Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Advancing Alvar

We are buying a new Advanced RV Class B Mercedes Benz Sprinter.

Monday, May 5, 2014, Alvar was conceived. Why Alvar? First, Advanced RV has a penchant for naming all of their Class B vans. Secondly, I went with that spirit wanted to do the naming. Alvar was a name I lobbied for my son and my two grandsons with no fruition and total dismissal. And, I thought Alvar Stovall was a alliterative, poetic name.

Alvar is for Alvar Aalto a famous Finnish architect of the 20th Century and probably the architect I most admired in my architectural education. Thirdly, have you looked at the cabinetry of an Advanced RV? See any similarity?

1939 World’s Fair Finnish Pavilion and Advanced RV Upper Cabinets

So, Alvar it is. The first step was to go back to Advanced RV after the Fest to sit down with Advanced RV and choose a Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis and all the basic and desired options. We had made our decision ahead of time and attended Advanced Fest more as a formality and to continue our social aspects of meeting with other Class B owners. If anything, I was encouraged and reinforced in our decision.

Then we spent an exhaustive day Monday picking the desired color of the B (Graphite Grey Metallic, BTW), the interior finishes and on and on. Our first commitment step was to put down a refundable deposit to get the Sprinter ordered and in the queue. Advanced RV will come back with a package of information from which we will agree on and then make another deposit that will be a firm commitment so more things like ordering of materials and cabinet construction can commence or at least get scheduled.

There will be some design changes to their standard inside layout. I sent a drawing in advance of Advanced Fest to let them know of our desires. After looking at their Bs and seeing what else had been built we started discussing modifications. So those things have yet to be worked out, but we have a pretty good mutual understanding of our goals. The important thing is Advanced RV seems as enthusiastic about our design as we are.

Our best estimate is this may be around an 8 month process. That could change. We know we will have to continue our travels in our Great West Legend this summer and fall, but our goal is to go to Arizona in the 2015 winter/spring time frame with a dry camping B. Ordering for the 2015 Sprinter chassis can begin this coming Monday. We desired that even though supposedly there are no changes. We hope this doesn’t delay too much but there will be a delay over ordering a 2014 chassis.

That’s where we are today. Stay tuned.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Advancing Alvar

Congratulations on the new baby.
We didn't know you were pregnant.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:04 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I am very happy for you. Advanced RV seem to make outstanding RVs. Would this be a similar layout to what you now have? I note you are having it custom made to your own liking which is an advantage of Advanced RV. No doubt you will have a lot more battery or solar power for dry camping and so on.

We are pretty much committed to buying here in Canada as the Canada/US dollar rate is a problem for us. I am going to visit GWV in WInnipeg and LTV in Winkler, Manitoba early this June while visiting my siblings and their entourage in Winnipeg.

Look forward to your updates.

Best regards,

Al
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler1
I am very happy for you. Advanced RV seem to make outstanding RVs. Would this be a similar layout to what you now have? I note you are having it custom made to your own liking which is an advantage of Advanced RV. No doubt you will have a lot more battery or solar power for dry camping and so on.

We are pretty much committed to buying here in Canada as the Canada/US dollar rate is a problem for us. I am going to visit GWV in WInnipeg and LTV in Winkler, Manitoba early this June while visiting my siblings and their entourage in Winnipeg.

Best regards,

Al
The difference is currently around 9% between us and them. A unit selling for C$100,000 here would be cheaper in the US at US$90,000 or less. I think you could probably find a US dealer or seller that would give you at least that much of a break or more on an identical unit to make a sale, and the import process isn't that difficult. It took us less than a month to complete the importation of a trailer purchased in the US last year and we saved about 30% over the best price we could find in Canada. The few Canadian RV dealers I've spoken to about price over the last 6 years, don't seem as flexible and ready to deal, as their American counterparts. US MSRP and list prices usually start lower than here, too. I think they know most Canadians won't try cross border shopping, and so they don't think they need to worry about it.
I know it's not for everyone, but we always compare our prices to theirs when we're looking at a big ticket purchase, because the savings can be on the same scale.
Just food for thought. You're close to Minnesota? Maybe Davydd knows where the deals are?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:

Best regards,

Al

arent' some of the new roadtrek models(cs) similiar?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
We, too, were planning a trip to Winnipeg--to pick up our new GWV Legend. Our travel plans have changed, however:

http://www.cjob.com/2014/05/08/frozen-p ... he-border/
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51

Similar as in Ford to Lamborghini?
Old 05-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
Platinum Member

