Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #1

Default Clicking noise coming from the Converter, Is this normal.

I have recently bought a 95 Roadtrek on a chey body.

I plugged the shore power in and I am hearing a clicking noise and a Hum coming
from the converter. Is this normal??? The microwave and tv works and the
lights are also working.

Thanks for your help.

Bernie
Berniewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Clicking noise coming from the Converter, Is this normal.

You have to measure voltage to see if the converter is working. Use a volt meter or multimeter and measure at your house battery. It should show more than 13volts when the converter is on.

Microwave is 120v so nothing to do with the converter. TV could be 12v or 120v - depends what you have. Lights are 12v and would be running from the battery is the converter is not working.

A hum is normal. All converters that I've had make some noise. Some buzz a bit. Does the hum go away when you turn on a light? That sometimes happens too. I don't know about the clicking sound though. I know it is hard to describe the noises. I have a converter that is failing and makes all sorts of buzzing and static like sounds. It quits often. I can tell by looking at a wall mounted meter I have. The voltage drops to 12.6v or lower. I unplug then re-plug the converted into an outlet and it will work again for a while. I'm just waiting for my new one to arrive.

I'd suggest checking the voltage periodically on yours for a day or so and if the converter output is around 13.6 volts then that is good.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniewolff
I have recently bought a 95 Roadtrek on a chey body.

I plugged the shore power in and I am hearing a clicking noise and a Hum coming
from the converter. Is this normal??? The microwave and tv works and the
lights are also working.

Thanks for your help.

Bernie
As markopolo says, hum yes/maybe, click probably not.
Was anything else on, like the water pump? Mine groans on occasion when I switch it on,
but it's not really a clicking noise, more like a steady groan. It's near my converter, so
that's why I mention it.

If googling doesn't find you anything, I'd send a note to Roadtrek Service and ask your
question, they often have the answer, or a good idea of who else to contact.
service@roadtrek.com - Include your year and model and VIN number with your question.

You could also ask the question of the converter manufacturer. That should be on the face
plate or cover, or listed in the owner's manual (I downloaded a copy and it's actually in
section "J" near the end of the online PDF version) as a "Magnatek converter" based in
Kokoma, IN. (If they still exist?).

Or, contact Best Converter and "ask Randy". They list many types of converters and seem
to be pretty good at support and replacement parts supply (if it comes to that )
http://www.bestconverter.com/

Good luck.

UPDATE: I googled "magnatek/magnetek converter clicking noise" and one or two hits mentioned
the relay which automatically switches the RV 12V power source off the coach batter(y)ies and onto
the converter for 12V when you plug in to shore power or use your generator (if you have one). They
suggested the relay can get corroded over time and sometimes sticks and keeps trying to switch
power sources, unsuccessfully. I think it also is supposed to allow the coach batter(y)ies to charge when
plugged in to shore power, and then switch away from them when they are fully charged.
It's also supposed to switch back to batteries when you unplug from shore, or shut down your genset.
According to some blogs, it can be fixed/cleaned up if it's not too far gone,
but that would be a diy project that could be dangerous if you're not well versed in RV electrical systems.
It may be that the relay needs to be replaced if that's the problem.
Another possible diy, but with the same caveat.
Again, good luck.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I realize this is a few months old, but when I was searching for the same problem I ran across the apparent answer. When your battery switch is on, and the house batteries get below a certain voltage (10.5 ?), and you plug into shore power, the converter will click because it is not seeing high enough voltage to start charging. All you have to do is start the engine for a few seconds to show 12 + volts to the converter on the batteries, then shut off the engine. The converter will now charge fine without clicking. It works for me every time.

bob
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote