OLD SCHOOL CLASS B`s

Talk about anything related to Class B RV Motorhome Camping Van Conversions here. Got a question? Know the answer? Post it all here.

OLD SCHOOL CLASS B`s

Postby abacusblack » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:20 pm

Hello fellow B`s.

I have noticed that the majority of posts are for the newer class B vans. Are there any members such as myself who own one of the excellent made original class B van conversions from the 70`s and 80`s? These "OLD SCHOOL" B`s have many of the options that the newer ones have or can be easily custom fitted. I have a 1981 19ft. Dodge Class B and a 1979 Ford Chat eau custom van both which I use for short or extended camping trips. I wonder if there are enough members or guests with an original class B who would like to see some representation on this excellent site. ps tried to upload pictures of both vans but was not successful.
abacusblack
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Camping Generators.

Postby abacusblack » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:08 am

Hi. Does anyone have experience with a Coleman portable generator 1800 watt with the sabaru engine? They were offered at Cosco earlier this year for $500 but I can`t seem to locate one now. Appreciate any info about them . Thanks.
abacusblack
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby markopolo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:45 am

re: Coleman Generator

here's a link for more info and you can download an owner manual

http://www.powermate.com/generators/pro ... 0431802.01

I once inquired about a similar looking Coleman unit (it had a Briggs & Stratton motor) The salesman said it would be too loud for camping (his opinion).

The Subaru motor might not be as loud.
markopolo
Site Admin

My RV: '97 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van

Postby abacusblack » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:35 am

Yes Marko Polo You are correct, The Briggs and Strat is loud and they are built for short periods of use. The Sabaru engine is a 4 stroke overhead valves and is designed for RV type use. I figured it was a good looking generator and cheaper than a Honda. I have found this model at Roma, Home Depot and Cosco but they all have the Briggs and Straten. It seems that this unit would be good for a class B. Now you need a special approved generator for California too. Thanks again Marko.
abacusblack
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Generators

Postby VernM » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:11 pm

The important thing about generators is the quality of the electrical output. And the regulation. Modern electronics want a pretty good sine wave regulated 120 volts or close to it. Those older generators, such as the Briggs and Stratton powered Colemans, did not create a very good sine wave and varied voltage by load up to 145 volts at times. Both can be killers to computers, printers and other electronics.

Okay for resistive loads such as heaters and some air conditioners, but you get what you pay for.
VernM
GMC Conversion Van and WellsCargo traiiler

VernM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby lefty » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:20 am

Jeepers , talk about hijacking a thread with questions regarding crappy coleman generators !! I think any class b rv manufactured before 1990 is old school , and yes , I'm interested in any modern upgrades ! We have a 1988 Islander Goldstream II on a Dodge b350 platform. I've installed a modern 4 speed overdrive trans , upgraded curtains , fantastic fan , vents, and travel with a Boily generator and and and..... what '' stuff '' can you share ???? I really like the '' later '' pre 1994 class b's . When it says '' 350 '' , it's a real 1 ton , with real 1 ton brakes and suspension . Any takers ?
lefty
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Cornbread Red » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:04 pm

My old Horizon is based on a Chevy 200 chassis. It's hell-for-stout and gets the job done with few problems. I pay the cheapest vehicle taxes (Plates, registration) each year, and I don't see buying anything else newer, likely ever.

Chip
Boondock traveler, Frugal, but never "cheap".
Cornbread Red
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby lefty » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey Chip , I've read in your previous posts you use an external shower. My camper van ( 1988-89 Dodge wide body ) has no water heater . I've purchased Coleman's instant water heater , and it works like a hot dm! It even comes with a shower head attachment . So I'm going to rig up a small '' privacy'' house and try this setup using a 10 gallon water jug. The only problem is water runoff and wet feet . I've got to either make something to stand on which also collects the ''grey'' water . Any ideas ?
lefty
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby Cornbread Red » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:20 am

Well, you could either make or "appropiate" a lattice-or pallet to stand on.. But myself, I use a small washtub that also is used for other purposes.

I also have a collapsable vinyl trash can from Harbor Freight. It's too tall to get in and out of, but they go on sale all the time around here for about four dollars, so I might take a pair of scissors to one and experiment.

The washtub I use is advertised as a "Keg Cooler", and it's wide at the sides.

Chip
Boondock traveler, Frugal, but never "cheap".
Cornbread Red
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby kenking » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:58 pm

kenking
Silver Member
Silver Member

Postby Wanderer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:34 pm

I would be interested in old school Class Bs - just purchased 1989 Chinook on 1 ton Ford Chassis and would love to see pics of others or similiar. I will post some pics soon.
Wanderer

Next

Return to General Discussion Forum