There are no Advanced RV dealers. You deal directly with Advanced RV. That was one reason we went to Advanced Fest because their whole staff was there over the weekend to interact and hold workshops with reps from companies like Mercedes Benz, AB Air Suspension from Holland, Outback and TheFitRV.com. They are also setting up an RV rental company so you could rent an Advanced RV if you desire. They had two for rental plus, Mzungo, the Concept RV they have been traveling the country with. In addition they had about a half dozen RVs under conversion at various stages. Then there were a few owners there with their own unique conversions. In essence it was way more than you could get or learn from a dealer.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
Quote:
We, too, were planning a trip to Winnipeg--to pick up our new GWV Legend. Our travel plans have changed, however:

Are you kidding me-hasn't Canada at times always had cold weather-this can't be new?

on the other hand i'm sure alabama will be lower cost to small company-especially with Obamacare for employees
Old 05-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Quote:

Similar as in Ford to Lamborghini?

i'm a low class guy-
advance Rv is out of my price range.what can i say
Old 05-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you kidding me-hasn't Canada at times always had cold weather-this can't be new?
Dunno. But they absolutely have been without water since March. We have had a front-row seat, since this has directly affected the production of our van. Dave D. (the owner) told us that the frost line was 7 feet deep this winter. They tried fairly heroic methods to thaw the water line, but they all failed.

[Davy: sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Congrats, BTW]
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

on the other hand i'm sure alabama will be lower cost to small company-especially with Obamacare for employees
I'm sure the water thing is just an excuse to move south, where the labor is probably cheaper, Alabama is a right to work state, and for the healthcare perk you mentioned. It's closer to South Carolina where the Sprinter chassis are made. Probably lower state taxes and a slew of other advantages for a small to medium sized business to relocate there. We drove past what looked like a brand new Kia plant on the Alabama/Georgia border last month. It's a wonder they all don't move south of the border, considering the potential advantages. The federal business tax rate might be the only negative, 40% US versus 26.5% Canada, but the rest may offset it to some extent, if it's even a factor.
And the pipes won't freeze.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #13
Platinum Member

While I agree that the Advanced RV technology is very good, and we would love to have it, you are also buying an awful lot of glitz, simple because they pretty much have to build it that way to attract the folks that have that much money. I can't say how much of the cost is practical stuff, and what isn't, but I am sure it is quite a bit. Especially if I am doing the off grid thing, less fancy is good for us. Less worry about wrecking something expensive if isn't expensive to start out with. I think we would be uncomfortable in a $180K class B with fancy everything, just as we would be uncomfortable in a mansion in a gated community.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Re: Advancing Alvaro

I don't see it as glitz but more of quality. I do get to pick my own finishes in regard to counters, cabinets, upholstery, floors, curtains and even wall and ceiling. But more important is what you don't see behind those finishes in a B such as the insulation and soundproofing. I've dealt with custom cabinet makers my entire architectural career and their cabinet shop is equal to the best and far superior to any other Class B. I may be going a tad overboard but am getting real leather for all upholstery. Unlike the excuse Winnebago gives for unmatched cab seats in not reupholstering because of the seat airbags, Advanced RV does not seem to have that problem.

Exterior wise there will be no swoops and swirls, names, etc. It will be rather stealth in appearance as the only apparent RV attachments will be the electrical connection and I could have that concealed as well. We will be going propane less so there will be no furnace venting. Compression electric refrigerator will eliminate the tell tale up and down vents. All plumbing is totally concealed and there aren't even any evident latching in view. I was free to select any available Sprinter color.

For equipment Advanced RV seems to seek out the best available. Why argue with that? Without propane (and no generator) and a desire for better stealth dry camping that means we are buying into what they term their ecoOasis design system which they sit down and try to tailor to your style. So basically we are relying on our 9 year experience of over 120,000 miles including to Alaska and back. Right now that is looking like four lithium ion batteries and over 250 watts solar to meet what I listed out for them. They can do much more than that like over 500 watts solar and 7 batteries. There will be diesel fired Espar heating and hot water. Their will be a second alternator with M-B high idle option. We can program the Sprinter to automatically start to charge low batteries if necessary. They incorporate the Silverlight control system to run everything.

Interior design layout wise the Genesis of the layout basically sprung from Great West Vans and Pleaure-way Plateau which is the identical evolutionary process Mike Neundorfer, the owner of Advanced RV went through. So we are not very far apart in that basic design layout regard yet I will have the freedom to make design changes that no other B converter, including Sportsmobile, could accommodate. And changes I am making.

So is that "glitz" or just a no compromise pursuit? Yes, we can afford it. We could afford a fancy Class A if we wanted, but a bigger RV is not a desire. Maximum interior comfort, better dry camping, continued go anywhere B advantage, driving comfort and safety, and being able to brew coffee anytime, anywhere is what we desire. I should add this is an evolutionary process based on our B experience and no other B converter would be able to satisfy us to the depth we are going.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't see it as glitz but more of quality. I do get to pick my own finishes in regard to counters, cabinets, upholstery, floors, curtains and even wall and ceiling. But more important is what you don't see behind those finishes in a B such as the insulation and soundproofing. I've dealt with custom cabinet makers my entire architectural career and their cabinet shop is equal to the best and far superior to any other Class B. I may be going a tad overboard but am getting real leather for all upholstery. Unlike the excuse Winnebago gives for unmatched cab seats in not reupholstering because of the seat airbags, Advanced RV does not seem to have that problem.

