uses it) I'll definitely learn all I can about that one.

Now if summer wasn't so far away.....