Exterior wise there will be no swoops and swirls, names, etc. It will be rather stealth in appearance as the only apparent RV attachments will be the electrical connection and I could have that concealed as well. We will be going propane less so there will be no furnace venting. Compression electric refrigerator will eliminate the tell tale up and down vents. All plumbing is totally concealed and there aren't even any evident latching in view. I was free to select any available Sprinter color.

For equipment Advanced RV seems to seek out the best available. Why argue with that? Without propane (and no generator) and a desire for better stealth dry camping that means we are buying into what they term their ecoOasis design system which they sit down and try to tailor to your style. So basically we are relying on our 9 year experience of over 120,000 miles including to Alaska and back. Right now that is looking like four lithium ion batteries and over 250 watts solar to meet what I listed out for them. They can do much more than that like over 500 watts solar and 7 batteries. There will be diesel fired Espar heating and hot water. Their will be a second alternator with M-B high idle option. We can program the Sprinter to automatically start to charge low batteries if necessary. They incorporate the Silverlight control system to run everything.

Interior design layout wise the Genesis of the layout basically sprung from Great West Vans and Pleaure-way Plateau which is the identical evolutionary process Mike Neundorfer, the owner of Advanced RV went through. So we are not very far apart in that basic design layout regard yet I will have the freedom to make design changes that no other B converter, including Sportsmobile, could accommodate. And changes I am making.

So is that "glitz" or just a no compromise pursuit? Yes, we can afford it. We could afford a fancy Class A if we wanted, but a bigger RV is not a desire. Maximum interior comfort, better dry camping, continued go anywhere B advantage, driving comfort and safety, and being able to brew coffee anytime, anywhere is what we desire. I should add this is an evolutionary process based on our B experience and no other B converter would be able to satisfy us to the depth we are going.

Davydd -what about air conditioning ?
Old 05-12-2014, 01:35 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Best regards,

Al

Yes. Roadtreks are excellent too but they are based, I believe, in Ontario, out East which is a fair hike from here.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:41 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:

Best regards,

Al
The difference is currently around 9% between us and them. A unit selling for C$100,000 here would be cheaper in the US at US$90,000 or less. I think you could probably find a US dealer or seller that would give you at least that much of a break or more on an identical unit to make a sale, and the import process isn't that difficult. It took us less than a month to complete the importation of a trailer purchased in the US last year and we saved about 30% over the best price we could find in Canada. The few Canadian RV dealers I've spoken to about price over the last 6 years, don't seem as flexible and ready to deal, as their American counterparts. US MSRP and list prices usually start lower than here, too. I think they know most Canadians won't try cross border shopping, and so they don't think they need to worry about it.
I know it's not for everyone, but we always compare our prices to theirs when we're looking at a big ticket purchase, because the savings can be on the same scale.
Just food for thought. You're close to Minnesota? Maybe Davydd knows where the deals are?
Actually, Mike, you make good points. I havent considered a US purchase before because I was under the impression that US models were not compliant for Canadian specs & I might have trouble registering here, but people are doing it ok. I was under the impression that a B made in Canada for US destination is different to meet US specs and the Canadian models for sale here are not the same. Is that correct?

I have noted way better asking prices from many US dealers which I could reach by plane or car from Vancouver,BC.
Thanks your info and any further extrapolation would be appreciated.
AL
Old 05-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Best regards,

Al

don't roadtreks have dealerships-that's rhetorical because i have 2 within 2 hours of me and i live in massachsetts. i/m sure they have one near your

Yes. Roadtreks are excellent too but they are based, I believe, in Ontario, out East which is a fair hike from here.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Roadtrek does have a dealer network-i'm sure they must have one in your vicinity
Old 05-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Davydd -what about air conditioning ?
It will have a 15,000 btu air conditioner. Historically we rarely run our air conditioner now because of travel planing for time and location and have never run it while running the generator. We will be able to run for a couple of hours off the battery bank with solar and running the diesel engine as backup if the batteries overly discharge. I figure if we absolutely need air conditioning we would seek shore power hookups if necessary and that is pretty common in state parks. We will also have rear door and sliding door screens and more windows with screens than the average B or small C. That combination keeps the inside of the van equalized with the outside temperature. I suppose our biggest concern would be traveling with our cat and being away from our B for short periods thus the short term air conditioning. Right now we don't travel with our cat if we anticipate high heat situations like being in Indiana right now. Actually I hate air conditioning and I detest the use of generators in campgrounds when people profess seeking quiet serenity with nature.